It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A contradiction in the bible

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Thank you for that post. I was gonna say to him that reading the actual context of Genesis 6 would help distinguish who these "sons and daughters of God" were.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
here are a few more contadictions

Here is a short and incomplete list of Biblical contradictions which were obtained from postings in internet newsgroups. Unfortunately I did not record who posted them or if they have a web site with a longer and more complete list. If you like this page you might also like Contradictions of the Gospel and this List of Biblical Contradictions at www.infidels.org

If the Bible was divinely inspired, then why would it have so many really obvious contradictions?

Theological doctrines:

1. God is satisfied with his works
Gen 1:31
God is dissatisfied with his works.
Gen 6:6
2. God dwells in chosen temples
2 Chron 7:12,16
God dwells not in temples
Acts 7:48
3. God dwells in light
Tim 6:16
God dwells in darkness
1 Kings 8:12/ Ps 18:11/ Ps 97:2
4. God is seen and heard
Ex 33:23/ Ex 33:11/ Gen 3:9,10/ Gen 32:30/ Is 6:1/
Ex 24:9-11
God is invisible and cannot be heard
John 1:18/ John 5:37/ Ex 33:20/ 1 Tim 6:16
5. God is tired and rests
Ex 31:17
God is never tired and never rests
Is 40:28

the bible has so many that i just dont see why anyone believs in this stuff
heres the site that has points out a ton of flaws in the bible

www.evilbible.com...
Geat thread S&F!

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Maybe because it like you saying you are happy to have worked today and earned money but the next day you are not happy to have gone into work because you did not earn money. You have to find the meaning to why certain things are addressed.

3. God dwells in light
God dwells in darkness
4. God is seen and heard

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

1=1
3=1
1=3

Exactly right. Considering the context being in the spirit world. This kind of thing would be the norm.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90

Theological doctrines:

Yes, initially, God's creation was all good. Humans were created perfect but with free will. Adam and Eve ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil which caused them to be imperfect and sinful since they disobeyed God's rules.

The LORD grieved for creating man because man, through free will, decided to be evil over good. This is not a contradicition of the initial satement that God thought everything was good upon completion of creation. This is a weak "contradiciton" argument.

[quote]

Notice here that you have God dwelling in temples in the Old Testament and not dwelling in temples in the New Testament. Hmmm? Is that a contradiction? Well, if you read the bible in it's context, you'll learn that when Jesus died on the cross, the veil of the temple split in half and the need for a temple was no more. Jesus' sacrifice stopped the need of temple sacrifices, therefore, God does not dwell in physical temples any longer. Instead, He dwells in the temples of our bodies. No contradiction there.... just symbolism being fulfilled.

3. God dwells in light
God dwells in darkness

First off, you didn't specify weather it was 1 Timothy or 2 Timothy... that alone makes this argument void on your part. God dwells in light and darkness. He's a beacon of light in our lives. He dwells within us in darkness as our beacon of light. "Thou I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil." That is a psalm speaking of God's beacon of light in our darkest hours.

4. God is seen and heard

If you notice, where God is referenced as seen and heard, it's all in the Old Testament. In this case, God is refered to as "Jehovah" or YHWH which was Jesus before His fleshly birth. Jesus co-existed with God. Jesus was the burning bush Moses saw. You have the Father (which no one has seen) and Son (whom many have seen). In the New Testament, Jesus speaks of the Father... a diety not known to the Jews as Jesus was the YHWH of the OT the Jews called "God".

Nowhere in Exodus does it say God was tired. Indeed, He rested after creation. That doesn't mean He was tired. He was simply done with His work and decided to take a break. He made that 7th day holy and called it the Sabbath. The verse in Isaiah does not say God "Never Rests" as you put it. It says that God never grows weary and tired.

the bible has so many that i just dont see why anyone believs in this stuff
heres the site that has points out a ton of flaws in the bible

www.evilbible.com...
Geat thread S&F!

The place you got these stupid "contradictions" from did a very, very poor research job and was trying too hard to discredit the bible. A knowledgeable person knows that this poor attempt was a failure. Back to the drawing board my friend.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
To further the idea that the Bible presents Jesus and God as different personas:

Mark 10:18

And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthOverload

Nicely done my friend!

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I really don't understand why this has been such a troublesome thing to digest. Just sit and think about it for a minute. I mean, REALLY think about it. Look at your hands, then look at your feet. Look at your arms and legs. Then think about your body as a whole. Think about your brain. You have the frontal lobe and temporal lobe. There is the parietal lobe and occipital lobe. Of course there is also the brain stem and cerebellum. Is your brain complete without all of these? Why or why not?

Here to help you wonder,
Respectfully,
A2D

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Hey Loco--

If you REALLY cannot see the contradictioins between the (2) creation myths of the Jews in Genesis (Creation Myth #1 - Gen 1:1 to 2:4a, same Hezekielite accent is continued in Gen 5:1-2) and (Creation Myth #2 - Genesis 2:4b to 4:26) then...maybe...perhaps...you can't read unpointed paleoHebrew and maybe (just a thought !!) you might want seriously to think about taking a Basic PaleoHebrew class so you CAN see the differences in vocabulary, spelling, theology, Weltanschauung, syntax, the different name of the creator-deity, sentence length, ideology, grammar & style between the two accounts.

Hint: they are each written with a different Hebrew accent, which means different literary sources and editors were at work at different periods.

But, then again, you would have to be able to read paleoHebrew to know that...and we're talking about ONLY the first few chapters of the 'bible': there are several hundred major contradictions throughout the messy hotchpotch of texts that came to be voted in to the biblical canon (the Old Testament for example was NOT formally canonised by the Rebbes until the Counccil of Javneh/Jamnia c. CE 90 - long AFTER the area called Palestine/Israel/Judah was ground to powder by the Romans in the 1st failed Jewish War against Rome (CE 66-72). They were still arguing over whether the Scroll of the Book of ESTHER 'defiled the hands'or not as late a AD 120 - and R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean ('Jeeezuzz') did NOT have an old testament to read from as we do today between two covers - as the time capsule Dead Sea Scroll caves (1-11) show clearly (sealed up in AD 68, long after the good Rebbe was executed for armed sedition against Rome in 36 CE at the 100th anniversary of the Invasion of the Roman General Pompey in 63 BCE).

Books in cave 4 were being copied and quoted during the lifetime of 'Jeeezzuzzz' that were NOT part of the later Old Testament canon (e.g. the Scroll of the Book of the Words of Henoch, quoted in Jude chapter 1:14) and the Scroll of the Book of the Testaments of the 12 Patriarchs being the Sons of Yakkov to All the Sons of Light in the Last Days (quoted by 'Jeezzuzz' at the Woman of the Well pericope in the 4th Greek Canonical Gospel ('for The Salvation of Israel shall come from the Judaeans' see Test Naphtali 9:13) and the Scroll of the Book of the Testament of Moses (aka Book of Jubilees) and The Scroll of the Book of the Wisdom of Yeshua ben Sirach (aka Ecclesiasticus) &tc. all of which were known and widely quoted by the earliest Christians, including their founder (Gk. iesous).

And the later so-called NEW Testament was not formally canonised into its present form until after c. 464 CE - the bishops in various places in Christian lands STILL included the Scroll of the Book of the Shepherd of Hermas and the collection known as the Epistle of Barnabas in the Codex Sinaiticus (copied around the year c. 380 CE), and many 'bibles' prior to the 5th century completely left out the Pastorals (I-II Timothy & Titus) as well as the Apocalypse of Yohanon the Levite (aka Book of Revelation).

So you don't even have a recogniseable BIBLE in your hands until way into the 5th century AD - which makes any arguments however feeble or valid (depending: I've seen both types discussed) about 'apparent or hidden contradictions' in any given text (or between any purported set of given texts) far more 'complicated' since they were not even agreed upon until centuries after they were first written (the MSS contradictions in all the different text families from Qumran to the protoMasoretic to all the contradictory Greek Septuaginta LXX texts e.g. Symmachus v. Aquila v. Theodotion etc.) make this subject area a very deep well for further discussion -

And the fact that there are 5446 surviving Greek copies of books later included in the so-called New Testament - of which NO TWO ARE ALIKE - makes it even more of a discussion for further thoughts / serious reflections by thinking persons who bother to learn the ancient languages they were written and copied in originally and to examine the state of the texts as they have come down to us (hint: it's quite a CONTRADICTORY textual mess if you are able to look at the texts themselves and compare them line by line and letter for letter).

Please tell me you were at least AWARE of all of this information before ---or maybe you've just never read (or understood !) any of my NUMEROUS like-comments in my NUMEROUS previous postings on these types of threadlets that I have taken time and effort to address?

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Sigismundus]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Locoman8
Yes, initially, God's creation was all good. Humans were created perfect but with free will. Adam and Eve ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil which caused them to be imperfect and sinful since they disobeyed God's rules.

then god is not all knowing thus debunking the entire bible

riddle me this

"Is [God] willing to prevent evil, but not able? then is he impotent. Is he able, but not willing? then is he malevolent. Is he both able and willing? whence then is evil?"-Epicurus.

its not really a question but what do you have to say about it?

[edit on 30-3-2010 by ashanu90]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90

then god is not all knowing thus debunking the entire bible

riddle me this

"Is [God] willing to prevent evil, but not able? then is he impotent. Is he able, but not willing? then is he malevolent. Is he both able and willing? whence then is evil?"-Epicurus.

its not really a question but what do you have to say about it?

[edit on 30-3-2010 by ashanu90]

Hi ash/
Locoman is correct!
Man 'disobeyed' Gods ONLY, commandment!
The choice that man made,was to disobey Gods ONLY commandment...
SIN(literally means to BREAK AWAY-MISS THE MARK) EQUALS death....both body and SOUL died...man and God were seperated.

Is God willing to prevent EVIL?
Of course!
God is and will always be the same as He always was!
God made man with a free will, as He also made the angelic world with a free will.
Angels praised God before man was created....it was AFTER the PRIDE of Lucifer that the Fallen angels became Demons and followed their leader Satan,who was renamed because of his pride to rise above God.

Interference of man's Free will?
God created man with a body and SOUL!
Angels are BODILESS beings!
Ghosts?
Spirits?
Man has a choice to be a slave to Satan or to obey Gods commandments for benefitig both BODY and SOUL!

EVIL came from the fallen Angel ''LUCIFER'' who was the first to TEMPT man to be like God eg/all knowing!
Man had no prior knowledge of EVIL....all that was created was GOOD!
Man was created to live forever....no Bodily DEATH!
see...Revelation 22:3 the tree of life,a symbol of Christ Himslef,gives Immortality.
It fulfills the Tree of Life in Paradise(Genesis 3:22)and the other Tree of Life,The Cross of the Saviour-a Tree of the curse(Gala3:13)But there is NO MORE curse(V.3)in the Holy city:the CURSE of Genesis3:14-19 is REVERSED....
Many verses in the Old Testament point to the coming of a Saviour...

Since man has a choice whom to follow,God allows and will ALLOW evil because He has given man a free will....it will only stop when the Judgement of mankind is finalised ''The end of the World''

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Even though technically the trinity is 3 gods, it is actually the same god, the father is god in heaven, the son is Jesus or god in physical form, and the holy ghost is the spirit that enters your soul when you accept Jesus Christ as your personal lord and savior hope this helps clear up any confusion!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
wow...

some of you "god fearing christians" are just eaten up with the faith aren't you?

don't think for yourself by all means...let some god give you freewill...

evilbible.com is a wonderful place to use to convert all your friends to christianity. just tell them to go there and disprove what he says......

any takers?

I will be showing all the jehovahs witness goofballs that disturb me on Saturdays that website and send them on their way so they can go save the world.

locoman...does an all powerful god really need you to defend him? what is your purpose? making yourself happy or making me happy?

just curious....

peas

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by benk84
Even though technically the trinity is 3 gods, it is actually the same god, the father is god in heaven, the son is Jesus or god in physical form, and the holy ghost is the spirit that enters your soul when you accept Jesus Christ as your personal lord and savior hope this helps clear up any confusion!

Hi Ben/

Actually, technically it is not 3 Gods, but One God, in 3 persons.

Hope this helps.....
The Father....God
The Son....The LOGOS or the WORD.
The Spirit...having a little of God within us all..our Soul.

The Father is no different than the Son and the Holy Spirit. The Son is no different than the Father and the Son...
“God became man that man might become god.” (Cf. Psalm 82:6: & St. John 10:34).

“And God appeared to him by the oak of Mamre,
as Abraham sat at the door of his tent in the heat of the day.
He lifted up his eyes and looked,
and beholds three men stood before him.
When he saw them,
he ran from the door of the tent to meet them.
He bowed himself down to the earth and said,
‘Lord (sing.), if I have found favor in Thy (sing.) sight, do not pass by Thy (sing.) servant”
(Genesis 18:1-3)
The above is a PRE-Figuration of Jesus Christ the LOGOS...
as are many moe such passages in the Old Testament...

Some Holy Scripture references on the Most Holy Trinity” Whom Abraham addressed in the Old Testament among the three angels symbolize the Trinity, and that is whom Abraham was talking to was God the Son, the God of the Old Testament. Read Genesis 1:27. Read first Psalm 32:6 and then read Job 33:4. Daniel 3:8-30. As God as the consuming fire read Deut. 4:24; Heb. 12:29. We see our God as ‘Holy’ read: Isa. 6:1-3. Christ as the Son of Man read Daniel 7: 13, 14. also read St. Matthew 25:31. “Take not the Holy Spirit from me.” Read Ps. 51:3. Read also Numbers 11:16-17 as the Hebrew elders where calling upon the grace of the Holy Spirit to come upon them all. “Word became flesh” (John 1:14). Doctrines of the Holy Trinity: “Word became flesh” (John 1:11). In addition....see for MORE PASSAGES IN THE BIBLE~

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by theonlyrusty

It takes time but I'll debunk that whole website if I really need to.

To start out - the home page

It always amazes me how many times this God orders the killing of innocent people even after the Ten Commandments said “Thou shall not kill”. For example, God kills 70,000 innocent people because David ordered a census of the people (1 Chronicles 21). God also orders the destruction of 60 cities so that the Israelites can live there. He orders the killing of all the men, women, and children of each city, and the looting of all of value (Deuteronomy 3). He orders another attack and the killing of “all the living creatures of the city: men and women, young, and old, as well as oxen sheep, and asses” (Joshua 6). In Judges 21, He orders the murder of all the people of Jabesh-gilead, except for the virgin girls who were taken to be forcibly raped and married. When they wanted more virgins, God told them to hide alongside the road and when they saw a girl they liked, kidnap her and forcibly rape her and make her your wife! Just about every other page in the Old Testament has God killing somebody! In 2 Kings 10:18-27, God orders the murder of all the worshipers of a different god in their very own church! In total God kills 371,186 people directly and orders another 1,862,265 people murdered.

1Chronicles 21 verse 1 reads...
[1] And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

Wait, wait, wait....WHO COMPELLED DAVID TO DO THIS? Okay then.
In verse 12 we see God giving David three options to account for his SIN. And in verse 13 we see David's decision.

[13] And David said unto Gad(his servant), I am in a great strait: let me fall now into the hand of the Lord; for very great [3] are his mercies: but let me not fall into the hand of man.

We've heard all along, THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH. In the verses that follow, we see David cry out for mercy and we see the Lord command His angel to stay his hand over Jerusalem.

Deuteronomy 3...

Go back and read Deuteronomy 2. In Deut chapter 2 we see God’s concern in protecting national rights (verses 2-19), God’s insistence on obedience (verses 2-37), God’s care for his people (verse 7) and God’s blessing and protection (verses 7, 25, 33). All of this carries over into Deut chapter 3. Maybe you want to research Og and the Amorites a little bit. Or maybe you just didn't catch the Deut 3:11 which describes Og as the last remnant of giants.

Joshua6...
Jericho was to be a solemn and awful sacrifice to the justice of God, upon those who had filled up the measure of their sins. So He appoints, from whom, as creatures, they received their lives, and to whom, as sinners, they had forfeited them. Rahab perished not with them that believed not, (Hebrews 11:31). All her kindred were saved with her; thus faith in Christ brings salvation to the house, Acts 14:31.

I have to go for now...I'll be back for the rest in a short time.

Respectfully,
A2D

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I hope to God this has been explained somewhere in this 38 pages...

The Trinity is the Father, the Son, and the Holy spirit. These are forms (or manifestations if you will) of the same deity. One... Uno......1....

Monotheistic.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by agoodshot

you can't explain the doctrine correctly, it's nonsensical in nature

1=1
3=1
1=3

that doesn't make sense!
especially since characters 2 and 3 only appeared about 2/3rds of the way into the story..

1 = Volume of a Cube
Volume = (1)base*(2)width*(3)*height

V=abc
abc=V

Three measurements equal one solution.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I don't mean to turn this into a trinitarian vs. unitarian thread but the "trinity" is only a theory due to some misconceptions of who the Father and Jesus are... and to who or what GOD is. God (hebrew "Elohim") in the OT is a plural word used in a singular manner.... or "uni-plural" quite similar to the term "The United States of America" which obviously is a country... a country comprised of 50 secular states, but when spoken this way, is a single nation.

So, if God is a singular word used in plural form, that must be enough to prove the trinity, right? Not quite. We find God speaking in Genesis 1:26 saying, "Let US create man in OUR image."

The conclusion here is that the word "GOD" in the OT when associated with "Elohim" represents more than one being.... a "Family of God" if you will. It makes sense when you put the peices together.

1. Father
2. Son
3. sons and daughters

The first... Father represents the one Christ came to reveal in the NT... unknown to the Jews in the OT.

The second... Son, is obviously Jesus Christ.... known as Jehovah, YHWH, Yahewe in the OT.

The third... sons and daughters represents those who die, resurrect within the 2 resurrections and become sons and daughters of the "God Family".... a marriage. This is actually two parts to the equation.

-Sons and daughters through marriage of the Lamb..... represents the "First Resurrection" (1 Thessalonians 4:15-18) at the coming of Christ back to earth. This resurrection includes those who are "raptured" AFTER tribulation. They were faithful followers of Christ and the Father.

-Sons and daughters through adoption... This represents those who are resurrected in the 2nd resurrection, 1000 years after the return of Christ on earth (rev. 20-21, 1 Corinthians 15). This is also known as the "Great White Throne Judgement" which is not an automatic sentence to hell like most think. It's a learning process and a genuine chance for people to repent of their sins and accept Christ as Saviour and accept the Father as Creator/Architect. Those who accept are received into the family of God. Those who refuse to be ruled by God are banished into the lake of fire where they burn up and die their second death (rev. 20, 21:8).

So where is the Holy Spirit in all of this? The Holy Spirit is not a God or a third part of one God. It is God's power. It's what God gives us to help us keep on the right track. It's not a specific manifistation of God.... it is GOD. God is already spirit.... why does He need a spiritual manifistation to represent Himself? It is true Jesus is the "Word" of God... the "Spokesperson of the Family of God." Throughout the entire bible, the "God" active in people's lives was Jesus Christ the entire time. He is the physical representation of the Family of God since the Father is an unseen force.

I'm sorry to the OP for going off-course and I don't mean to offend anyone who disagrees. I just wanted to lay out my point of view on this subject in the event someone who may have misunderstood the biblical account with the trinity doctrine needed guidance. All the trinity does (in my opinion) is create further contradiction for athiest groups and websites to use against christians. God bless you all.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by theonlyrusty

locoman...does an all powerful god really need you to defend him? what is your purpose? making yourself happy or making me happy?

just curious....

I don't need my God defended for His sake. I need to defend Him for the sake of other christians who may be second-guessing due to people like you. My purpose is to debunk the so-called "contradictions" of the Holy bible. As far as making anyone happy.... it saddens me that some choose the path of ridicule and discontent for others beliefs. You have the freedom to believe what you want and I have nothing against your disbelief in God... my brother is an athiest and one of the most respectful people on the planet when it comes to religion. All I ever see in today's world is extreme athiests and alternate religious groups trying to smear christianity and judaism in the ground while many nut-job christian groups tend to contradict their own "said" beliefs. As a God-fearing christian I am a peaceful person who is tolerant of your beliefs as long as those beliefs harm no one (human sacrifices, high crimes, etc). Peace.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

The LORD grieved for creating man because man, through free will, decided to be evil over good. This is not a contradicition of the initial satement that God thought everything was good upon completion of creation. This is a weak "contradiciton" argument.

Let me get this straight. The all knowing, all powerful god created man as he was and was happy. Then man used the gift God gave him to do something that God was not happy with. How does that not contradict God being Omniscient? He knew Adam would let him down because he knows everything, yet he gave Adam just what he needed to pull it off- free will and the tree. Then he still managed to somehow not see that the thing he was so happy about was going to let him down?

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39 >>

join