It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much of a threat is China?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I have known about Chinese hackers for a while,but this suggest they are hacking into goverment computers hundreds of times a day.

This video also brings up a great point on blackberrys.They can surely be hacked to,I wonder how many dummies messaged someone important or confidential informtaion on one.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Also surely if your up on current events you know China and Russia just delayed further sanctions on Iran for 2 motnhs.China is still doing large oil busines deals with Iran despite sanctions and the U.S request that they stop.China warned us not to meddle in their affairs.

China has upgraded its airforce and navy extensively and has recently tested a anti sattelite missile,with great success.China/Russia/Iran have held war games together.

Also let us not take Chinas seemingly passiveness for weakness.Read the art of war and you will understand this is exactly how they operate.Never let the enemy know your true strength or intentions.Not to mention all the times the Chinese have been caught stealing very sensative information through scientist,soldiers,the list gos on and on.From silent submarine engines to missile technology,to top secret nuclear information.And all this withen recent times,like 8 years.

So is China a real threat?Why are they trying to hack into our computers so damm often?I mean if one time they are successful are they going to actually start war with us?Should the U.S. seriously address this?So far it seems they have not.

I use to think we should worry more about Russia when we invade Iran,this certainly will make me reconsider.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
the u.s. will cut into china's economy with the nafta superhighway
then they will eventually be attacked

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
China DEPENDS on America for its economic survival. They will do nothing of any real consequence.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by uberarcanist

Then why are they doing hundreds of hacks into goverment computers a day.Why are they doing all the stuff I mentioned in my above post

If a war did happen and China won,why do you think we wouldn't be buying Chinese products?After a huge war like that who knows what would happen,China would obviously put someone very favorbale to China in office.Also without the U.S. thats one major major competitor out of the way.

Also we would have to find all new suppliers for all of those products right after a huge war.....right.Why have they been selling us sabataged computer equipment?For fun?

[edit on 29-9-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Project_Silo

China can't afford to cripple America's economy. Their hacking hasn't had any major consequences.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo

Then why are they doing hundreds of hacks into goverment computers a day.Why are they doing all the stuff I mentioned in my above post

If a war did happen and China won,why do you think we wouldn't be buying Chinese products?After a huge war like that who knows what would happen,China would obviously put someone very favorbale to China in office.Also without the U.S. thats one major major competitor out of the way.

Also we would have to find all new suppliers for all of those products right after a huge war.....right.Why have they been selling us sabataged computer equipment?For fun?

And you odn;t think the US is hacking into others countries computers all the time ? Everyone does it.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mad scientist

Exactly. And hacking is so widespread, that anyone who has half a brain has taken the appropriate defense. Hacking isn't half as damaging as it was twenty years ago.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Not yet.Listen they would not be doing it just for fun.The one liners you reply have got to stop.I'm all for open discussion but come on now.

China outsources all over the world not just here.And if they wond a major war then obviously they would have all the political input they want.Therefor you would still be buying Chinese products.So I don't see their business dropping much at all except the initial impact of war.,Such as Americans not going shopping everyday and all good stuff.

Why are they doing all the stuff I posted above?And don't say polotics,tell me one good thing that has come for them since they have been doing all of this,except of course all the very valuable stolen information...

I'm so glad your not in goverment.Who cares if China is trying to hack into top secret technology.Who cares if a Chinese general said they would first shut down Americas powergrid before attacking the U.S.?Who cares if China has been stealing so much valuable informtaion,who cares if we now need to spend millions more to modify or change what they have stolen,not to mention come up with counters to our own technology.

Sigh.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo

Not yet.Listen they would not be doing it just for fun.The one liners you reply have got to stop.I'm all for open discussion but come on now.

Nobody said they would. You don't seem to realize that every other country worth a damn is doing the same thing including the US. It is just a new way to try and glean informtaion from a competitor. Just like runing spy flgihts off the coast of a country.

China outsources all over the world not just here.And if they wond a major war then obviously they would have all the political input they want.Therefor you would still be buying Chinese products.So I don't see their business dropping much at all except the initial impact of war.,Such as Americans not going shopping everyday and all good stuff.

What does China outsource all over the world ?
Also you think the Chinese economy would still be happily selling consumables all over th world with a major war with the US ? Think again, Europe would boycot and the US would dominate the sea lanes into and out of CHina. Most of Chinese trade moves by sea.
So yes the Chinese would be screwed.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
What would happen if China could no longer get oil from Iran?

How would that affect their economy compared to trade with the US?

what they have the capability of doing, should give them some leverage in negotiating.

If they could shut down the power grid, if they could sell off a trillion in us debt, if they could destroy our satellites, then shouldn't the US be careful not to piss them off?

A war with China would be extremely devastating for both countries. Could a parallel be drawn as to why you don't nuke another country with nukes?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   
China only claims they can shut-down power grids, doesn't mean they actually can...it's rediculous to think they really can, these grids are not controlled by networks but by hard-lines. They are not on the internet, or even telnet subsystems.

It is a hollow threat through the potential to send false signals through power providers, not power producers themselves...so unless an idiot looks at an email and believes he needs to shut-down the whole West Coast grid system...chances are their attempts would fail.

If they could succeed, why not just do it to prove it? They do other things to prove other things...like how Russia flies stealth bombers into US air space to prove they can bomb the US, etc. etc. (Last success was April 2006).

Also, holding debt and being a massive producer of crap doesn't make you powerful.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Here are some related articles I used in another post if you haven't already seen them, the top two are the best:

GCN.com
Time.com
Time.com
PCWorld
Washington Post
ZDNet
SearchSecurity.com

The problem is American companies are making huge profits in China and they also buy a lot of US debt, this has tied the hands of the US government. I don't see why we can't just set up a countries like India, Malaysia, The Phillipines or Indonesia to take over the manufacturing of cheap goods. Ofcourse, we might have to pay 50cents extra for hair dryers and clothes.

In my opinion China's not a massive threat yet, but if left unchecked for another 20 years this may change. This is especially true if they continue to be able to steal top secret technology from the US so easily, and are allowed to increase their economic dominance.

It reminds me of how the Japanese had developed in to a military threat by WW2. When the Americans first met the Japanese they were running around on horses equipped with swords, the Americans had huge battleships and troops equipped with rifles and cannons. As a result they were able to force the Japanese into signing the Treaty of Kanagawa. The Japanese then vowed to study and imitate western technology, it wasn't until WW2 that the west realised how powerful the Japanese had become.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Cthulwho

Thanks for the links,you also brought up a good point.

To use Japan for an example again.Japanese products had a bad rep for while because the qaulity,then the qaulity picked up along wiht prices.I think Chinese products are at this point of change,I expect more and more qaulity out of China in the near future.

I do think it would be a while like you said before we really need to put China in check.I just worry if any few countries will work a deal and get us in some way when we go to war with Iran and are even more busy.Who knows what kind of tricky sneaky things China could work with Russia and Iran and the list gos on and on.

That would be a drastic step i realize but it's always possible,Russia is a different story.From a fact stand point not a brainwashed be afraid of Russia stand point.All the deals with every country that hates us,all the war games,relaxing of when the use of force can be used,threatening to nuke Europe the list gos on and on.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Cthulwho

Thanks for taking your time to do research rather than use the old, US is better than a third world country rhetoric.

Actually if anybody here cares enough about the state of affairs of US when it comes to America I will give you a link for you to do your homework and enlighten your perspective.

I have been keeping an eye on China and if you search my topics and thread you will find plenty of information of how china is taking away US superpower status.

After you read then you will be able to talk about how much our Nations economy had fallen in the hands of our china friends thanks to greedy corporate America.

THE AMERICAN ECONOMY:
THE SELL-OFF CONTINUES

China - Our Banker, Now With Leverage To Change U.S. Govt. Policies

Cramer vs. Cramer - Greed Gone Wild (video)

The U.S. is on sale

China may lead US economy to collapse dumping US dollar

www.economyincrisis.org...

top topics

join