DIY Laser defense Weapon for Sit-X

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
OK, the NWO has taken the guns out of your house while you were at a peaceful demonstration, and you come home to find a note on your door telling you to report to the PD within three days. Time to head for the hills.

But what about personal protection? It's the big "crack down" and a few hundred thousand other disidents are heading out too, and civilization is breaking down fast. How will you protect yourself till you reach your hidden stores and your cache of arms?

Time to break out the flashlight laser.

lifehacker.com/software/diy/turn-a-flashlight-into-a-handheld-burning-laser-285272.php

Is this the civilian answer to the taser?

[edit on 29-9-2007 by NGC2736]

PS-Now that is strange, the site claims it no longer has that page on file, even though I followed that from another site not more than an hour ago, and I found it.

I'll do some checking and find a way to see if I can get it up. Maybe someone else can find it faster.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Would this be the link you had in mind?

flashlight laser

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

Yes it is where I was at. *Hangs head in shame* I just couldn't get a single link to work.

Thanks for the bail out there. I thought that was an interesting little gizmo, and wanted to share it.

Remedial computer training for me now.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
awesome.....Im going to try and chase up the parts needed for one and see how I go.

Question is, how long would the batteries last?

How much power does the upgraded laser torch use?

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

I'm betting, from looking at your avatar, that you'll have the answers to those question very soon.

I would think that the batteries ought to be good for at least a fair amount of use, I don't think it's as much a question of power, as how long the parts would last before a burnout.

Still, that's a useful gadget.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I saw that on istructiables a long time ago and wanted to do it just for giggles. I just couldn't bring myself to wreck a perfectly good DVD burner. Those things still aren't cheap.

While looking for the power requirements of the laser in a dvd burner I came across another site that does the same type of thing.

DVD burner laser

apc

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Ooooooooooh. I've been looking for an excuse to buy a new DVD burner.

I am so building this. Thanks for posting!

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

I like the detailed instructions in this one, which should help. Once I know (IN my head) how this all goes together, then I'll try the flashlight style out. Having a laser that a person could, under dire circumstances, use as a weapon, and having it disguised as a common flashlight just appeals to my survival instints.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Be sure and post the results on how it goes. I'm sure there are a lot of people that would be interested in the first hand reports on such a sweet little critter.

And this is a first rate survival tool. A waterproof firestarter that can be used in a bad situation as a survival tool to blind the eemy, and a long range signaling device that wouldn't be too obvious.

Love the idea.

apc

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I'm particularly curious to see if it is capable of burning through a tire sidewall without overheating. Or significantly weaken one at least.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Speaking of tires, led me to think of cars, and that lead to batteries. Now a 70 amp alternator could power up some real charge.

A regular Buck Rogers ( via McGuiver ) style weapon for the 21st century.

apc

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Check these kits out for that line of thinking.

www.amazing1.com...

Although I'm more of a HERF fan when it comes to vehicle mounted energy weapons.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

I had no idea such things were on the market. I saw on one of the larger units where you had to swear you were a legitimate buyer for it. I would think that big brother keeps something of a close watch on such things.

apc, you certainly opened my eyes to a new realm of what is possible to be bought on the open market.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I am so trying this. I have about 5 or 6 mini mags I got in the desert just collecting dust somewhere and my dad has enough computer parts to make Bill Gates wet himself. This gives me a good reason to pay him a visit.

Can't wait to see the results.

By the way NCG2736,

A regular Buck Rogers ( via McGuiver ) style weapon for the 21st century.

Just so you know I'm plagiarizing the gaga out of this line.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Do keep in mind that this laser isn't your regular tool, it is ''extremely'' dangerous.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
While it's a neat tool for starting fires, those lasers can also be used to in combo with a d-i-y cnc router to rapidly produce precision parts ie a sear for a gun trigger or gang mould for casting bullets. As I've often stated, I see the coming years as more a 'dark age' than a retreat to the Stone Age. As part of a survival group, a "techno-smith" will likely be as important for the group as the blacksmith was to communities 100 years ago.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Unless you want to blind yourself I'd stay away from this one as others have said it is extremely dangerous.

Sorry for the short post just thought people should know if they make this work they could blind themselves or others permanantly in an Instant.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal
Unless you want to blind yourself I'd stay away from this one as others have said it is extremely dangerous.

Sorry for the short post just thought people should know if they make this work they could blind themselves or others permanantly in an Instant.

I second that warning

CD/DVD-ROM lasers operate in the IR range of the light spectrum and are even more dangerous for that reason...you can't see the beam, and won't notice any damage to the eyes until it's happened

However, If you're determined to experiment, then this site has a comprehensive technical FAQ guide that's worth reading first

Diode Lasers

The near-invisibility of the beam to the eye and their high-output power could make a very useful stealth/defensive weapon

Several laser-diodes combined in an array in the torch-head and the multiple beams shone through a telescopic rifle-sight for range-focussing could make for an alternative weapon for hunting small varmints and vermin

...a laser survival-rifle, cor blimey, I must have one!

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
crgintx, I agree that the techsmith of the middle 21st century could be invaluable. Great forward thinking there.

And for those who advise caution, I agree. Just as most any tool from a hammer on up can cause damage, this is no exception. But were are posting under survival, so we naturally talk about gear that can cause bodily harm, if used for that purpose..

citizen smith, I like the array idea for a stealth weapon. I would think it would require some power greater than three or four "D" batteries, but it might be a very useful idea.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Just to repeat what is said above

If you sweep a mirror by accident. You May Get Blinded.
Point out the door Neighbor Might Get Blinded.
Cat goes after laser. Cat Might Get Blinded.

Its all fun and games till somebody loses an eye.

Note: Geneva Convention makes any weapon that is used to blind the enemy illegal.

So you could even be an international war criminal! Think about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join