It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firmware Update Breaks Hacked iPhones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Firmware Update Breaks Hacked iPhones

www.pcworld.com

Apple makes good on its threat: the recent firmware update siables unlocked iPhones and wipes unauthorized apps.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Well, they said they would do it and they have. Has anyone here been affected by this? I dont own a IPhone and no one I know owns one. I wouldnt have hacked even if I did own one. One thing I dont understand is why these phone companies always limit phones to one service, wouldnt that be bad for business? Ill be interested to see if there is any reaction to this, maybe another/more hacks? Not much of a discussion topic, but if you have something to say...say it!

www.pcworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29/9/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Pfeil

I'm not personally affected by it, but I have posted quite a number of links and articles pertaining to this whole fiasco Apple has dug itself into in a thread that was moved to BTS. In this particular case, it's not really about Apple locking in the service with AT&T. There's an actual conspiracy behind it but somehow the thread got shipped to BTS.

You can find it here:

Apple Warns Hacking iPhone May Harm It

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Pfeil

this is one reason i will never purchase a product which is just locked to one service as i know in the long run i will be limited with what i will be able to do with it.

and there are plenty of products out there at cheaper prices that do much more then this tool.

dont see why anyone is attracted to this peice of shizer when its internal components are less in specs then others on the market.

the only thing that surpasses anything else is the touch screen interface.

and on a note this is also breaching some EU laws so expect Apple are treated like microsoft and fined and so on.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The Iphone is nothing more than overrated tripe, IMO...Who would want to pay full retail price for a phone, only to have it locked to one network for potentially years...

Sure, if I'm getting the phone for nothing up front on a 24 mth contract, no probs...

But Apple have really missed the boat on this one...To much rigidity with service provider options, a non removable battery like all their other products...

Overrated hype in my book...

Do your research and find the gadget or gadgets that do the job for you best rather than buying a fad...I mean, first gen doesn't even have wi-fi, where the new Ipod touch does ???

Nice move Apple....

P.S - Surely installing the upgrade is optional ? I mean, how could they force push it to a phone unless you were connected to the exclusive carrier ? Where anyone who has cracked it won't be....

Hmmmmmmm

[edit on 29-9-2007 by Rilence]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It seems apple are treating these phones like they still own them! Well they don't so surely this is just as illegal as me walking into your house wiping everything off your computer and the breaking it?

And i thought MS were a bunch of retards

[edit on 29-9-2007 by onthefence81]

Edn

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by onthefence81
It seems apple are treating these phones like they still own them! Well they don't so surely this is just as illegal as me walking into your house wiping everything off your computer and the breaking it?

And i thought MS were a bunch of retards

[edit on 29-9-2007 by onthefence81]
Well that depends on what there contract is like, if its anything like the EULA you agree to when buying Microsoft products then no you don't own the iphone you bought, you only lease it at a fixed price. which would mean they can do anything they like with there iphone.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
HHAHHAHA
one of about 30 different reasons why I will never become an iMoron..

They may try and convince you that they're "the good guys" and Gates is the Anti-Christ.. But they want to be just like him....

Just my opinion :-D

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
A: Don't update if possible
B: Hack the update problem solved. ANYTHING can be hacked.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
Well that depends on what there contract is like, if its anything like the EULA you agree to when buying Microsoft products then no you don't own the iphone you bought, you only lease it at a fixed price. which would mean they can do anything they like with there iphone.

You own the phone if you have purchased it. It's in the contract. The whole thing has very little to do with Apple locking in the phone to AT&T and a whole lot more to do with Apple not wanting third-party software developers to create applications for the iPhone.

Both the people who hacked their iPhones and Apple releasing this update which bricks hacked iPhones are within their legal rights. Apple however is playing unfairly.

See this post of mine:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

KATSUO -- Apple is becoming like Microsoft already, more so with this unfair move to block third party developers. A rude awakening for the Apple fan-boys.

top topics

join