It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

... an infinite number of monkeys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I have a theory that I would like to share and I am interested in other peoples opinions.

Working from the premise that there is an infinite number of star systems out there and therefore an infinte number of planets it is hard to see a logical argument that says that this planet is the only one with life.

Is it likely that we are the only planet in this infinite number with the right combination of planetary make up, distance from the sun, primordal 'gloop' that life grew out of (or intelligent designer if that's your thing) and other factors that support life?

With the infinite combinations available for these things across the whole universe, you must get the slot machine effect of the fruit lining up more than at least once. This will result in circumstances that are either the same as here on Earth - therefore I would imagine that they would be very similar to us (at least physically) or slightly different resulting in small differences to adapt to the exact environment.

I think this is a different argument as to whether or not these potential beings are travelling to this planet, have grey skin etc but I consider myself pretty sceptical of most things but I cannot defeat my own argument for life on other planets with logic.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Take it one step further and add some quantum weirdness

Just this week, it has been mathematically "proven", that parallel universes exist.

Now, when every physical decision on every planet inhabitet by life, spawns a new parallel universe, you don't even need to presume, that there are infinite starsystems - the mess outthere would be enough with a finite number.
Taken this thought one step further, with a nearly unlimited number of universes, how probable is it, that in one or more of this universes, dimensional travel has been invented ?

My mind starts throwing up a bit, when i think about that, so i'll better stick with your theory
I think, no one on this board would deny life on other planets, even presuming, that the number of star systems is limited - what remains are the other two questions
Is it intelligent life ?
and
Is intelligent life advanced enough and interested in visiting other planets ?

Unfortunately, these still remain unanswered.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 04:18 AM
link   
It's a perfectly logical assumption to make - that billions of stars equal billions of planets, the likelyhood of only ONE of those supporting intelligent life is statistically improbable to the point of being absurd.

There are so many forms of life on Earth, that successfully exist in the most varied of habitats, it's fair to also assume that life is most adaptable to it's surroundings - So, I personally, wouldn't go say that intelligent inhabitants of other planets have to have evolved from monkeys. They could be similar to other intelligent lifeforms on Earth or completely different to anything we know here on Earth. We only have the experience on our own planet as evidence, so it's difficult to say.

We're not even sure that we evolved or were created either, so everything is pure speculation at this point. I think when we publically meet our first interstellar neighbours, it will fill in some of those blanks, in all kinds of exciting and unexpected ways!

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phil J. Fry
Take it one step further and add some quantum weirdness

Just this week, it has been mathematically "proven", that parallel universes exist.

This does not 'prove' that parallel universes exist at all.

I was always led to believe that scientific claims to 'truth' were supposed to be based on observeable, repeatable and demonstrable experiments.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
first be carefull throwing around the infinite word it changes your equasions.

If infinite planets exist, then not only would there be life, but there would be infinite life. and there would actually be cases exactly atom for atom the same as the earth. And those copies guess how many their would be? There would be an infinite amount. Anytime you multiply or try and divide infinite you still get infinite.

if odds of life is 1 in 1exp1000 you take infinite divide by that number you still have infinite.

Also parallel dimensions are not infinite, they are created when ever two possible arrangements of all mass and energy in the universe exist and diverge from one state. every split makes a new dimension. This number is really big but not infinite.

I can also say with confidence that traveling to other dimensions is very rare in any parallel world. why? because with trillions of trillions of trillions (continue for quite a while with more 0's) parallel dimensions we would be getting some travelers here even if we had not discovered it yet.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redge777
first be carefull throwing around the infinite word it changes your equasions.

If infinite planets exist, then not only would there be life, but there would be infinite life. and there would actually be cases exactly atom for atom the same as the earth. And those copies guess how many their would be? There would be an infinite amount. Anytime you multiply or try and divide infinite you still get infinite.

if odds of life is 1 in 1exp1000 you take infinite divide by that number you still have infinite.

You are quite correct and I thank you, I think we refer to 'infinite stars' mainly because we lack the ability to count them and it sounds better than 'a lot'

I would guess that in reality there is probably a finite number of stars and planets but like perfection, infinity is only something we can 'tend' toward. On the basis of this, I still think that 'a lot' of planets is still likely to throw up the same or subtly different odds again and again

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Very well-known theory.

Drake Equation

Enjoy,
Lex

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I had also thought about this.

Then I thought: In what aspect is the universe infinite?

Is there infinite everything? Or just infinite space-time (without infinite matter)?

Yeah, when thinking about it I say "but there has to be infinite matter, it wouldn't make sense for infinite space-time and finite matter". After all, the univese is expanding from a single miniscule point, I'd expect there to be as much matter in the rest of the "infinite universe" as there is right here.

Anyway, random babble.

new topics

top topics

join