It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEED HELP

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I was gonna post this on the non secret section but i thought people read this site more. I need your help a bit.

Alright. i did a paper on mother teresa for school. The teacher told me that i copy-and-paste most of the stuff on the internet. My arguement is that it is all facts and there is no point of trying to rewrite that fact in a new sentence. The thing is that i didn't quote them.

I really need some good arguements for my case because i'm going to defend my case at school's court. PLEASE HELP!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazz
I really need some good arguements for my case because i'm going to defend my case at school's court. PLEASE HELP!

Are you serious?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
You just admitted that you copied the text and pasted it here.

You should obtain the information, take what is necessary, then summarize it in your own words or what is often called paraphrasing. This is accepted method.

When quoting you must use quotation marks and indicate the source within the text itself or using footnotes and markers.

What you have done is made a paper using all quotes and likely did not give credit to the original authors and sources. This is not legal and is a copyright infringement.

It is easy for your teaher to tell because of the obvious difference in quality of the writing vs past samples by you.

The best you can do is plead ignorance of the rules but I don't know if you are in a position to do that or not?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Rewrite...rewrite...rewrite.......my son.

Am I just a cut & paste job to you? I'm nearly a saint fer' Christ's sake.
Come up with something original that portrays me in a good light, and
maybe I'll put in a good word for ya with the big guy.....

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The thing is that i was stupid thinking that it's all facts and didn't quote them
. I am looking for the best way to minimize my punishment

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   

The best you can do is plead ignorance of the rules but I don't know if you are in a position to do that or not?

I am in a position to do that

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   

What grade are you in? If you are a Frosh or Soph you might plead that, but if you are a Junior or Senior chances are limited.

If you had put all the sources at the end, you won't be here.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

What grade are you in? If you are a Frosh or Soph you might plead that, but if you are a Junior or Senior chances are limited.

If you had put all the sources at the end, you won't be here.

Yeah people like me do stupid stuff sometime. I was actually somwhat ignorance of the rules.

Is admitting the only way out?

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   

The thing is that i was stupid thinking that it's all facts and didn't quote them

Ah, face the music and chalk it up as a learning experience.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican

Ah, face the music and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Thanks that's really helpful. Any comments welcome

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
By all means, look them in the eyes, admit your guilt, plead ignorance lightly, do not argue, and prepare yourself mentally before hand, because you do not have a case. Accept your school courts judgement, and learn a serious life lesson here.

I was just thinking - what if all us older members had all the resources available as our youth do today? Man, it must be overwhelming for them- what if we had access to forums such as ATS... I sure wish I had all this in my youth. Cut and copy....wow

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Well, she DID catch you or does she suspect it? You can lie through your teeth and just deny everything, if she really doesn't know 100%. Or, you can say you did, and instead of arguing with her about it, apologize and just say it won't happen again. The point is, you copied someone else's work. Sure all facts are the same, but it's not a statistic. It is still a word-for-word phrase someone else used, and copying THAT without stating your source IS plagiarism, and it is against the known "rules" of our society.

It is understandable that people who wrote it have an ego they must uphold. If someone states that THEY wrote it, then the oringial author's EGO is damanged and they feel anger that YOU take the credit for their work. They feel angry that THEY are not the ones being given the "money" or the "praise" that they deserve.

So in reality, it is not really the work that matters, it is WHO wrote it. They wrote it to get the CREDIT for it, not simply to inform!

So because our society operates in such a way, and humans have an ego they must uphold, you should profess and say that maybe you weren't thinking or didn't think "facts" really were such a big deal. Apparently they are, so just apologize and say you'll never do it again. That should catch them by surprise, because they are prepared to ATTACK you based on your DEFENSE. They want to break your shield, that is their goal. But when you show them that you HAVE no shield, they will be caught unprepared and will probably show mercy.

Besides, it is a school court, so just say the information did not seem significant enough to source it, but you were wrong. You now know better, and the mistake won't be repeated. Simple as that. If you lie or argue, and eventually lose anyway, your punishment will be worse, because you are no longer someone in violation of some social "rule", you are also now someone who is fighting AGAINST that rule. People don't like it when their rules are challenged, and they will impose a harsher punishment on those who challenge them and defend themselves, than those who openly admit they were "wrong" and promise to never repeat it.

Just a few thoughts...

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam
Well, she DID catch you or does she suspect it? You can lie through your teeth and just deny everything, if she really doesn't know 100%. Or, you can say you did, and instead of arguing with her about it, apologize and just say it won't happen again. The point is, you copied someone else's work. Sure all facts are the same, but it's not a statistic. .....harsher punishment on those who challenge them and defend themselves, than those who openly admit they were "wrong" and promise to never repeat it.

Just a few thoughts...

Thanks that's really a good comment. it's been good so far thanks

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
"i didnt know i couldnt do that"
"i thought you told us to do that"
"i was going to change it i was just getting the facts down on a piece of paper to have it all in one place"
"i think i'm sick"
"did i ever tell you how pretty your eyes are?"
"wait so you said dont copy and paste?"
"oops i turned in the wrong paper. thats my facts sheet my real paper is at my house"

plenty of things to say.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hmmm
"i didnt know i couldnt do that"
"i thought you told us to do that"
"i was going to change it i was just getting the facts down on a piece of paper to have it all in one place"
"i think i'm sick"
"did i ever tell you how pretty your eyes are?"
"wait so you said dont copy and paste?"
"oops i turned in the wrong paper. thats my facts sheet my real paper is at my house"

plenty of things to say.

No thanks i dont think i'll be using those

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
you act like those remarks are below you but you are the dumbass who just stole someone elses works and thinks its alright to do so.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by hmmm
you act like those remarks are below you but you are the dumbass who just stole someone elses works and thinks its alright to do so.

Jazz, notice how EGO is important, like I mentioned in my message? Just now you "rejected" his remarks, and he called you a dumbass because his ego was damaged, he felt upset that his remarks weren't GOOD ENOUGH for you. He did not get CREDIT or REWARD for his remarks as he was hoping.

Just like an author who doesn't get credit, and someone else does, for his work. His ego is also damaged, so the authors of anything (well all humans have this ego problem) decided to create this law prohibiting plagiarizing and copyright crap. See how it works? I love live examples!

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
it wasnt my ego that was hurt. its just he acts like he is above saying something like that but he steals yes steals someone elses work. he is above lying but not stealing. its like someone breaking into your car and then stealing only the cd's they liked out of your collection. the nerve of some people

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Well, it is possible that he might not be able to lie. Maybe if he was only merely suspected he could and maybe would lie. Besides.. I plagiarized ALL the time in highschool (never got caught!) but I never lied.. I'm the worst liar in the world. So I don't try it. So if I was caught, I'm better off just admitting it, as my lies scream "LIAR" all over them anyway...

But I've changed since that time. Highschool was one huge negative experience for me. I'm glad THAT lesson is over... I was like sleeping mentally the whole time, out of touch with reality at all. I'm surprised I was considered a "living human specimen" ... I was almost brain dead

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Tell your bitchy teacher that at least you completed the assignment, and it's not like you were going to publish your paper. Just say you'll quote people correctly in future assignments.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join