It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football Sunday Sloppy Joes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The weather is cooling off and the Packers are mixing it up on Sundays. Doing pretty well to this point, too.

During football season I like to make a big dutch oven full of food on Saturday night to eat during the game on Sunday. Foods that taste better after a night in the fridge; pot roast, chili, short ribs, soup, and sloppy joes. Since I'm making them tomorrow I thought I'd post my sloppy joes recipe.

Quite good if I say so myself, and the batch is big enough to eat all day.

Give this one a try if you're so inclined.

4 lbs. browned and drained ground chuck
1 cup ketchup
3 Tbsp. Molasses
1.5 cups tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
.5 Teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tbsp. Paprika
2 Teaspoons oregano
2 Teaspoons Chicago Steak seasoning.
4 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard
4 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1.5 Large onions diced.
1 Green Pepper diced.
3 Celery Stalks diced.
1 to 3 Jalapenos diced. (Optional, my daughter won't eat it spicy, so sweet it is in our house)
2 to 5 cups beef broth depending how long you want to simmer.
Salt & Pepper to taste

Brown the chuck in a large pot or Dutch Oven, drain and remove. Soften the onions, pepper, and celery in the pot in a little olive oil. Add the beef and other ingredients. Simmer for several hours until you have the desired consistency.

We like it on soft bakery buns so the meat almost soaks in when you eat the sandwiches. If they're chewy, too much meat slides out the sides. I like a slice of cheddar cheese, the wife goes no cheese. This makes quite a bit, but the leftovers go quickly. They are of course good the day they are prepared, but I think they are actually better after a night in the frigde. Makes for some nice flavor melding. Don't be surprised if the family can't wait, because they smell awfully good.

Eat with Ruffles or that type of chip. Scoop up what does fall out of the sandwich with chips.

That's a man's dip.

[edit on 28-9-2007 by Musky]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
YUM! Another good football foot is pigs in a blanket...have them ready as snacks before the sloppy joes are ready and you're guests will love you!

join