It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Machines are Real!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I dont think anyone has posted this yet but it came out this morning on cnn.com.

Video from CNN:

cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com...

if anyone has more info then add on.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
add on...?

Ok, let me add on some links to other 'time machine' threads, here on ATS.

The First Time Machine

Time travel problem

time travels impossible

ATS search on 'time machine'

let me also add on this friendly advice which appears directly
above the text box you typed your post in.

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites;
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item as a means
to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

So.........what are Your thoughts, Pimpb1420 ?

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
In my opinion, there won't be any time machines in future,now and forever.

If time machines are invented by our descendants,why do they not come to see us at present day? Have you ever seen a strange fellow who calls you great grandfather and claim that he comes from a future world ?

These funny scenes only occured in science fictions or cartoons.

: )

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by nanoha

If time machines are invented by our descendants,why do they not come to see us at present day? Have you ever seen a strange fellow who calls you great grandfather and claim that he comes from a future world ?

People travel to the past or future through the mind, someone could be looking through your eyes right now.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Very interesting video. This reminds me of some of the sci-fi stories I've read where you couldn't go back in time any further than when the time machine was first created. Only, this man is saying, you can only go back in time to the period of when the machine was first turned on and only if the machine is kept on the whole time.

He also mentioned a "loop" being formed which would, seemingly, allow you to go from the future to the past. Wonder if you could also go from the past to the future on the loop?

I suppose you could go into the future indefinitely providing the machine has stayed "on" into the future.

I wish someone would make this happen...fund it, or whatever. So interesting.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
actually his time machine will only send particles back in time. to send a person using his design would take more energy than we currently have, however particles mean information and this information may or may not be relevant to our universe. there is a possibility he turns on the machine and we find events in time are cast into stone, but it is my personal feeling he will prove we live in a multi-verse.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Pimpb1420

That is a very interesting video.I don't know if time machines do exist or not, but I have always been fascinated by the idea of traveling. I think it is all tied up with parallel worlds. It is quite a concept. But really too big for my brain.

There is a movie, (actually there are a lot of movies about time travel) called "Primer" (which is my favorite) that uses some of or a least similar ideas about how time travel could work. Not a lot of special effects, & made with a very small budget. And plan on watching it more than once, because it takes a couple of times to figure it out, (at least for me anyway).

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Hmm. Get in your car and sit in it. Time is moving forawrds ata rate of 1s/s, drive off in it and time is slightly slower as exerpienced by the driver. Hence timemachines exist all be in a very crude definitive form!

The real problem with travelling back into the future or forward into the past is that there's no real proven theoretical framework thats suitable. If you do it with wormholes you need vast amounts of matter with a negative energy density. Try going towards the speed of light and you get heavier and flatter, and such a speed can't be reached. I think there's a Quantum Tunnelling possibility, but until there's a complete theory of Quantum Gravity, we shall remain unsure!

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Even if you can only send particles into the past it could change the world. imagine if you could send a message back to warn about Sep 11.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
you are the time machine, young grasshopper
your DNA has the encoding of all of your past and future descendants

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
remember when John Titor refrenced CERN's "big machine"......

press.web.cern.ch...

Is this the one????

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Is time something we made to keep track of our lifes? Does time exist outside of our world? Are we a small piece of a bigger clock in our universe? I'm really astonished and amazed with time travel and if it's possible to do with the human body. I think we have to come up with alot of other technologies before that's possible. I guess for now, sending particles in time is a start. It makes me wonder how we can go back and see our Fathers or Mothers after they have already died. Do we exist after death and where do we go? Lots of questions that need answers. But anything is possible if we will it. I'll keep my mind open on time travel.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by KATSUO

remember when John Titor refrenced CERN's "big machine"......

press.web.cern.ch...

Is this the one????

yes, he was referring to the LHC

[edit on 4-10-2007 by syrinx high priest]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Hey I travel forward in time every day, I just have issues with adjusting the speed I move forward in time, a slight flaw, currently I move forward at the rate of 1 sec per sec.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
Is time something we made to keep track of our lifes? Does time exist outside of our world? Are we a small piece of a bigger clock in our universe? I'm really astonished and amazed with time travel and if it's possible to do with the human body. I think we have to come up with alot of other technologies before that's possible. I guess for now, sending particles in time is a start. It makes me wonder how we can go back and see our Fathers or Mothers after they have already died. Do we exist after death and where do we go? Lots of questions that need answers. But anything is possible if we will it. I'll keep my mind open on time travel.

I'd argue the past doesn't exist anymore. Time isn't a place you can go to, it's a moment perceived by chemical reactions in our brains.
In Stephen Kings book, the langoliers, the past just evaporates away as we move forward, that's how I imagine it.
You can create the illusion of travelling to the future by going really fast, with a way to suspend human animation, ala planet of the apes, but I don't see the value in that, since you have no idea what type of future you're getting into, and we are many many years from a propulsion system that can move objects as large as humans that kind of speed.

Another book I read about teleportation examined the effects that might have on the human mind. In the book, a man is instantly teleported 15 feet, but he comes through absolutely crazy, and all he can say is. "it's forever in there"

If you could send a body back in time, who is to say your mind will come through in tact ?

Anyway, fun stuff to think about

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Time travel is impossible, unless you mean traveling to alternate dimensions which is another topic entirely imo. There are too many paradoxes involved. One which I read the other day in fact, was something along the lines of...

"You go back in time to kill your grandfather. If you that, your father is never born meaning you are never born, so you couldn't do it in the first place."

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by nanoha

Sorry to bust your skeptical bubble, but it seems you haven't read much on how the whole jingbang works. You see, if you go back in time, you're entering another continuum, another time string where your present grandfather is non existent. You'll meet your grandfather all right but he's not the same guy who is on your present time string.

So if he's not the same, how could you meet him and then come back to tell the story?? Because you will never ever be able to come zipping back on the same string ever again!! You'll land up in another continuum with a slightly different history! And there could be endless time strings, endless scenarios, endless histories.

So don't try this at home! I mean if you take off in a time machine, you'll never ever get back on the same string however hard you try. You'll land up in a different set of circumstances and another scenario though the time line may be the same.

Confusing? That's the idea! Don't lose heart. I'm as confused as you are!!

Heading for the beer bar to cool my fried brain!

Cheers!

[edit on 5-10-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh

Sorry to bust your skeptical bubble, but it seems you haven't read much on how the whole jingbang works.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by mikesingh]

sooooo how do you know how it works ?

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say there is a theory about the jingbang ?

(format edit)

[edit on 5-10-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
what the ...... i saw nothing that say's time machines are real. only a theory. come on, get it together.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I posted this elsewhere which is where the quote is from, but I think it fits this topic, and I liked the thought.

Originally posted by OnTheDeck
When a question of time travel was asked, he responded in a brief post that he knows he will never have access to time travel, because he made a vow to himself in the early nineties that if he were ever to show up that, that particular time would have been it. He said he waited, but no one came. This was a very honest revelation.

I can only call this brilliant, truly simple yet logically fool proof. With one exception, if he goes back into time to that day he actually slides into a parallel dimension, a different time stream. Because in the original time stream that led him on the path to be able to time travel he never met himself.

His conclusion only works for the no changing of the past, single time line model.

The multiverse parallel time streams concept will still allow him to travel back, but he will also side slip into a different alternate past/future caused by his effect on meeting himself.

I feel sorry for the 'him' in the new time line, for he will never get to type the comment quoted above, and the me in the alternate time stream will never get to enjoy the thought the quote provoked.

Hey hows this for a story.

Guy spends years working on time travel, janitor comes up while he is celebrating being sure he almost has it done, only 1 more year max( this has been said many years over and over) The janitor explains then gets the professor to say the quote above.

The professor after facing years of total depression one day goes back to work on the machine, just to try and recapture meaning. He finds in sorrow he can find solace in the work even if he will never be able to travel himself.

He finishes it! goes back meets himself and the janitor. Surprised the time traveling professor says, "How can this be?"

The janitor laughs and explains it, time slip. Shaking his head, he continues to sweep walking away.

The professors jumps back into the time machine. His counter part ask "Hey where are you going?"

He replies with excitement and the tone of a man with a task "I am going ten minutes into the past of coarse, I got to tell another one of the other me's. I got to explain it to him. Tell him not to be so down, and explain it is possible!"

Roll credits and funky OuterLimits music.

[edit on 6-10-2007 by Redge777]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join