It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Coup' claimed in Rangoon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

'Coup' claimed in Rangoon

www.newsdeskspecial.co.uk

Military sources in Rangoon are claiming that the regime's number two, General Maung Aye (right), has staged a coup against Than Shwe, and that his troops are now guarding Aung San Suu Kyi's home.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Live Riot blog from Burma with Pictures
Myanmar forces open fire on protesters Update 13 dead :Troops occupy Buddhist monasteries, Internet
Burma & Shan State Watch List
Japanese journalist gunned down by Burmese Troops!

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I am starting this for news articles on this alledged coup attempt in Myanmar. It is breaking at this moment, does this mean a possible civil war now that the two leaders are poised against each other?

www.newsdeskspecial.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
What a cunning trick if its true eh?

The number 2 deposes the number 1, lets the democratically elected leader out then asks 'Can I be chief of the army please' ??

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Hopefully the chaos settles down . If they kill the lead monks....Could be war? Thanks for all your reporting.
DWT

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Internet and media clamp down is slowing the news from the region:

Burma Cracks Down on Journalists, Internet

...The government disconnected the Internet at 11 a.m. today, adding to the country's isolation. The leading ISP, an offshoot of the ministry of technologies, tried to blame it on a technical problem with an underwater cable. Reuters said no one was answering the phone at the ISP's headquarters. Everyone questioned by Reporters Without Borders and the BMA described the official excuse as "ridiculous." ....

This possibly explains the difficulties with getting reports from the area.

This report of the attempted coup is still unconfirmed I suspect this blackout has something to do with it.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I think some kind of announcement will come tomorrow, isn't that UN envoy (forget his name) suppose to be in Rangoon then?

Rangoon, Late Afternoon—

Unconfirmed reports say there are unusual troop movements underway in Rangoon, amid reports that Snr-Gen Than Shwe, the junta’s chief, and Vice Snr-Gen Maung Aye, his second in command and the commander in chief of the army, have disagreed over the response to the recent demonstrations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's been going on for awhile, the power strugle between Maung Aye and Than Shwe, at least for a week or more. Last weekend and Air Bagan plane was seen parked in Vientane Airport. That spurred the speculations of an exile being preparred for the Shwe family, allegedly already there. Earliy in the uprising we heard the general was in Singapore.

Maybe that's just a little too expensive in the city state, so they have to settle with Laos.

But would he go volentarily, if he knew not enough support down along the lines was there for him.? I think so. He's said to be over superstisious, so he's afraid to die.

Have to skip 1 billion USD annually for the next 400 year... ... presumed he could live that long. Just found this:
Data and documentation on The Shwe Gas Project. Shwe means 'gold'.

At present, Burma has 34 gas pipelines covering a total length of nearly 1,800 kilometres, according to official data. Burma, with 19 onshore oil fields, has a total of 87 TCF (Trillion Cubic Feet), or 2.46 TCM (Trillion Cubic Meter) of gas in reserves and 3.2 billion barrels of recoverable crude oil reserves.

Official figures show that in the fiscal year 2004-05, which ended in March, Burma produced 7.48 million barrels of crude oil and 10.69 billion cubic meters of gas. Gas exports during the year went up to 9.5 BCM, earning over 1 billion US dollars.

..my emphasis..

There are more to explore on www.shwe.org...

Gettin' late........ but 2.460.000.000.000 Cubic Meter in gas reserves alone... a lot of people are willing to risk their lives for that.

Hmm...

I hope I wake up to images of soldiers with flowers in their gun barrels.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Of the top two in charge of the "junta", isn't Maung Aye the more hard arse of the two? So if he topples Than Shwe, seems to me that things'd get even worse for the protesters...

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   

"Maung Aye and his loyalists are opposed to shooting into the crowd," a source close to the military hierarchy told Mizzima referring to the major differences that the head of junta Senior General Than Shwe and his second-in-command, Vice-Senior General Maung Aye have over the brutal crack down on protesters in Burma.

--------------------------from link above-----------------------

Whether that means he recommends the beating, I won't know. Maung Aye is the younger and less hardliner of the two.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This is the only update I could find on the coup attempt:

Claims of military unrest and possible coup in Burma unconfirmed

As yet unconfirmed reports from military sources in Burma say that there is significant unrest in the army, with reports of mutinying in some areas and claims that a coup is taking place. Meanwhile the death toll of protesters has been growing significantly.

It is unclear how many are involved in the revolts. Reports cite heavy shooting in the former Burmese capital. The organisation Helfen ohne Grenzen (Help without Frontiers) is reporting that "Soldiers from the 66th LID (Light Infantry Divison) have turned their weapons against other government troops and possibly police in North Okkalappa township in Rangoon and are defending the protesters."

Last evening monitoring the Live Riot blog from Burma with Pictures thread,

Some of the posters were doubtful and others were saying to beware of another trick by the Junta regime.

The governments clamp down on communications, journalists, and internet have slowed but not muted the protesters.

If you haven't checked out the blog thread, please do it is full of info on the struggle in Burma and has links to chatboxes where you can see first hand what these brave people are going through.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Still no confirmation of any coup, though in this article, the UN envoy had a visit with imprisoned democratic leader Aung San Suu Kyi, in the article they discussed a possible rift between the two junta leaders Shwe & Aye:

UN envoy resurrects Suu Kyi

...General Than Shwe is known to hate Ms Suu Kyi and refuses to allow her name to be mentioned in his presence.

But General Maung Aye, 69, his second-in-command, is said to be urging a tactical compromise.

Ms Suu Kyi has been kept out of public view since 2003, when the junta abandoned its dialogue and purged the head of military intelligence, who had organised talks with her...

The thoughts of many is that this is a trick being played by the Junta, and honestly how much better would it be if one of the leaders of the Junta took over.

new topics

top topics

join