It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most interesting U.S. historical mystery/conspiracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Of all the U.S. historic mysteries/conspiracy theories out there, which ones do you give the most credence to? My answer would probably be the expected, that members of the government were involved in JFK's assassination. Although I don't think that's the only worthwhile conspiracy regarding assassinations, much less all of U.S. history. I've been fascinated in these subjects since high school and try to read about them when I can, but sometimes I have to admit that the literature can be overwhelming. Was definitely wondering what experts on the board on this topic find as the most compelling U.S. history-related conspiracy theories.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Easy.

Based on all the threads I have read, there are 2.

1) 9/11 was an inside job (I completely disagree on this).

2) George Bush stole the elections (twice) (I disagree again).

If it were up to me, I would love to see the Vince Forster assassination thing reviewed more, not just here but in real life.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Really? I'm not going to dismiss some element of conspiracy in both of those, but I tend to think that conspiracies from further back in history are much more likely. The press and public awareness were totally different animals, and I have to believe it was much easier to hide things. I tend to think between all the conspiracy theories about Washington, Lincoln, Kennedy etc., there are probably some that are right on the nose. But we may never know.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
UFO coverup definately number one. What could possibly be more interesting than that?

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
For an outside view, it would have to be the moon landings, operation paperclip and what did US Intelligence know of Pearl Harbour before the event.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I actually had to google Operation Paperclip, didn't know it by name. Definitely a subject I should read more about.

While googling around about the Lincoln Assasination, I found an interesting blog about presidential conspiracies.

www.thepresidentsbook.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The most interesting one which I am familiar with personally (besides JFK) is operation Sunrise.

In 1943 the SS sent a prominent Hungarian Jew to Syria to negotiate with the British for the release of Hungarian Jews from concentration camps in return for shipment of 1000 trucks which the Nazis promised would only be used against the Soviets. The British refused the approach.

The Americans however sniffed the mood of the SS and began clandestine peace feelers with Himmler.

In October 1944 (according to Farm Hall transcript summaries of conversation between General Walther Dornberger and another general) Werner von Braun and Dornberger, then under control of SS Lt Gen Dr Hans Kammler, went to Lisbon and negotiated the surrender of Nazi Germany's Rocket and Nuclear scientists to two men from "General Electric."

On 27 April 1945 the British BBC embarrassed Himmler by broadcasting his efforts to negotiate a separate truce with the West. Hitler immediately ordered Himmler's arrest.

On the same date Kammler suddenly disappeared from Prague and the same day a Junkers Ju-290 flew from Prague to Barcelona.

The ALSOS scientific reconnaissance mission into Nazi Germany suddenly turned south from it's drive on Berlin and abandoned Berlin to the Soviets. After driving to Leipzig where the Nazi a-bomb laboratory was housed they drove on the Mittenwald where they knew in advance the Nazi scientists had been congregated. Under Operation Overcast many of these scientists and engineers were put to work for the US war effort against Japan.

I feel USA's dealings with the Nazis in 1944 and 1945 are an enduring mystery. It is hard to judge what is right or wrong about this period with only partial cracks. It may have been the right thing to negotiate with the SS, but the facts need to be out there so that everyone can understand the context.

Post Script:

Bugsinthesandbox... Operation Paperclip grew out of Operation Overcast mentioned above.

[edit on 28-9-2007 by sy.gunson]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BugsintheSandbox

Linked to operation paperclip, I will certainly google unit 731. Just how much did the US and its Allies benefit from the people and ideas that came in via operation paperclip.

Not sure if the OP is meaning on the US mainland but I would add The Rendlesham Forest/RAF Bentwaters-Woodbridge UFO Incidents. Why? Because of the testimony of a senior US airforce officer and the event did happen in the UK but close to a US airforce base

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Another thing which irritates me is that Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were scape goats. If you read Major Jordan's Diaries, Roosevelt was helping Stalin acquire nuclear technology from 1943 onwards. USA was shipping Canadian uranium to Russia first via Vladivostok and later through Persia.

Indeed I suspect Churchill knew and tipped off the Germans to encourage the Nazis to sink these secret uranium convoys in the Arabian sea. Check out the voyages of U-859 and U-852.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
How about this one right here:

Silent Weopons For Quiet Wars

www.lawfulpath.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is it real or a hoax? It certainly feels real.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   

My favorite is the cover up of the Challenger as a spy plane.
Structural bracing was cut out to provide for the added weight of the Hubble lens train.
It was the most effective weapon in our arsenal and was covered up even after flight 007 was shot down from under it. Too bad it flexed and placed a shear load on that frozen O-ring. Really a good cover up. It was expensive to me because I chewed the rear end right off of the Quality Manager that should have halted the launch. No spine, no blame, no problem. He still kept his gravy job and has a nice retirement at home. What a country.
Oh, Lodge placed the contract of JFK.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
basically any assination...jfk lincoln mckinney all are not as they appear.

other than that...

where did all the confederate gold go? banks in europe?

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Maybe my pet mystery isn't as grand as some here, but it's one that has nagged me for a long time.

Anyone else know of the disappearence of Ambrose Gwinett "Bitter" Bierce? He was, in his time, very well known. And after almost a century, there is no real clue as to where or how he died.

At the time, Mexico was in revolution, and this would have been as sensational as having some major newscaster of today disappear in Pakistan.

I can recall as a boy hearing older people speak of this well into the fifties.

PS. His last known letter has a line I always found so mysterious. "To be a Gringo in Mexico - ah, that is euthanasia."

[edit on 30-9-2007 by NGC2736]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
While all of these are interesting and certainly important, I'm ashamed to say the one I like most is rather less....spectacular. Though it is one hell of a mystery.

The Georgia Guidestones

Just read the background to them. Even better, if you can, listen to the Out There Radio podcast done on them (podcast number 8, I think). Very intriguing, I find.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
My current favorite is the Denver International Airport, I just love reading about DIA.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

The most recent and compelling mystery is that of the CIA's "Kalpa Vigraha" experiments conducted by the CIA's "watering teams" on unsuspecting US citizens in the 1960s. It was exposed by two retired CIA agents to one Kate Houghton, and it is certainly a very spooky story. I have cross-checked many of the names and events inthe story, googling and otherwise, and I firmly believe most of it is true.
It is also the timing of the revelation (Jan 2009) that caught my attention. Just as the US presidency is passing on to a black man. It is a well-known fact within the CIA that the "Kalpa Vigraha" experimented were conducted on unsuspecting "Negro"(the nomenclature of the 1960s) women. In the coming days much more is expected to emerge, and this is definitely going to lead to a public outcry at least in the US.

new topics

top topics

join