It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Age Rising To 18

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Hello every one, i was wondering if any one had any thoughts of the smoking age rising to 18 on October the 1st i belive. I dont smoke so it effects me in no way shape or form, but what do you smokers in the UK think ? Any after shocks we are going to experience or any after-any things at all ?

ProTo

[edit on 28-9-2007 by ProTo Fire Fox]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The raising of the age to 18, will not stop them under 18, from getting cigarettes. They will just go around asking people to buy the cigarettes for them. Plus most of the teenagers nowadays look older for their age. Unless they have to show some identification before buying cigarettes. Then I cant see this working at all... Just my thoughs on this

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Typical ill concieved idea

Once again another unworkable idea from the boffins.
Just like drug users the under 18's age group will draw on their elder friends to buy cigg's on their behalf.
Every government masterplan is fundimentally flawed and has shades of a nanny state dictatorship.
Our forefathers fought to keep our freedom from Nazi fascist ideology in the last century only for it to surface later in our democratically elected government.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by anglosaxon

Exactly look at the laws being brought in with regards to alcohol, with raising of the age to 21. Do the autorities think, this will stop teenagers from getting Drink? No it will not. Teenagers nowadays find ways round in getting what they want. (Even if it means gettin someone to buy booze for them or cigarettes).

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
It will likely be as effective as the firearms ban, the ban on underage drinking, the ban on underage sex, and the previous ban on smoking under the age of 16.

When will the government figure out that their laws are being continually and routinely ignored.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
When will the government figure out that their laws are being continually and routinely ignored.

Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast, especially with the Nanny State New Labour party in power. Typical Government response is tax it if possible, failing that, legislate it away. They couldn't possibly just allow people to live their lives as they see fit....

If I want to smoke and I do, then that is my choice. It affects no one else. If I get a disease as a result, then that is my responsibility. God knows that I, and other smokers, pay far more in Tax than treating us on the NHS would ever cost. Never mind the fact I actually go private anyway..

All I can suggest is going to the Number 10 website and starting petitions. You may even get an "official" Government response on why they know better than you and why you should do as they say.

Thing is, half the things Labour has brought in over the past 10 years, I don't ever remember being in the manifesto at the elections. And most of what WAS in the manifesto's is ignored.

Take Tuition fee's. labour promised they would never introduce "Top Up" fees for Uni, but, with the aid of the Scottish MP's (who's constituents would never be affected by such a move) brought them in anyway.

Democracy in action...

new topics

top topics

join