It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gable Film - Michigan Dogman

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   
'blair witch', anyone?

in case its genuine; the thing does move like a gorilla but its too blurry say anything more.

mouth shot is probably fake because the camera would be crushed after that snap and it couldn't continue recording. at least not so clear.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Looks like a wolverine to me. They were already scarce in Michigan in 1967 but there were still some around. They were scarce because most of them were shot on sight for being so nasty. Like large dog sized badgers. I read stories about them doubling back on hunters and stalking them. I dont see any movie footage on the wiki site but that looked like an attack rush to me.

en.wikipedia.org...

I'd say the footage is real, especially the mouth shot. If something with teeth is attacking you, you will try to shove whatever you have in its mouth, in this case ...the camera.

Seems like if it was labeled as a "case" film, there should be a record of some sort tucked away somewhere, unsolved death or missing person maybe?

"edit: I mentioned 1967 because they show the 67 truck in the video"

[edit on 29-9-2007 by Axxis]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Axxis

good call with wolverine.
about mouth shot; like i said, wouldn't camera end up crushed if it ended up in some animals mouth?

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   
It wouldnt necessarily crush the camera, first, because those critters are smart and it was going after the guy, the camera just got in the way of its teeth. Secondly , they show the make and model of the camera, they made stuff different in the 60's -70's, it wasnt the plastic crap that they pass off now, I'll bet that thing is made like a tank.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I have to agree that it looks like a wolverine. A big one.
Very interesting footage, though.

[edit on 29-9-2007 by TheComte]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   
My take on the film? ..... interesting to say the least

First, let me say that Michigan was a hotbed for young movie makers back in the seventies ..... this might have been one of their productions.

That said,

At first I thought that the creature looked like a gorilla or some sort of a primate but, as previously mentioned, the legs "didn't look right". The hind legs did not move like the legs of gorilla. The hind legs of the creature seemed to move like those of a dog! Incidentally, there are no indigenous apes of any kind in Michigan, Ohio or, for that matter, anywhere in the U.S.
Certainly one could have escaped from a zoo but I could not find any reports of escaped gorillas in Michigan while doing an extensive google search. I did, however, find a number of reports of escaped gorillas from zoos around the world.

I had to discount bears as well. Although there certainly were some similarities, no one in their right minds would chase after a bear. In mind that is almost inconceivable and I have to discount that entirely. Anyone living in rural Michigan would know not to chase after a bear....unless they were hunting ....period.

I also have to discount Wolverines. Wolverines are not animals that one just runs across. They are extremely reclusive and, besides, they don't typically attack people when there is an avenue of escape. Also, the creature appeared to be much larger than a wolverine --much larger. Wikipedia entry on wolverines

Another possibility is Bigfoot or another unknown creature of the sort. This would be one very plausible possibility as there have been numerous bigfoot sightings in Michigan over the years. Michigan Bigfoot Sightings

Another possibility is the famed "Sister Lakes Creature"
During the sixties, a plethora of wild reports started to fill Michigan newspapers about a seven foot tall creature resembling, as some reports stated, a cross between a black bear and a gorilla.

One thing is certain, the terrain in the video certainly resembled the Kalamazoo area of Sister Lakes.

I would guess that this video might have been made at the time of the Sister Lakes Creature sightings. It was either genuine or it might have been made to appear to be a genuine movie of the famed creature. In other words a hoax.

I'm afraid that we might never really know which it was. Real or Fake?

[edit on 9/29/2007 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Looks like a gorilla, and moves like a gorilla. Maybe a zoo animal was let loose?

Here some images, trippy looking eye.. Dont know if it the person being attacked or the animals eye.

[edit on 29-9-2007 by Freezer]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I grew up just north of Kalamazoo Michigan and one thing I noticed, in the start of the film is a water tower, if anyone could enhance that, you could get a name from it I think.. I had family on the east side of Michigan and this looks more flat like western Michigan.

I don't recall hearing about a "dogman" growing up, but I did hear about "Sharkmen" along the west lakeshore. I also know there were "alleged" Bigfoot sightings all over that area ( it was densely wooded in that time frame).

I didn't get a clear view of the "mouth" on the youtube video, and didn't see canine teeth (long incisors) are there stills on the other website? that would be a better clue to species

I do think it IS real, and most lilkely was near Saugatuck , Michigan
(Coral Gables area) but that is just a guess on my part, the water tower looks like the one they had around there at the time, I don't know why that water tower sticks in my head but there is something (wrong?) with it, but to me that seems the key. Not many water towers are set in such rural areas that I know of in lower Michigan at that time

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I would definately say Gorilla.

Look at the way a Gorilla accelerates, looks exaclty the same to me. Keep in mind though, that the large size of the one in the footage, makes it scream silverback to me.

And then look at the teeth:

Compare especially to the mid-photo posted above.

Edit: Looking at the way this creature moves, makes me believe that this is definately not a fake.

[edit on 29/9/07 by Thain Esh Kelch]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Yes it's definitely fascinating. It's very hard to say whether it's 100% gorilla, dog, fake, real. Anything really!

I hope that guy brings back more information. (I think it's on page1) He said he was handing over the footage to someone who was speaking about it at a conference of sorts. Be good to hear if he heard anything extra on it.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Ok me and my friend have had a good look at this and we were both convinced that what we was seeing was a gorilla!

But we have looked at this video frame by frame and have noticed something that makes the hair stand on end..

Watch the video from 3 mins and 9 seconds, this is where it looks like a gorilla. Keep watching and at 3 mins 13 secs you will notice that it appears to change shape almost to a bull, it suddenly has horns!

This to me is very odd, could this creature be some kind of demon that has the ability to shapeshift?

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
First it looks like a gorilla, but then it kinda looks like a bull. It had pointy teeth. Do gorilla's have pointy teeth or are they flat?

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
fake...

about as real as The Blair Witch Project. none of the, alleged, evidence is anything that could not easily be reproduced, today. it's a juvenile attempt to frighten and the "creature" lumbered like a human on all-fours.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
First, what are we supposed to assume from the dropping of the camera? Second, why not just film whatever it is from your car where you can at least balance the camera? Third, why are they just filming trees as they go by, and yes, they just happen to give you that shot of the camera in the sideview mirror just to give you that feeling of authenticity? Fourth, what are the odds of this thing showing up while they just happen to be filming trees for no reason?

If it's not a scam, and I think it is, I'll go with a bear or wolverine, but most likely a bear.

Peace

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Weird!

To me, it looks like a gorilla when it's stationary. But when it starts to move quickly towards the camera it looks moves like a canine.

Anyone know what happened to the guy who filmed it?

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
It is a bear hybridized with a canid (dog, coyote, wolf) run extremely fast. Brown bears can run 60 mph. MO

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
yea its odd how it seems the tape is spliced exactly when the creature first appears in frame. the camera is showing a tree and some other brush, then BAM total jump to a primate looking creature just sitting there in a different location.

upload.wikimedia.org...

this picture here of a wolverine is a dead ringer for the animal in the film. Also this picture can show a bit on how perspective works. Wolverines are not nearly as big as the one appears to be in this particular picture. It looks like it could be the size of a bear. With nothing else really in the shot to gauge size/scale, it's really hard to tell the size of something.

However, there's no way I know of to tame a wolverine, so I feel bad for the person with the camera if that was a wolverine.

It's either a hoax, with a large tamed bear/dog. Or an attack by a bear or wolverine. It DOES look like a gorilla at first, i'll give ya that, but runs like a bear/dog imo.

I also thought bear after first watching it though, but then again I've seen alot of show about bear attacks on TV lately, so maybe thats why I thought that.

As far as it shapeshifting, you get stuff like that with those old cameras when you move them quickly like it was moved to try to keep the animal in view.

Also someone must know something cause there are two people in the film. The one filming the other chopping the wood(the guy on the snowmobile isn't the person chopping the wood. Plus theres the driver of the truck, and a passenger with the camera.

Because it's clearly the passenger who got out to shoot the attack...., what happened to the driver? He left his friend for dead, and someone else found the camera laying there after the body was dragged away and eaten?

Alot of questions with this. There's gotta be a police report on this the case number looks like it should be able to be traced (which 'convienently' the website promoting the legend isn't pursuing)--to me that reeks of hoax.

Maybe getting a name off the water tower could give a lead. I failed to see it, but I only viewed the beginning once, and after that just the attack portion several times.

[edit on 29-9-2007 by Nola213]

[edit on 29-9-2007 by Nola213]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by humanunnaki

Yeah.... the only problem with that is bears wouldn't mate with canines naturally in the wild. Oh, and another problem is even if (and that's the biggest if) they did have intercourse, it would produce no issue. Bears and dogs can't produce offspring because they're too genetically dissimilar. I mean Chimpanzees are almost human but it would still be nearly impossible for us to breed with them (and anyone who thinks Oliver is an example of a Humanzee needs to read up).

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
If you watch the thing's back end when it runs, it doesn't look like it would have legs as short as a gorilla's to be moving like that. It seems to me that it's picking up it's back legs a lot more than a gorilla would be able to while running, unless it was running much faster than it was in this video.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ellroy
mouth shot is probably fake because the camera would be crushed after that snap and it couldn't continue recording. at least not so clear.

As for the mouth shot, just because you see the mouth and teeth doesn't mean it bit the camera.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join