It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Protects the Supreme Court? or Congress?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Maybe I am not looking in the right places, but I am trying to figure out if there is a big hole in the security of our leaders.

Many know that US Presidents have Secret Service protection, and up until recently, they had it for life. I believe President Clinton is the last president to have that priviledge, and current and future Presidents will only have the extended protection for a few years out of office. Also, we know that the families of the President have protection.

But who is protecting the Supreme Court? I think that the assasination of a Supreme Court Justice/s could have much more dire effects for the country than the head of state.

Is anyone protecting them? I doubt that a Secret Service Agent is 'guarding' our Representatives in Congress either, unless the Senator from Idaho 'slipped' his protection when he was acting the fool in that Minnesota airport washroom.

I don't know, I feel that someone should be protecting them.
DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The impact of assassinating a single Supreme Court justice could have more long-term impact, but would have far less short term impact...after all, he (or she) is one of nine members...so the loss of one, while a major event, will not stop the Court from doing its job. That said, the loss of a single Justice to some sort of direct action would result in the surviving eight getting *very* serious protection. That makes a single Justice a poor target. Multiple Justices are a much harder target, since they normally assemble only at the Supreme Court, and the building does have security, even though the members of the Court don't.

Congress is protected more by its size than anything else...535 members. Getting rid of one or two....or even a dozen...wouldn't be enough to disrupt the governmental function of the Congress, but would result in a massive security cordon around the survivors. Certain members of Congress might have protective details, primarily those members who are near the top of the Presidential succession. I suspect (but don't know for a fact) that Speaker Pelosi has at least a small detail, for example.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Both the Congress and the Supreme Court have their own police forces, but generally they don't have the 24 hour personal protection the president has unless there's some threat made against them.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I believe the House and Senate leadership has protection when they travel, even to and from work. The Chief Justice also has manpower with him for public trips and events. This protection is provided by the Capitol Police.

The Capitol Police protect the Senate and House chambers. I'm sure they do the same for the Supreme Court building.

As for the average house member or run of the mill Senator, I don't know if they have round the clock protection.

www.uscapitolpolice.gov...

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Okay, so at least there is some protection. I knew their had to be.

In regard to the Justices, I was thinking that an attack on multiple justices being made by an extremist to 'remove' their liberal views from the court, and get them replaced with conservatives. I don't know, I just imagine if 3/9 or even 2/9 were killed in the same day, it might mean Marshall Law, or at the very least, the Patriot Act becoming the new Constitution.

With Congress it dawned on me that they must not have 24 hour protection, otherwise how would they get themselves in the 'pickles' they get into like Gay Sex in a Airport Bathroom. Unless of course, the security stays outside and 'watches the door'...
If someone were to assassinate members of congress, I would think that it might have to do with specific legislation and that member's votes.

I don't know. I am glad that my fears have been calmed. Now, I only feel that perhaps they need better protection.

DocMoreau

top topics

join