It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Government shuts down!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Wow, sounds bad there.

I didnt realise there was any welfare state to speak of in the US.

I think it is a bad idea to blame the immigrants though, Hitler started off along a similar path.

They should be taken in an made to share the tax burden, how can you claim benifits if you havent paid anything in?

As for the poor heart bypass guy who drives an SL, sounds like somebody needs to inform the IRS of potential tax evasion there.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DeepCoverUK

Thats a good laugh,call the IRS on a illegal immigrant,and what set my self up for several years of tax audits

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
My mind is unclear about this, because years ago little was made of this kind of fiscal irresponsibility.
But, I seem to remember that the state of Michigan shut down before, either in the 70s or early 80s.
Way before 24/7 news.

Sad that one side wanted to extend everything for 30 days while a plan could be worked out the the sorry excuse for a governor decided on the more dramatic route.
I cannot see how the state can recover with even a few days loss of revenues that would result with the shutdown :shk:

Parts of MIchigan are indeed beautiful. But these days, all that can be seen are economic disasters.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
If you havent fiddled your taxes, you have nothing to fear!

Somebody needs to do it, this guy is clearly abusing the system.

Maybe you just prefer to whine about the illegals, rather than doing the right thing.

Or if you fancy, you could join them, claim poverty and sponge off the state!

You could also come out mafia style and get him to pay your special taxes

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
First off for my cursing and trying to cover it up with @#@$ that stuff I am sorry, I will do my best to choose more appropriate words when my blood is boiling.

I dont have any problem with imigrants, this country is an imigrant country, and I have no problem with people seeking a better life. I do have a problem with people coming in illegally, and sucking off the system. They come in here, they dont bother to learn the language, they push their culture on us, and expect us to give up ours. If I were to move to another country, I sure as heck would learn their language, and do everything i could to contribute. But I truly believe there are bigger things at work, then just not being able to stop them from coming across the border.

I saw a story the other day about hillary giving every child a 5000 bond. Sounds like a good idea, but where is the money going to come from, there is another politician with the just tax em idea. She stated every child is born with 27,000 thousand debt on them already, so lets give them 5 grand off the bat. How many millions of children are born every year? How many billions of dollars will this cost tax payers every year? Do you think people will take advantage of that a little bit? Man I need some money, lets have a baby! She should be run out on a rail for even proposing something so ridiculous. But people just eat that stuff up, free money, oooooooh, me like that idea.

I think as another person posted, we will just keep seeing this throughout the country. It seems so simple to me that if you tax people to death, that is going to have a negative effect on the economy. If you give people a little relief, they are goign to go out and put more of their money into the economy. I get so mad about it, I just cant even see straight.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This is an old tactic and could be a thread unto itself.

The state claims that they can't work out a budget then they scare everyone into accepting property or sales tax increases to keep the state from going "bankrupt."

DON'T FALL FOR IT! The states EACH have BILLIONS in assets that they don't claim on "budget" reports because the states don't do accounting like businesses or individuals are required to.

The State of Michigan at the State-level has approximately $10.13 billion of the taxpayer's money it is not using, i. e. surpluses equal to $1,009 for every man, woman and child in Michigan or $4,034 for a family of 4.

From the CAFR Network's Report for Michigan

Each year the state has millions in dollars that aren't spent on public works or wages and instead get "spent" on various investments. Unlike you, I, or even Enron, the states claim these investments are one-off expenses. This lets the money disappear from the books and it never is counted again. Yet the money going into various funds and investments continue to appreciate and grow as any normal investment would. Because of they way they are accounted for, the money is never again counted in later years' budget.

What all this means for the lay person is that the state can hide a large portion (or all) of their "fat" and never claim any "fat" on the next years budget. This system is a mechanism for the state to claim it isn't operating with a profit (which is against the law in this country) and still have extra money to support their corruption. At the same time, it allows the state to raise taxes next year by faking a budget crisis even though it made more than it needed to operate last year (and probably will again this year.)

It is criminal and it needs to be stopped. Preferably with hangings. Let the light posts which your tax-money paid for get put to a GOOD use.

Find your state on the CAFR Man's page to see how much you are being robbed by the people you elected: www.cafrman.com...

Jon

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I cant believe thay would go this far ("GOVERNOR GRANHOLM SAYS IF STATE LAWMAKERS DON'T APPROVE A NEW BUDGET BY SUNDAY NIGHT, THEN 85 PERCENT OF THE STATE POLICE INCLUDING THE HASTINGS POST WILL BE PUT ON LAYOFF UNTIL A BUDGET IS APPROVED. THE MICHIGAN STATE POLICE TROOPERS ASSOCIATION IS BLASTING THE MOVE BY THE GOVERNOR, SAYING THAT IS PUTTING MICHIGAN CITIZENS AT RISK."
sited at: www.ask4direct.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Oh yes this is happening in michigan.IF a compromise happenens today government offices can open on tues.at the soonest.A caseworker at social service told me that they will definitly be closed monday and she had no further info about when re opening.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel
This is an old tactic and could be a thread unto itself.

The state claims that they can't work out a budget then they scare everyone into accepting property or sales tax increases to keep the state from going "bankrupt."

DON'T FALL FOR IT! The states EACH have BILLIONS in assets that they don't claim on "budget" reports because the states don't do accounting like businesses or individuals are required to.

People from Michigan have been snookered by so many political tactics that they are starting to wake up and smell the BS.

I am crossing my fingers on this one, we'll see what transpires here in the near future.

As far as I am concerned close it all down and dock everyone's pay, pensions and medical too.

Time to call their bluffing tactics and start to see where the real money can be saved.

[edit on 29-9-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeepCoverUK
If you havent fiddled your taxes, you have nothing to fear!

Oh but your very wrong. You do not need to have done any true wrong....all you have to have done is misplaced the paper trail from say...7 years ago.
If you misplace just a couple of proofs of your paying taxes on a couple of small jobs, then the IRS will decide for you what they think you should have paid, adding intrest and penalties and take it from you now....even if you DID pay back then, if you misplace the proof (via a move or a fire or flood) they will force you to pay all over again. They will take the furniture out of your house and the clothes off your back.

So there is a whole heck of allot to fear! If the IRS comes asking for an audit of a few past years if your paperwork files are not air tight you do have cause to fear.

[edit on 29-9-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Thats pretty harsh, but still thay guy shouldnt be allowed to get away with paying no taxes and working the system!

Cant you make an anonymous tip to the IRS?

It sounds like the whole system is backwards, honest working people who pay their taxes are more afraid than those who flaunt the fact that they do not?

Back on the original topic, is the state government going to be under investigation for financial mismanagement?

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

they will force you to pay all over again. They will take the furniture out of your house and the clothes off your back.

So there is a whole heck of allot to fear! If the IRS comes asking for an audit of a few past years if your paperwork files are not air tight you do have cause to fear.

[edit on 29-9-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

That is why people always need to incorporate. They can not take your personal possessions if you are incorporated only what the corporation has or owns.

People are winning against the IRS these days, but it takes a lot of money and time in court.

Aside from the federal taxes every American pays tons of taxes on just about everything.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
An over burdened Michigan People get hit with more taxes they can't afford.

Just what I expected they raised income taxes in Michigan pushing all the bad political decisions and statewide programs over onto the little people that don't have a lot in the first place.

It's amazing the bubble they live in, just as long as they meaning state employee's keep their comforts they will tax the masses to pay for it all.

Michigan Averts Shutdown

Under the budget deal, Michigan lawmakers voted to raise the state's income tax rate to 4.35 percent from 3.9 percent and to apply the sales tax to services such as interior design and landscaping.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 1-10-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Wow ,even more tax after a tax you would tax tax be tired tax tax more tax tax tax tax tax ........ectax..

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This was just a ploy to gain public sympathy for raising taxes.
Somehow I don't think it's gonna work.
Taxing ski resorts, but not gold courses, for example.
Manicures, but not hair care.
I'm not sure what some of these mean, but I'm wondering if I'm correct that UPS deliveries and pay phones will be taxed:
list of services taxed

Businesses were wincing at the thought of a 6 percent services tax state, afraid it will drive away customers or force them to hike prices to offset the loss.

From ski resorts to tanning salons, business owners worried about how clients would respond to the hike. Other services targeted under the proposal include landscaping, security system services and carpet cleaning. The tax would raise $600 million from December through September 2008 and $725 million annually thereafter. The state House passed the measure Sunday evening; the Senate passed the sales tax expansion early today.

Please note that this whole tax, tax and more taxes is still only a bandaid
I heard one "news"cast state it is 80% taxes and 20% cuts. Seems it should be the other way around.
Someone needs to state thinking of permanent fixes.
www.detnews.com...

Michigan's elected officials performed miserably in the handling of this crisis. The opportunity was there in February for Granholm to rally lawmakers and the citizenry to use the massive budget shortfall as an opportunity to reinvent government.

Instead she offered a solution that protected the status quo in Lansing with one of the largest tax hikes in Michigan history. She was supported by House Speaker Andy Dillon, D-Redford and his majority caucus, even though throughout the process Dillon paid lip service to the need for innovation and bold ideas.

So, now the taxes on my part-time job are going up. Now it looks like I'll be working a few extra days for the political machine in Michigan.
how much new taxes will cost citizens

[edit on 1-10-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
This was just a ploy to gain public sympathy for raising taxes.
Somehow I don't think it's gonna work.

I wish I could give you an Applause!

Your 100% right people in Michigan aren't as stupid as the legislature thinks. Time will tell now.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I am under the impression, and I forget the source that implied this, that the lower and middle class are literally being forced out of Michigan. I even heard something about a grant the state would give to help people relocate to another state.

I know things are bad in my town. The factory I was forced to take a job in has a clear demarcation between upper and lower class. Currently over 30 people are in lay-off until 'more work' shows up. The only reason I am still working is because of my skill-set and educational and employment background. Though I am still treated as lower class and flat out lied to about the appropriate pay scale.

At this point though I am glad to even have a job, as I don't want to move to any urban centers. We will see how long things last though, with the costs of gas and food increasing noticeably.

We are alive at an interesting time in the history of the world.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Earlier this year, a man protested his taxes here. Granted they were his personal property taxes, but still. He paid his bill in $1 bills. Made quite an impression. I think he said he was going to start paying for everything in $1 bills. Could you imagine the kind of hell we could raise if we all paid in dollar bills? They have to sit and count it all, there is not an excuse they can use for why they wont take it. Not like they cant make change or anything.

Just an idea.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

I believe Larry Flint did this to pay court fines at one time

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Ah, I didnt know he did it too. Seems like a good idea to me. People realy get a sense of what things cost when they see it like that. I have thought, several times, about doing some sort of a "dollar day" protest. Uncle sam wont allow payment in cash, but Quick trip does, as well as the grocery store, etc.. It does not just affect the people who have to count it, its quite a large domino affect really. Especially if you did it often like designate every Monday as "dollar day".

<< 1  2    4 >>

join