It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Government shuts down!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I have heard a few times from around my area,that illegals like Michigan because its easer to obtain Gov.assistance.
It may sound like I'm picking on illegals but for the first time in my area It's front page newssearch.jconline.com... IdType=2

(note: this is based on my opinion and can not be proven)

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DamnedDirtyApes

Yes, they are making cuts in the prison system

This is excactly what happened to Montana. California made cuts and started sending there prisoners to Montana. Now the crime rate has gone up, the drug rate has gone up........what is really going on?

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by deadcatsrule

The reason why the government seems to be so lax on the illegal alien thing is because of the NAU.

www.humanevents.com...

We will be closer to globalization then we ever have before. Hopefully the other two countries adopt out constitution.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I live in Northville, MI and had just graduated from Univ of Michigan last Dec. Forget about getting a job with the big three. It just isn't going to happen.

The only stable and reliable industry in Michigan (and probably the rest of the country) is aerospace and defense. As long as the military needs missiles, engines, and weapons for war, we'll always have a job. Since most of the stuff we do is sensitive in nature, the chance of outsourcing is minimum. For that, I am glad that I majored in Aerospace Engineering. I started my job at Williams International (turbofan engines for bizjets and military apps) immediately out of college and the companies been completely rock solid (and has been for years and years). In fact, there have constantly been new job openings.

Those of you thinking about careers, consider the defense industry.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by prona

That or tourism for northern Michigan, not much manufacturing or aerospace or defense up here in the Traverse City area.

Such a shame as this is a beautiful part of the world.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
All I can say is someone sold us out.

Who is spending 750million a day in Iraq?

Why did the U.S. go to Afghanistan and Iraq in the first place?

You bet your declining Dollar you have been sold out.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth4hire

Originally posted by wantsome
All I can say is someone sold us out.

Who is spending 750million a day in Iraq?

Why did the U.S. go to Afghanistan and Iraq in the first place?

You bet your declining Dollar you have been sold out.

Too off topic for this thread...valid points all of them but please dont derail the conversation.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Timmyboi23

maybe mexico should send some cash to Michigan
sorry if Too off topic

[edit on 28-9-2007 by deadcatsrule]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by deadcatsrule

I know we sent most of our cars to be built there...so that is a valid point...on the other hand Canada could send some cash too...now that their loonie par with the dollar! Should have purchased those currency commodities years ago.../facepalm

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChilledVoodoo
Has this happened in other states? If so how long did it take before it was resolved? If anyone has any ideas how to solve this problem let me know.

This has happened in Minnesota on at least 2 occasion within the last 4 or 5 years. Basically, until the state agrees on a budget plan, they can shut down the state gov. Once a budget is agreed on, the state re-opens. In Minnesota, it effects the same - parks, state offices including licensing offices, and in Minnesota I believe at 1 time it even involved the Hiwghway Dept. (I dont recall it happening in the winter though - thank goodness)

The only way to fix this is to have the state officials from all sides to agree on a budget. They do this so they dont have to spend more money paying out employees, services, etc while they dont even know what kind of situation they are looking at in the first place.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Maybe she could take ideas from the governer to the south in Indiana and lease the state of Michigan to some foreign company, like the idiot did with the toll road. Governments, state, local, fed, run so piss poor it makes me physically ill. How do we get out of a budget crisis, we raise the taxes on the people. That makes sense, lets take a situtation where people are stretched financially to the max, and impose more taxes on them. That is the problem with government, they run as though they have unlimited pockets. No more money, more taxes, it is retarded, you cant tax the people to the point that they are losing their houses, and not living a quality of life they should from getting their asses out of bed everyday to go to work. It happened in California when I lived there, it got to the point where enough was enough and I got out of there. You guys up there in Michigan need Nugent for your governer, you need someone that is going to just start slashing welfare and other BS out of control spending and programs.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Michigan in particular has VERY liberal politicians that spend like drunken
sailors. I was born there and now live in Illinois. The Red Ink here is
getting worse, but it's NOTHING compared to Michigan.

The state of Michigan is IDEAL for those who are low income, seniors,
or for government employees.

My parents are in their 80's and earn $28K. I checked the state of
Michigan websites and found subsidies and benefits for them that would
make your head spin. This was 8 years ago. After contacting a couple
of the State agencies, they began sending caseworkers to my parent's
to assess what their needs were.

Now get ready for this.. the State of Michigan installed a New Furnace,
bought them a new Washer/Dryer, sends a lady to clean the house
2 times a week and delivers 2 meals a day. The state just sent my
mom a motorized wheelchair because she's having trouble walking
and they pay for this service where she can press a button in the case
of an emergency. Once a month, they have box loads of items delivered
that range from Laundry Detergent to Orange Juice to Adult Pampers.

Because these are my parents and they're on the receiving end of these
benefits, I'm elated! But I understand that doing all of these things for
them and also much younger people in Michigan can't continue for the
long term without fiscal meltdown. It appears that this may be about
to happen. Stop-gap measures won't work. The State will have to
increase revenues AND reduce expenses on a massive scale. I suppose
the key is to determine where money can be found and what can be
cut out without actually endangering anyone.

I suppose if Hillary Clinton is elected, we may see financial crises's like
this on a national scale. She's promising a lot of benefits, but has
changed her mind on pulling us out of Iraq to save money. Guess the
U.S. Treasury should be preparing to print a lot more greenbacks, eh?
-cwm

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The illegal imigrant thing is not off topic in this discussion, as it directly effects what is happening, not just in Michigan, but everywhere in this country. Enough is enough, and it wont ever change until people step away from the idiot box and start thinking for themselves and do something proactive. You get those people up here, they will work for pennies, they take advantage of all the benefits of this country, and dont put anything back into the system. Anger at this point is the only way, we gotta get mad as hell, I think this country is standing on the door step of going down the tubes. The only thing that makes me feel better is knowing that people are waking up to the BS, stepping away from their televisions, now all that is left is to get them mad as hell.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
Guess the U.S. Treasury should be preparing to print a lot more greenbacks, eh?
-cwm

Well this may be off topic a bit, but The US Treasury doesn't really print the money. It's done by banks AT INTEREST! So it's just a vicious cycle of inflation.

Anyway ON TOPIC: I haven't seen a total Gov't collapse in Illinois (yet), but my Aunt & Uncle live in Detroit, and he hasn't been able to find work for like 2 years. Luckily my Aunt is an electrical engineer willing to travel and is often working within 40 minutes of me at a nuclear plant and gets paid very well to travel. BTW: Sorry to hear about Pfizer and Chrysler, I think my area got both of 'em (or at least part of the production). Both companies are doing very well in Illinois so far (from what I've heard anyway, I have friends who work at both plants)

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by gunner36

after all illegals and over spending are why my property tax is almost as much as my mortgage.Making them legal will only open up a new free for all work force that will end up with our jobs at half the pay and no benifets

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gunner36

There is an illegal immigrant who rents an office below where I work. He
runs a company based in Mexico that ships goods to the U.S.. A few
months ago he had triple-bypass surgery after suffering a heart attack.
I asked him how he did that without insurance. (I've tried to sell him
insurance in the past, but he didn't want to buy any.) He just smiled and
replied with "I am poor".

This guy has a fleet of trucks, drives a Mercedes 500SL and now he's
the recipient of a $210,000 heart operation, with ongoing rehab, free
of charge.. As Gunner36 stated, the Illegal Citizen issue indeed does
negatively affect the financials of our government...at all levels.
-cwm

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
That makes me madder then a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. You should have punched that smug *SNIP* in the mouth when he told you he was poor. Thanks for Clinton and Nafta for his busines. I am planning next year when taxes are due, to go ahead and make copy of my ass and my middle finger. Then go ahead and load up and wait for them to try and take my house.

As another person was talking about the stuff his parents get. This isnt an attack towards your parents, but that is exactly why that state and this country is in financial sh!t. I dont want to think of someones grandma eating dog food because she cant afford anything else. But without sounding too callous, it isnt my problem. If I out of the goodness of my heart decided to help someone like that, that is a decision that I should be able to make, not a decision some Bureaucrat makes for me. You get all these people, and I have been around alot of politicians in my life, and the majority of them are greedy and power hungry. They are little men and women who have somehow lost all goodness in their hearts, and just crave power. You do have some however that do it for the service of the people because they feel it is their duty. There is no accountability for their actions, people are so busy zoning out in their lives they dont see what is going on. Those people serve us, they dont serve whatever special interest is lining their pocket. But it doesnt matter, because people are watching fox or cnn and taking all the crap that is being force fed to them. They need to know, we are watching what you do, and we will by god hold you accountable for your actions. People are scared, I understand that, we are conditioned to fear our government, and that is wrong wrong wrong. I am so sick of out of control government spending, I am tired of paying so many taxes becuase they are too stupid to see down the road. I knew there were alot of taxes, but it never occured to me how many until after I watched freedom to facism. How much money would go to my family if I didnt pay so many BS taxes? I dont even want to put pen to paper and figure that out, it would probably send me over the edge.

-----------------------------
Edit for censor circumvention

please read ABOUT ATS: Vulgarity and The Automatic ATS Censors

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 28/9/07 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
East Michigan is where all the problems are coming from, over here in west Michigan Devoss is keeping the economy going. Too bad the people on the other side of the state didn't vote for him last election. Almost everyone hunts and fishes too, so a poor economy only hurts the "city types" who don't pay thier houses off, buy new cars every year, and save no money. If I get hungry, I will just shoot the deer or turkeys that walk around where I live.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Was gonna start a new thread, but decided to do a search first and found this one. Eh, I'll just slap up what I had.

A good source of info on the problem: WILX10 Lansing TV Station

Michigan Officially Closed

Not sure if anyone has seen this or not, but over the past few weeks, Michigan's legislative bransh has been bickering between each other over possible tax hikes. Our state, this year, has an approx $1.7 billion deficit to fix and our young legislatures don't want to put a blemish on their young reputations by raising income and possibly sales tax their first terms.

Unfortunately because of this, they have yet to come up with a fiscal 2008 budget, which is due on Monday October 1st. Our great Governor Jennifer Granholm decided last night (Thursday) to begin implementing a partial state shutdown, closing much of the government institutions across the state. Many people are looking down on her for this, but I think it was a good thing.

If she had not done this, everything would've come to a screeching halt on Monday morning, leaving many without any warning. The funny part is that she proposed a BALANCED budget 8 months ago, and lawmakers have still not come up with a solution.

Here is a list of the various state services that will be closing down including various police, Secratary of State, and educational services:
List of Services
According to WILX10, this will cost 35,000 state employees their jobs for the duration of the shutdown. There is controversy over wether they should've been given 30 day warnings

For a little background info on our state. According to our governor, our state has "over 700% more automotive jobs than any other state in the U.S." Last week, the UAW-GM workers held a strike over job security and retiree wages/benefits. During the strike, they are compensated by their union for lost wages. The "suppliers" for GM, however, who are also mostly UAW union members, are compensated through the state unemployment program, as they are officially laid off. The funny thing about GM (and most other car manufacture plants) are that they are "assembly" plants. They recieve most of their parts and just put them all together. This saves tons of labor for the company and allows other companies to "specialize" in certain parts and
provide them for many different models and companies. This means that there were just as many, if not more, suppliers laid off than there were GM employees on strike.

Michigan Fast Facts
Basically, our state is in a huge mess, we already had one of the highest unemployment rates in the country at 7.4% as of August 2007. Add to this 35,000 state workers indefinitely laid off, and also thousands (don't have the exact numbers) of autoworkers laid off for half a week, our economy is going to be in the dumps before too long.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
If the 35,000 state workers draw unemployment, not much $$$ is
being saved really. What a catch-22 for the state, but at least the
workers will earn enough to stay afloat (hopefully). I was on
unemployment compensation in Michigan several years ago.
Since it wasn't taxed, I actually had as much discretionary income
as I had before quitting the prior US Navy job with taxable income.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join