It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Government shuts down!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
How can this happen? I live in Michigan and can not belive this is happening. We can't go to the seceratary of state, go to parks, and even road construction is coming to a halt! Not to mention , certian types of licences will be imposible to get, and even the sale of packaged liquor is going to stop.
The state is 2 BILLION in the red. How in the world are we going to survive? A continuation budget is going to do nothing but run the state further in the hole. The lawmakers need to comprimise soon, or else we are going to be in big trouble. I think i might move to a different state if things dont change.
Has this happened in other states? If so how long did it take before it was resolved? If anyone has any ideas how to solve this problem let me know.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
mind posting some links / more info?

I had no idea this was even possible...

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

This was what I could find:

Governor has no choice but to shut down, experts say

Gov. Jennifer Granholm has no clear constitutional authority to continue any state operations beyond this Sunday -- essential or non-essential -- without a budget agreement, according to a memo released Thursday by a group of state government experts.

But if no agreement is reached, passage of a temporary continuation budget is probably the best of a series of bad options -- and at least arguably legal -- the memo said.

The memo was drafted by Patrick Anderson, a former deputy state budget director, in consultation with analysts from the Citizens Research Center, Michigan Chamber, and public schools and universities.

“The preferred option, by far, is to enact a budget” before Sunday, Anderson said. “But if that doesn’t happen, we think there is a tenuous basis for an emergency authority during a very short time frame"

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Intriguing. Can anyone from there explain what's up?

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This is the direct effect of a nation strung out on credit. Hedge funds, Jumbo loans, The Japanese 0.00 intrest rate has ended. USA is in big trouble, by design. The resistance is growing so fast the crash has to happen soon.With the people connecting on the internet, it is estimated 100,000 people a day are being awakened to the situation.

This is because people think they are just here to be entertained, exactly as planned.
DWT

[edit on 27-9-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The debt is nearing $9 trillion

www.brillig.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
www.woodtv.com...

Here is a link to the story. In the article it mentions over 50,000 state employees being layed off on monday, without the standard 30 day notice. Also the article talks about how prison guards will not be getting a paycheck.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I live here in Ann Arbor MI and I thought I just heard the budget was agreed upon and a lot of cuts were made. Cuts from Institutions which I am a part of because I work for the University of Michigan and there are a lot of people afraid they are going to lose their jobs.

So I see a lot of downsizing that COULD be possible. College students graduating with high degree have been moving out of Michigan because there are no jobs here that can pay them enough to stay.

Detroit is corrupt and falling apart for years but it's worse now because of the corrupt Mayor robbing the till and stealing the last election. (must of got pointers from Bush)

It looks like Michigan is close to ROCK BOTTOM. And the thing with Rock Bottom is that there is no where to go but upwards.

If I lose my job, then I will just get another or move as well. The Job Market is tough here and I've notice the growth of entrepreneurship is on the rise. There are a lot of small business growing here in Ann Arbor. I know Google just moved here and they seem to be doing ok for the time being. This economy is forcing Michigan to think and work differently but believe over time we will do great things here. It's time to adapt to changing times and I am even considering starting my own personal business.

The taxes here are killer though.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
They are shutting down the prisons?????

What about the Michigan State Police and the state universities, state hospitals, etc?

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

Yes, they are making cuts in the prison system. The state can't afford to keep inmates. Whether those being released were convicted on lesser crimes rather than the more serious crimes is uncertain. At one point during the summer, L.Brooks Patterson, the executive on affluent Oakland County, made the claim that Michigan residents should go out and buy a gun for the house, preferrably an Uzi. Of course, there were people who acted shocked about the statement. I expect those same people have a crowd pleaser in their homes already. Maybe it was just the suggestion of the Uzi.

Things have been bad here in Michigan for a long time. I don't think that we have seen the worst yet. Yes it's bad, what used to be the Motor City is but a mere shell of its former self. It's like when a leader becomes a legend. The problem, Michigan's employment base was so structured around the autos, they didn't prepare for the possibility that the industry would go elsewhere. Manufacturing cities for GM like Flint and Detroit are just busted. The closing of Ford plants, the same thing. The subdivisions that surround the bigger sprawling cities are full of homes for sale and foreclosures. It doesn't look like it will get better anytime soon. I may pull stakes myself soon, only after I finish school.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ChilledVoodoo

Could this have a ripple effect through the country?

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I live in michigan too, at one point I was making $17 an hour before the economy went bust. After two years of being unemployed I had to take a job for $7 an hour. I've lost everything I own and I had to sell all my stuff just to get by.

Everyone I know is in a similar situation two of my neighbors lost thier homes. I have a friend that went through the same thing I did having to take a huge paycut. My whole family is struggleing I have a uncle that was making $25 an hour he wont for less and hasn't had a job in 3 years. I could go on and on but I wont.

Most of the manufactuing jobs have gone to China and India. Why pay someone a living wage in the states when someone in another country will do it for $.50 an hour.

All I can say is someone sold us out.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Damn... the worlds most dangerous country with tons of nuclear weapons are collapsing from the inside. I actually feel afraid that the government may lash out at the world, bringing everyone down with them when the entire country fall...

I really hope not.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This is very very bad news. Its only a matter of time before this starts happening to other states. What has congress said about all of this? I hope they step in at some point with aid.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Ap That is exactly what has been in the works since 1776. The destruction of freedom of speech is the main target. World Court is the goal.

I think Americans want to see themselves be destroyed.
By not caring about what people warn them about, and turning their cheek to the murder of iraq civilians, they will get exactly what they give to the world. War, death, enslavement.

This Michigan incident is a major red flag.
Humpty Dumpty is all over the ground here.
DWT

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
It's happened a few times here in Pennsylvania. As a matter of fact it happened earlier thus year. They can't settle/agree on a budget so the state gov't shuts down, including state parks and such. Though, it typically only amounts to a day so until they can get their act together and come to an agreement.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Well, I hope you are right about this. I have too much family in Detroit, I dont want to see anything happen to them.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
State government shut down? Good. They cannot waste anymore money then. Life goes on. I guess people are so conditioned that they NEED the government to live, that they just cannot function when something like this happens. Get out and enjoy life and don't lose any sleep over this. Life will go on.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Mite be a good time to stop supporting illegal immigrants.You may not be able to work for $7.00 an hour but there are millions of them that will

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome

Most of the manufactuing jobs have gone to China and India. Why pay someone a living wage in the states when someone in another country will do it for $.50 an hour.

All I can say is someone sold us out.

Our Governor Jennifer Granholm has done a horrible job, without even bringing up the Auto industry she has let the state commerce completely fall apart.

Instead of offering incentives to small business her administration levies higher taxes. What needs to be done is a major benefits cut back for everyone at the top and all the governmental employees, because we can't squeeze blood out of a stone.

The current government benefits and social programs were established around a booming economy and now we have a shell of what was. Since all the little people have to tighten their belts so should the government.

We lost Pfizer which employed 10,000 jobs in the Ann Arbor area, this one should have never happened and Granholm sat back and did almost nothing.

Next Comerica bank left Michigan for Dallas.

Michigan job loss is the longest since the Great Depression.

UMICH Story

This idiot of a Governor wants to increase taxes more than we have now?

We have some of the highest taxes in the country right now. Average home taxes in the suburban area are about 3 to 4 thousand dollars a year. I have friends with new homes paying as high as 15 thousand a year in taxes for a 3500 sq ft home, this is highway robbery already and she wants to add more? WTF!

Time to cut all government health plans and then everyone in the government sector will see exact what the rest of us are enduring with ridiculous rising medical costs, then we need to cut pensions, and wages too.

Again if the money isn't flowing like when Michigan had a booming economy, then it is time to cut way back and lower taxes to match what people are making. Granholm is living in a bubble.

Government Shutdown in Michigan October 1st

Democratic Governor Granholm says she will not agree to massive cuts in these programs, unless there is also a tax increase, making it clear that there are only mild tactical differences between the two parties.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 28-9-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Michigan has had it so good for so long (prosperity in manufacturing, specifically with auto builders) that it had a short-sighted mentality for spending money (or lack of saving money). For example, look at the so called "Big Three" GM, Ford and Chrysler...they could be used as microcosms of the Michigan condition...the strikes, the lack of budgetary responsibility, and the movement of the public from their product to an another/other manufacturers (location). Michigan will reel from these effects for a very long time, and the only thing I see changing is the state government punishing the people who stick with her by taxing more and more for greater amounts. The state is talking about taxing things such as labor and services, which were previously tax exempt, and I feel that there must be thought to begin to tax staples like food as well.

All in all not a good situation to be in or a great state to live in at the moment.

[edit on 28-9-2007 by DagoTime]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join