It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uh oh, Carbon Tax Legislation Draft Proposal Unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I have always had a suspicion that the power brokers in DC have been positioning themselves in the "carbon offset" industries for the next money grab.

This is the new draft legislation on the issue of making citizens conform to the wishes of these GW advocates.

One of the proposals is a $.50 gal gasoline tax, which was brought up on Neil Cavuto's show today and he was debating a proponent of this legislation. When asked how could lower income workers who have long commutes cope with this increased burden, the proponent said that it will be good for the automakers because these low income citizens could easily offset the increased fuel cost by getting a new efficient vehicle.

Yeah right, I am sure that these lower income people, already strapped by the fuel and consumer goods price increases, have had the time to put away money to get one of these new vehicles.

This is a draft and the link takes you to the complete proposal which has a link asking for comments.

If you like this proposal, let the congressman know,

If you dislike the proposal let the congressman know.

Summary of Draft Carbon Tax Legislation
Representative John D. Dingell

The earth is getting warmer and human activities are a large part of the cause. We need to act in order to prevent a serious problem. The world’s best scientists agree we need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 60-80 percent by 2050 in order to limit the effects of global warming and this legislation will put us on track to do just that.

This is a massive undertaking, and it will not be easy to achieve, but we simply must accomplish this goal; our future and our children’s futures depend on it.

In order to get to this end we need to have a multi-pronged approach. In addition to an economy wide cap-and-trade program, which would mandate a cap on carbon emissions, a fee on carbon emissions is the most effective way to curb emissions and make alternatives economically viable.

Please check this out, there are other potential tax increases in this proposal which may interest you as well.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Minor correction to your post

If you like this proposal, let the congressman know,

should be

If you like this proposal, why on earth, why?

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Yup, I knew it wouldn't take long before this whole global warming thing would just turn into a way for people to profit from it. Believe it or not though, there will be a lot of people who like this proposal. I live in a community that doesn't have public transportation. This gas tax would kill me. I am so sick and tired of all those people who live in urban cities criticizing everyone and saying everyone should take buses or trains. Guess what?! I don't have that option!

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by logicize

That is what I thought but it is only a draft proposal at the moment and I want to hear opinions from all sides.

[edit on 2007/9/27 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Wow, and I was just thinking this morning, ''Boy, do I need a new tax on my already substantially taxed income.''

It seems that only a portion of this will be invested in pursuing energy development of any type and will be instead used to subsidize social services. I do see the Earned Income Tax Credit is being increased......anyone have a few kids I can borrow.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus
I do see the Earned Income Tax Credit is being increased....

They have to put something in there as a selling point....

In the end you would still be worse off, the credit would not offset the taxes paid by no means.

We still end up with the short end of the stick, while others get rich on the new green industry.

It's all about making money, it always is....

Disguised as concern for the Earth, and perceived compassion for the less fortunate.

Same game, new identity.....

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by closettrekkie
Yup, I knew it wouldn't take long before this whole global warming thing would just turn into a way for people to profit from it.

The foot dragging isn't due only to a desire to not cooperate, it takes time to figure out how to cash in when it becomes necessary or legislated.

Edit: syntax

[edit on 10/8/2007 by roadgravel]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

My precise sentiments. It is the old trick of taking it from my left pocket and putting it in my right pocket.......minus their cut of course.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

It's all about making money, it always is....

Disguised as concern for the Earth, and perceived compassion for the less fortunate.

Thats politicians for you. If it wasn't global warming, they'd be playing the same games with something else.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I can remember quite a few legislations which filled the pockets of the powerful,

Recycling and the EPA deal, catalytic converter, R-12 refrigerant, and the required emissions inspections are some that come to mind.

How much money has been made on these deals?

Somehow the environment keeps getting worse.

Who's fleecing who?

Almost forgot that we used to have Mom & Pop fueling stations nationwide,

after the EPA requiring special underground tanking systems, they have for the most part disappeared.

Not because they wanted to, but the fact that the cost of upgrading to these new EPA friendly systems put them in this position.

I am not against keeping things clean and reducing the effects of manmade impacts on the environment.

I am against those who make laws to mandate these policies only after they are in the position to profit from the mandate.

top topics

join