It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US users blocked from torrent sites, but not Europe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Heard it thru the grapevine, but torrent sites aren't allowing US users to log on, or to download. But only US users...

I'm not bringing this up to debate whether or not downloading is right or wrong. (In fact, I'm keeping that opinion to myself.
)

But I am curious: what are the differences in the privacy laws?

From torrentspy:

Torrentspy Acts to Protect Privacy

Sorry, but because you are located in the USA you cannot use the search features of the Torrentspy.com website.Torrentspy's decision to stop accepting US visitors was NOT compelled by any Court but rather an uncertain legal climate in the US regarding user privacy and an apparent tension between US and European Union privacy laws.

From ISOHunt:

As of earlier today, we have disabled access from users in the US to our trackers, until further notice. This goes for ALL trackers (torrentbox, podtropolis) we run. This is due to the US's hostility towards P2P technologies, and we feel with our current lawsuit brought by the MPAA, we can no longer ensure your security and privacy in the US. So, if you're outside the US, you may notice less peers.

The original argument was that move-makers were losing money because people were downloading instead of purchasing. However, it seems to me that this move only gets them US dollars -- but they're not pushing for their lost euros? Or is that the next step?

Any thoughts or knowledge?

P.S. Sorry if this topic was brought up elsewhere. As always, do what ye will oh Mods!

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Well, Pirate Bay should work for everybody, right? Click Language to select english.

[edit on 27-9-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Same grapevine told me to be wary of piratebay... guess they got shut down a few times, and then suddenly re-opened with no problems. The theory was that PB was taken over, used as a spy system to id downloaders...

Don't know one way or the other, but the whole situation tweaks me out.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Diseria

Well, entrapment is illegal in Sweden where its located.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
hmmm

Im seeding "here to andromeda" well worth watching for everyone on here, did wonder where everyone had gone,

David Sereda is so enthusiastic about working anti gravity out i think if more peopl watch this 4 50min episodes we will get there a lot sooner(if we havent already)

so i feel im just doing my lil bit and helping people watch this,sorry david i know it wont be making you any money,but im sure you would trade a few pennies for the inspiration for one of the biggest discoveries in mankind.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Its the start of a schism in Western culture.

Its discriminatory against American citizens.

What the hell have Americans done to deserve this.

NOTHING?

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about PirateBay, they're the only torrent tracker site that's actually fighting back the constant assault from US law firms and media associations that have hit various trackers worldwide. Basically all the other sites, including TorrentSpy have been harassed by the media companies' legal arm.

Torrent troubles around the world
Late last month, TorrentSpy started blocking US users from not just the trackers but from the search feature as well. The decision was made after a federal judge ordered TorrentSpy to keep logs of all users connecting to the server. In order to safeguard US users from that judicial decision and from lawsuits brought on by the MPAA, TorrentSpy simply blocked all US users, rendering the decision moot.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

You've all (US users) been blocked for your own good.

[edit on 27-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Private trackers are all working. Safer, faster, and higher quality as well.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
torrentspy has been like this for a few weeks I used isohunt yesterday but I guess its shut now..... Demonoid is shut down, this is sad

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Your all naughty naughty people - downloading left right and centre.

You won't find any music vids or apps on my laptop hard drive (not since my neice got her grubby littles on it while it was out of the lap and in a caddy - Grrrrr
gigs of files go bam bam!)

Oh well, easy come

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Luckily in Europe we dont allow extortion so the copyright mafia cannot sure people left right and centre.

In the US, people are being blocked because by US law, those sites have to hand over all logs to the **AAs so they can extort people.

The Pirate bay is fine as file sharing is legal in Sweden.

Demonoid is not shut down, apparently they have had to move servers out of Canada, they will be back.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by aye aye

Proxy servers don't work with torrent protocols. VPNs (Virtual Private Networking) do.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by aspectwarrior

What the "Americans" did to deserve this...?

hmmm, perhaps anger the copyright owners by downloading 'illegal' copies of copywritten material for the past 7 years. The reason the US access is shut down is because we can't stop our addiction to illegal photoshop or 50cent mp3s...

Culturally we are shown how 'cool' Johnny Depp is while being a 'Pirate', but we get sued by filthy rich corporations if we 'pirate' their intellectual property. The whole thing stinks...

DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

No, file sharing is not legal in sweden. There has actually been a couple of people prosecuted and convicted for sharing.

Also, the police did a raid against pirate bay some time ago and shut it down, but since the only thing they found was servers (surprise..not), they got pretty fried for that, since they obviously didnt even know what they were looking after.

So, as a couple of times before, tpb is up and running as usual.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:33 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I suggest you look up the law, file sharing is legal in just about every single country.

Now sharing copyrighted material might not be though.

The police raid was illegal and only done with pressure from the US, the fact that they were up in 2 days proves everything they do is legal.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   
If anyone in the US really wants to access the sites that have been blocked, get yourself Tor and Privoxy...

Using Tor, you can specify an exit node, that is you can basically choose the IP address by which a server you are connecting to identifies you at...You can choose a node outside the US, and any server you connect to, including torrent sites will be none the wiser...

I'm not going to go into the nuts and bolts of exactly how to use it and set it up. I'm all for people learning stuff on their own where possible. Put it this way, iin Windoze, this is not difficult software to setup and having working within minutes. If you want to badly enough, you'll work it out

Just google Tor and that will get you well on your way...

Peace

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I think its very entertaining to read all these numbers they publish about how much money they "lose" on people downloading movies. All of those numbers are based on some kind of theory that people would indeed buy those movies if they could not download them, which of course is a very ignorant opinion.

Ive seen hundreds of movies downloaded from the net, and not once have I considered to go buy them in advance. If they werent available on the net, I would just watch TV instead or do something else that doesnt cost money.

So the way they calculate their losses are just silly to me, and very unrealistic, which makes the whole thing very hard to take seriously. I watch movies downloaded from the net that I simply would not watch if they cost money. Simple isnt it? And nobody is losing money because once again, I simply would not watch it if it cost me any money.

[edit on 28-9-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Quite frankly, this is why I've stayed away from downloading anything that is legally challenged from torrents, since the creation of BitTorrent.

If one knows where to look, there are numerous other places on the web which are much safer, and much easier to acquire anything you're looking for.

I won't mention here, but if you're smart and know how to research, I'm sure you'll find it. I'm not saying my methods aren't well known, they just aren't the focus of all the legal drama that the torrent sites are facing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join