It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Backing Off Of Iraq Pullout.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   

www.foxnews.com

HANOVER, N.H. — The leading Democratic White House hopefuls conceded Wednesday night they cannot guarantee to pull all U.S. combat troops from Iraq by the end of the next presidential term in 2013.

"I think it's hard to project four years from now," said Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois in the opening moments of a campaign debate in the nation's first primary state.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-9-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Could we be seeing the Democrats unraveling before our very eyes this early in the election process? It sure looks to me that after all the chest pounding and drum-beating over a swift and full withdrawal, this group is starting to show their true positions? The American people do not want unstable "wishy washy" people running this country. For them to turn 180 degrees on a major policy issue like this so suddenly is quite frankly, amazing!

www.foxnews.com

[edit on 27-9-2007 by carewemust]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
i thought theyt would really make a difference,sad to see them act just as spineless as bush and every other admin. lap boy.... just a sad state we are in...

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I can't even imagine to think what damage another 5 years in Iraq is going to do to the USA. Thousands of more dead soldiers, thousands of maimed soldiers. I was watching the BCC last night and they had piece relating to record high suicides amongst soldiers. I can tell you seeing a handsome young man off 25 maimed, burned and blind in both eyes made me very emotional, he tried to kill himself 10 times if I remember rightly. The piece finished with him walking in circles around a gym feeling his way with his fingers on the wall. How your Government can sleep at night is beyond me. American soldiers are dieing in there thousands and there's no end near to the madness. I was relived when the British pulled out, but I can assure you watching that poor man last night I felt emotions and anger I haven't felt for a long time. He was so helpless, his only is salvation is death. He says he has nightmares, he sees black smoke and smells burnt flesh and hair. I hope by some miracle the Iraq issue can be sorted
because it's rare you see that side of the war and it shocked me like i've never been shocked before. Another five years in Iraq and America will be feeling the pain in decades to come.

[edit on 27uThursday07/27/20 by paul76]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The Dems are weak and cowardly, looking only to further their political career. The Repugs care nothing for people, and only care about making as much money as possible no matter who they harm in the process.

Our politicians are disgusting, but when have politicians ever been trustworthy or helpful to the people.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by KINGOFPAIN
i thought theyt would really make a difference,sad to see them act just as spineless as bush and every other admin. lap boy.... just a sad state we are in...

I wouldn't go so far as to label Bush spineless. Whether his policies are good or bad he still sticks to them. Now labeling the dems spineless makes more sense as this appears to be true now. It's too bad they are melting nearing election season. To be balanced here I also believe Bush has melted already.
But there is still a wiggling spine sticking up from the goo.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by paul76

Paul, in the early days of the Iraq war I was behind it 100%, but as with
you, I've met young beautiful people who have had parts of their bodies
blown off by explosive devices in Iraq. That happened this past Summer
and changed my mind totally about our involvement there. Perhaps
history will find that the USA did the right thing by taking over that country
and installing democracy (eventually). But right now I don't see that the
cost in life and limb is worth it.

For the Democratic front-runners to say last night during their debate
that we may now be there fighting until at least 2013 is very
saddening. I thought the Democratic party campaigned for and won
the US Senate majority in 2006 because of promises to get us out
quickly. Pelosi and her gang buckled under on that pledge/mandate,
and now we're seeing the Democratic presidential front-runners taking
the same path some 13 months before the 2008 election. Maybe they
have all been briefed on something Top-Secret that the general public
isn't privy to? I'd rather think this is the case than to think that each
of them have turned to jello. I have 2 young kids and the world's too
dangerous of a place to have touchy-feely types running this country.
Terrorists would strike us swift and hard.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
There just following the advice of the top club member.

Bush quietly advises democrats.

www.examiner.com...

There is virtually no difference between the parties anymore. Both parties have been overtaken by the same, very powerful, special interest. Both have the same goal.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
2013 huh? Can you say draft? Can you say draft dodger = terrorist?

Peace

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust

www.foxnews.com

HANOVER, N.H. — The leading Democratic White House hopefuls conceded Wednesday night they cannot guarantee to pull all U.S. combat troops from Iraq by the end of the next presidential term in 2013.

"I think it's hard to project four years from now," said Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois in the opening moments of a campaign debate in the nation's first primary state.

"It is very difficult to know what we're going to be inheriting," added Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York.

"I cannot make that commitment," said former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina.

I have said that they would do this a long time ago. Plus, you can lay money down that if the Dem's win the WH, there will be no bill or resolution form congress for a troop withdrawal or time tables,etc.

Roper

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The truth is the Dems are afraid we might be making progress in Iraq and don't want to look bad at the chance of being wrong a year from now.

They will and already are paying the price for playing the anti-bush/war card .

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
2013 huh? Can you say draft? Can you say draft dodger = terrorist?

Peace

There won't be a draft. A draft was voted on once already since the war started, and it got completely annhialated...I forget the voting numbers, but I believe there were only 4 votes FOR the draft.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
Paul, in the early days of the Iraq war I was behind it 100%, but as with
you, I've met young beautiful people who have had parts of their bodies
blown off by explosive devices in Iraq. That happened this past Summer
and changed my mind totally about our involvement there. Perhaps
history will find that the USA did the right thing by taking over that country
and installing democracy (eventually). But right now I don't see that the
cost in life and limb is worth it.

I think you'll just make a 180 degree turn whenever you see any American soldier lost his or her life, or a limb in any war or conflict. Thanks for your honesty though.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

No..not every time DeltaBoy. I was in the military (Navy) and saw many
war injuries. See them now every time I go to the Vet Admin Medical
Center. There's just something different now. Maybe its the look on
the faces of those who have been maimed in this latest Iraq war. Even
though it was authorized by Congress and the United Nations, the purpose
of it seems to be hollow to me now. So yes, I've done a 180 about face
in my opinion. Our men and women shouldn't die or be permanently
disabled just to prevent a potential safe-harbor country for terrorists,
as President Bush has described Iraq. There are many other places
they can (and will) go to plot their attacks.

Seeing the Democratic front-runners unite and change their mind
seemingly overnight about getting us out is like a slap in the face
to Americans who were going to vote for them on that premise.
Does Clinton/Edwards/Obama, etc., honestly think that they can
now get elected when they treat us like stupid sheep? What
arrogance on their part!

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This recent change of stance really sickens me. Even more reason why I am changing my political affiliation back to Independent. The two party system is broken and beyond repair. Odd how we keep blaming the newly formed and spoon fed Iraqi government for not being able to stand on it's own two feet. Well look at us. What a pathetic model.

Recently, I watched Wolf Blitzer of CNN grill Nancy Pelosi, Democratic Speaker of the House. He asked about why she refuses to push the mandate to stop the war which is how they all got into power. She dodged every single question, including impeachment of Bush. Fear in her lying eyes.

It was also recently reported that Bush has "reached across the aisle" to give insight to the Democratic candidates about the war. As someone else pointed out in another thread, perhaps they got the big warning. Like JFK, or Paul Wellstone. Just makes you wonder.

At least I still hold out hope for a "Fringe Candidate" like Kucinich or Ron Paul.

regards...kk

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
psperos: Stop trolling please, we're not on the Sean Hannity forum, there's no such thing as ``difference between parties``.

If a democrat or a follower of Bush is elected, America will be in Iraq for at least 30 years. That was the plan, it's still is.

If you want to get out someday, elect either Ron Paul, Mike Gravel or Kucinich. The one who's the most supported is Ron Paul, and he's the only one who can beat Hillary. Ron Paul will also revoke the patriot act and all presidentials powers invoked by Bush since 9/11. He'll also close the southern border and stop the North American Union and put back the US currency on gold or any commodity to support it.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
To me, it seems that these Dems are actually finally confronting the possibility that one of them might actually win and have to govern responsibly. Pulling out of Iraq precipitously would be a disaster for the U.S. long term.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Pulling out of Iraq precipitously would be a disaster for the U.S. long term.

Kindly explain why?

We have been told time and time again that is war is "un-winnable" from a military standpoint.

The beginning of wisdom is to recognize that the ongoing war in Iraq is not one that the United States can win. As a result of its initial miscalculations, misdirected planning, and inadequate preparation, Washington has lost the Iraqi people's confidence and consent, and it is unlikely to win them back. Source: www.foreignaffairs.org...

Henry Kissinger says the Iraq war is unwinnable:

LONDON -- Military victory is no longer possible in Iraq, former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger said in a television interview broadcast Sunday.

Kissinger presented a bleak vision of Iraq, saying the U.S. government must enter into dialogue with Iraq's regional neighbors _ including Iran _ if progress is to be made in the region. Source: scatablog.blogspot.com...

A belief that Iraq is unwinnable, fears that Afghanistan could go the same way and an overwhelming feeling that the government has not looked after the Armed Forces properly in return for the sacrifices they make. That is what emerges from the answers given by hundreds of servicemen and women in response to the online questionnaire we posted here a few weeks ago. We received nearly 2,000 replies to a set of questions about life in the forces. Source: news.bbc.co.uk...

Could you please state your reasoning on why we should remain there?

regards..kk

[edit on 28-9-2007 by kinda kurious]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
psperos: Stop trolling please, we're not on the Sean Hannity forum, there's no such thing as ``difference between parties``

How am i trolling? And what the hell are you talking about? It's my opinion that the dems are afraid the US might make progress in the war and are afraid of destroying their image, so they are covering now. I can't have this opinion?

They know they wount get support for leaving the region as long as the military shows progress. This is big shift to try and draw the focus off the war in 2008 because it's too much of a gamble. They looked like complete idiots in june/july by trying to push for it then.

I think no matter what, we will be there for 30 years down the road. This is going to be a long term thing.

The only thing we will see is a reduction in troops, and a reduction in roles in the country. We will always be there though.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
It was also recently reported that Bush has "reached across the aisle" to give insight to the Democratic candidates about the war. As someone else pointed out in another thread, perhaps they got the big warning. Like JFK, or Paul Wellstone. Just makes you wonder.

I seems to me that there is more going on here than just the ebb and flow of the political parties. I don't think the Democrats are backing off on a pullout from Iraq just because President Bush is strong politically or because his arguments are convincing.

I think there is a whole lot going on with this Israel/Syria/North Korea/Iran thing that the general public doesn't know about. There are various reports of nuclear material and/or missle parts moving from North Korea to Syria/Iran. If this is true, and I don't know if it is, the whole situation would change radically.

President Bush may indeed have given the Democrats the "big warning." Rather than some kind of threat he may have just let them in on the latest developments. I think that recent events are driving the changes in their actions - not just the politics.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join