It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok I've heard it all now...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
So they think the meterorite illness is 'mass hysteria'
news.yahoo.com...

Thats scientific..too bad they have even less proof for that than UFO's is'nt iit..utterly ridiculous...

Probably the same mass hysteria responsible for the 911 illness's too huh

[edit on 27-9-2007 by wildone106]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Im tired of our officials thinking we will swallow everything they throw down our gullets...

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
It shows how desperate they are. The sad thing is if I bring it up in the break room, half the people will tell me that's what happened

not only half the break room, but the guy below me(next post) also. sigh...

and the one below him. The inhumanity of it all, the inhumanity!!!!

[edit on 27-9-2007 by Redge777]

[edit on 27-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
In that part of the world, "mass hysteria" is not uncommon. You could show up with a magic Coke bottle, tell them it could make them sick, and soon you would have dozens claiming they were sick, and other attributing common, normal illnesses to the coke bottle as well. This is an extreme example, but it does illustrate the point.

Besides, didn't ground tests there indicate it was arsenic poisoning?

Check here

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
But, Redge777, Mass hysteria is an acknowledged fact. Its a known thing.
Youre talking about illiterate peasant people here too.

Im afraid I would rather believe the scientists who actually went there and tested the place and who have a lot more credibility and actual knowledge about the phenomena than Mr Wildone106

[edit on 27/9/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Eh, right... mass hysteria.

I think Prison Planets explaination seems much more likely, but that would be too sensitive for the mainstream media I guess.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
You could show up with a magic Coke bottle, tell them it could make them sick, and soon you would have dozens claiming they were sick, and other attributing common, normal illnesses to the coke bottle as well. This is an extreme example, but it does illustrate the point.

Odd that you used that example. Its not so extreme.

Coca Cola and Belgium are both players in a really good example of mass hysteria. I submit this for your enjoyment.

Edit to add: Editing your post in order to comment on posts that appear after yours is bad form.

[edit on 27-9-2007 by MrPenny]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton

I'm sure there's many amazing things that these "peasants" could teach you, despite their apparent social/financial handicap (if that is even the case here).

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Comatose

Yes they probably could........if I wanted to make baskets or somesuch.
But the fact is they ARE illiterate peasants, and that isnt meant to be demeaning it is simply a statement of fact.
They know little about meteors or suchlike and like it or not the scientists are probably correct

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
That was a nice little snipe at me! And we all know your knowledge is insurmountable from Astronomy to Particle Physics too since you always have an answer to everything, but its too bad no one really cares what you say either!

Mass hysteria or swamp gas? You believe the party line if you want and join the Above Top Skeptics forum then..oh wait..thats what this site has become

Originally posted by Chorlton
But, Redge777, Mass hysteria is an acknowledged fact. Its a known thing.

Im afraid I would rather believe the scientists who actually went there and tested the place and who have a lot more credibility and actual knowledge about the phenomena than Mr Wildone106

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Interesting read. Thanks for posting the link. Radiation sickness might aco# for what has been described and our government certainly doesn't want news that their spy satelites could fall on our heads getting out. Maybe they are shuttling Peru some funds in exchange for a cover up.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Well it WAS a meteorite as samples were taken
Heres National Geographic's report on it, which I would believe

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildone106
Mass hysteria or swamp gas? You believe the party line if you want and join the Above Top Skeptics forum then..

Now I'm just assuming that you haven't been down to Peru and conducted any investigations of your own on this subject so just what makes you so sure that this is not a case of mass hysteria? As others have said it is an acknowledged and powerful effect and certainly could fit this scenario.

The point is that you are believing the party line in just the same way as Chorlton is, the only difference is that you belong to a different party.

That doesn't make either of you wrong, or right, but if you actually want to deny ignorance rather than just deny any answers which don't happen fit your own hypothesis you may have to be a little more open minded.

Being a member of a conspiracy forum doesn't make it compulsory to subscribe to every conspiracy theory or to assume that every Government pronouncement is a deception.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by timeless test

When I make any decision on anything I first try and check as many facts as I can and look at the evidence. Failing that Occams Razor takes over.

Whilst scientists arent always right I would believe them over someone without any empirical or local evidence.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Chorlton

...and I'm very glad to hear that.

When you abandon the requirement for evidence you cross the line between investigation and speculation.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
id like to just throw in that Occam's Razor is perhaps one of the most misused techniques. It is not to be applied to conspiracy theories or etc.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
And I bet people will believe this, too. I think if the government were to come out and say "there is no universe", people would believe it.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Chorlton

Your response shows your limitations, you believe because they don't know what you do, they don't know anything. But the peasants have a wealth of knowledge, some might be lessons in how we think of others, lessons in humility, lessons in compassion, lessons in dignity, lessons in courage. They may not be book smart, but there smarts came from experience, not a book they were told to read by a organized group with an agenda.

And being that you are so scientific and logical please tell me one case where occam's razor is applied correctly. Note, and I am sure as a learned individual you know this, it says "all things being equal", in the definition. In your world of science you don't get to ever use occam's razor because things that are equal are the same and their is no difference to decide over.

You see occam's razor uses accepted levels of generalities, something speculation also does, and subjective evidence uses. I really wish I considered myself a peasant, then I would be proving you wrong again as I teach you this new thing.

[edit on 29-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wildone106

Well I agree. Govt guys are either too stupid or just want to avoid responsibility of looking after the public they rule over.

From the national geo article :
"By Wednesday, according to Macedo, all 30 residents who felt ill reported feeling better."

All 30..hmmm..thats not exactly a MASS hysteria.

Its common for people to fall ill after natural or industrial calamities, things mess up and people get affected.

new topics

top topics

join