It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy barrack shape to change after revealed swastika resemblance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Navy barrack shape to change after revealed swastika resemblance

www.nctimes.com

The U.S. Navy will spend as much as $600,000 to modify the appearance of a barracks complex that resembles a swastika from the air, officials said.

.....aerial photos made available on Google Earth in recent years revealed the buildings' shape to a wide audience of computer users.

Online commentators remarked widely about the buildings' resemblance to the symbol used by the Nazis.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Nazi Shaped Structure on US navy Base!!!!!!

[edit on 27-9-2007 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This building and its shape have been discussed widely on ATS in the past couple of years.

That's why I thought it would be a good story to post as news.

Apparently, the design was known to resemble a swastika shortly after ground was broken for the building in 1967, but since you couldn't tell from the ground, construction went ahead anyway.

Google Earth and other aerial viewing programs changed all that.

Hail the power of internet forums to effect change! Now if such credibility would just spread to more pressing sacial issues.....

www.nctimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
They were talking about this on Today and Matt Lauer laughs and made a comment about how odd it was that nobody noticed this after flying over it.

I wonder who designed the building and who approved the designs. How it came to pass is a mystery to me. Did someone, somewhere go "gee, that shape looks familiar. I wonder what it is?"

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Already posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But hey, don't sweat it, I had a thread on it closed too.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
My bad. I did a cursory search of BAN and didn't see the story. I knew there were past threads on the subject, though, and wanted to bring the angle of internet forums effecting change .

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
HA! What a waste of money!

Poorly prepared, swiftly executed, obviously stuffed up.

Go America
the land of the "oops, should have done that BEFORE building"

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
My bad. I did a cursory search of BAN and didn't see the story. I knew there were past threads on the subject, though, and wanted to bring the angle of internet forums effecting change .

Yeah, I posted it yesterday and it was closed as there was a BTS thread about it, which subsequently got moved to ATS. Who knows how things work around here?

This story could well be a testament to the power of Digg, and other site which have reported the story. I wonder if this is the start of a new trend. Maybe even a new type of democracy.

Nah, that's far too Utopian.

Does $600000 seem like a hell of a lot of money to anyone else for this job? I wonder how exactly they plan on masking that shape.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I have no doubt it was intentional. You do draw overhead views when designing anything that you're going to build. It seems quite unlikely to me that it just happened by accident.

I think it was a pretty sick "joke" (if you will), on their part.

Although, also, I do think it's sad that the swastika symbol has been so screwed up from its original meaning, and everybody now has a sensitive view of it.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Yeah, watched that too.

It's funny how we react to meaningless crap like this when we have real freakin' nazis running us right now.

The shape of the swastika lends itself to being perfect for a barrack or dorm. It's a very efficient shape. Sorry, but it is.

Peace

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Political Correctness gone to extremes. Who cares? This is like finding an image of the Virgin Mary on a piece of toast for sale on E-Bay.

Although I realize it was used as a symbol for the Nazi regime, it's design and meaning predates that by thousands of years and is still used by many cultures.

The swastika (from Sanskrit svástika स्वास्तिक ) is an equilateral cross with its arms bent at right angles, in either right-facing (卐) or left-facing (卍) forms. The term is derived from Sanskrit svasti, meaning well-being. The Thai greeting sawasdee is from the same root and carries the same implication.

Archaeological evidence of swastika-shaped ornaments dates from the Neolithic period. It has long been widely-used in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. Hindus often decorate the swastika with a dot in each quadrant. In India, it is common enough to be a part of several Devanagari fonts. It is also a symbol in the modern Unicode and is often imprinted on religious texts, marriage invitations, and decorations. It is used to mark religious flags in Jainism and Buddhist temples in Asia.

In 1920, the right-facing swastika was appropriated as a Nazi symbol, and since then has become a controversial motif. In the Western world, this usage is the most familiar.

The symbol occurs in other Asian, European, African and Native American cultures – sometimes as a geometrical motif and sometimes as a religious symbol. Source: en.wikipedia.org...

Altering this building is not worth the expense. It is a functional design.

Just my opinion. regards...kk

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Implosion

I wonder how exactly they plan on masking that shape.

According to the article I linked,

The Navy approved the spending for changes to the four L-shaped buildings' walkways, landscaping and rooftop solar panels

I don't know if cosmetic changes like that come to 600k, but I do know about military spending.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Ongoing news discussion...

Here:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join