It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arab states named as more corrupt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Arab states named as more corrupt

news.bbc.co.uk

An anti-corruption group says three Arab states are among a dozen worldwide where corruption has seen a significant increase in the past year.
The Arab nations named by Transparency International were Jordan and the Gulf states of Bahrain and Oman.

The Arab countries with the least perceived corruption were Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

Places with a history of civil conflict - such as Burma, Iraq and Somalia - were rated the worst for corruption.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.transparency.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
3801 - The Governments Corruption

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The ranking comes from surveys based on doing business in the countries. The group has a list of one hundred eighty countries all ranked as to the levels of corruption. Follow the addition link and it will take you to the web page where all the countries are ranked. You can check as see what your ranking is.
I will start, the U.S. ranked a 7.2 out of a possible ten.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

The ranking comes from surveys based on doing business in the countries. The group has a list of one hundred eighty countries all ranked as to the levels of corruption. Follow the addition link and it will take you to the web page where all the countries are ranked. You can check as see what your ranking is.
I will start, the U.S. ranked a 7.2 out of a possible ten.

news.bbc.co.uk

Is this article refering to the state goverment coruption as a state governing institution that is corupt or as coruption amoung civilians, such as street bribes, corupted doctors, cops, and other public institutions

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

Pepsi,
From reading the article it says the cost of doing business. I take that to mean the whole gambit. Although in my opinion I think paying off the government officials might make up the bulk of the cost.
And thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Although in my opinion I think paying off the government officials might make up the bulk of the cost.
And thanks for posting.

That is not really related to goverment coruption.
A corupt goverment would make specific deals, for examle selling state property with out any legal bounds, or selling state owned asets, messing around with the buget and then covering it up, rather than taking bribes from the people.
State coruption is very diferent from your regular corpupted folks, if it's coruption coming from the govermet at high level then it's something to worry about, if it's the other way around it means simply that they do not have a very good sistem put in place, and the laws that are , are not very efficent ,and they would have to work on that.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

Pepsi,
that sounds like you have it pretty well grasped. The people that produce this list have been doing it for several years so a trend can be seen. I however don't know if it is making any difference to the corruption that is going on.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It's a meta-analysis (poll of polls) of perceived corruption throughout the world. The entire methodologies and data of the CPI in detail were actually included on CD that came with a research methods textbook from a class I took years ago for use in a data classification/sorting exercise. The FAQ says fairly simply that they define corruption as "abuse of public office for private gain", just keep in mind that it studies the perception, so it's not entirely solid, because corruption in and of itself is impossible to quantify.

That said, it's not surprising, a simple look at the rampant nepotism practiced in the region and their archaic hereditary governments is enough to allow anyone to "perceive" the funny business going on.

new topics

top topics

join