It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychological Mind Control in Religion

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   
This thread is to explore one aspect of "conspiracies in religion" that hasnt been sufficiently dealt with in the many other anti-religious threads. In fact I think most people arent even aware of it.

I will begin with only a few examples from Christianity and then, should this thread get any responses, expand to other examples and other religions.

Some of the concepts presented in the christian religion can become a psychological trap from which people never again emerge within their lifetime. Three examples that point towards manipulative intent:

1. "The Angels of Darkness will pose as angels of light"

This phrase, voiced by many christians and presented in the Bible in many variations can cause endless strife, struggle and fight for many centuries.
It can easily be interpreted as to make the believer suspicious of anything and everything that looks good, or looks like "the light". Founded upon this statement you can attack non-christians, other religions and other christian-sects. "Those catholics pose as the light, but they are not. We are the real christians". "Those freemasons pose as the light, but they are not". "Those muslims pose as the light, but they are not". This single statement can cause confusion, uncertainty and paranoia for lifetime.

2. Thou shalt not kill, etc.

A large number of statements from the bible and derivations thereof voiced by christians focus the mind on what it should not do, rather than what it should do. Any psychological kindergarden textbook can tell you that there is a huge difference between the statements "You should not kill" and "You should let live".

When a parent tells his child "You mustnt drink alcohol!!!" the first thing the child will think about is drinking alcohol. Rebellious by nature, the more often the child hears that, the more certain it becomes that he will one day indeed drink alcohol. The parent should have said "Drink juice. Drink water. Thats good for you."

The Bible and its followers have a lot of this focus-on-the-negative instead of the positive in their teachings.

3. How to get someone to agree with something disagreeable

Another technique employed by the bible and derivative christian teachings is to introduce several good, workable, loving concepts in which the more questionable, foul concepts can hide. In other words, you get someone to say "yes, yes, yes" and "thats right" and "thats true" long enough and soon you will be able to introduce other stuff he wouldnt have said "yes" to had they been introduced from the beginning. His enthusiasm with the good stuff makes his rational capacity turn off so that any type of junk can now sink in. This is equivalent to "taking the baby with the dirty bathwater". In a mindful state a person would simply take the good stuff and reject the bad stuff. But christianity teaches that ALL of the Bible is Gods word.

So, lets say a skeptic visists a christian church and is love-bombed by its members. The preacher delivers a fantastic sermon to soften the skeptic up even more. The skeptic is converted and subscribes to the teachings. His initial feeling of enthusiasm will filter out bible-phrases which, for example, advocate violence. Or he will try to rationalize them: "Yeah, well....thats not the way God MEANT this phrase to be read."

Some responders to this thread will say that I am only "bashing religion". But the true aim here is to point out psychological traps and real dangers connected to buying into certain systems of thinking.

These offer explanations as to why something which was intended as something good (spiritual orientation, sustenance, integrity, compassion) has caused so much bad.

The suggestion to religious people is not to abandon or denounce religion, but to develop a discerning mind that can differentiate between the good stuff and the bad stuff.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I agree with this thread, look at the way that the Catholic church, amongst others, uses guilt to control people when the are 'away' from church. You are supposed to e thinking about all of the things that you have done wrong until you can get back there and give confession.

The same church also teaches that the only way you can commune with God is through the organisation and trappings of the Catholic church. No point in just following the word of God, oh no, you had better come back each week and listen to what we say God wants you to do.

I am not here to bash Catholics but I just see their branch of Christianty to have been particularly strong with the 'means of control'

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Particularly I find disturbing the commonly accepted (NON-biblical) theology that PEACEMAKERS are evil. Or, more specifically, that the so-called 'anti-christ' will be a peacemaker.

Ben Franklin said:
There's never been a good war or a bad peace.

I tend to agree.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I hear alot of things I consider false teachings from preachers. I am Christian but not very supportive of the ones that get the attention. I can't believe how many times I have support Bush, so against everything I know.

oh, also, I believe there is one big church that spikes its communion. A little something to make the congregation a bit more suggestable. By spike I don't mean alchol, I am thinking herbal.

[edit on 27-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
yes, catholisism is an interesting variation on christianity in that it thrives on the shame-blame-game.

Supressing feelings such as sexuality eventually leads to the opposite...sexual perversion such as pedophilia. Hence the common reports of the priest who was pedophile.

But I wouldnt count catholisism as the worst variation of christianity because they at least practice some tolerance toward non-believers and dont go around trying to convert everyone.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
Particularly I find disturbing the commonly accepted (NON-biblical) theology that PEACEMAKERS are evil. Or, more specifically, that the so-called 'anti-christ' will be a peacemaker.

Id like to expand on this point. Another moment I realized there is something amiss with christianity, especially the evangelical type, was when I was talking to a christian and he told me that the "peace" symbol is a satanic symbol. He explained to me how the Lord is the Lord of Wrath and Vengeance, not the Lord of Peace. After a bit more conversation he started getting things mixed up by saying that the peace movement is a communist movement and communism is satanic. I understand where he is coming from, but this is the typical kind of non-discernment you get from christians. Because I favour peace does not mean I favour non-diversity or hate capitalism. I favour peace AND diversity, peace AND prosperity. I am sorry to see how psychological manipulation gets people like this all mixed up and worried.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Redge777

well, you are obviously a christian that has a sense of discernment. a very valuable trait in this war of beliefs we live in today.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Without wishing to pre-empt any examples you wish to make later, Skyfloating, the cruellest method of religious mind control that I have seen is the practice of disfellowshipping members of a church after they have committed, and are unrepentant of committing, a serious wrongdoing. Not only are they shunned by their former congregational ‘brothers and sisters’, but if they have grown up in the faith, they must also endure a similar (no doubt doubly hard-hitting) rejection from within their own families.

Some may consider this fair; if one joins a church and agrees to abide by its interpretation of God’s word, they must accept the consequences of breaking such principles.

But most religions appear to use the fear of being cast out to keep their flock in line.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
fear-based programming is indeed a form of mind-control and indeed practiced by cults and cultists. Good point. The fear of no longer being part of the group, no longer having an orientation, no longer belonging....wow...what a mind-trip.

But we can differentiate between regular christianity that simply believes in a supreme being and to lead a good life of upright integrity and compassion...and the cultish derivatives thereof. It is cultish christianity that is not only mind-controlled but also imposing mind-control on others...unfortunately based on biblical concepts. So imo the good christians are not good because of the bible but in spite of it.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Scribleriad

This is my view although I am sure many churches and people think differently.

My belief on this is that excommunication was to protect those weak in faith that might be deceived. Personally I know Jesus Christ will never abandon us, as we should not abandon others.

Now if hanging out with someone doing things you think you should not do gets you in trouble, its common sense that you should not hang out with them. But that is your own issue not theirs. Trust in the Lord and have faith, is not an excommunicated person just another lost sheep?

We also should follow Jesus, the church is just a place for fellow followers to meet.

Mark 13:22
for false Christs and false prophets will arise, and will show signs and wonders, in order to lead astray, if possible, the elect.

[edit on 29-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redge777

Mark 13:22
for false Christs and false prophets will arise, and will show signs and wonders, in order to lead astray, if possible, the elect.

[edit on 29-9-2007 by Redge777]

I know you had other intentions when quoting that, but that quote shows the psychological manipulation provided by the bible. The vague and unspecific reference to false christs will set up many centuries of war and struggle against perceived false christs.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I know you had other intentions when quoting that, but that quote shows the psychological manipulation provided by the bible. The vague and unspecific reference to false christs will set up many centuries of war and struggle against perceived false christs.

Or it shows the truth and gives us a warning not to follow false Christs. For instance when they tell us to go to war. The bible is clear, love thy neighbor, you would have to break that to go to war, even against a false Christ.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
to be truly free the bible says severel things,

fight powers and principalities, but not each other, meaning the peoples of the earth, no matter what religion, are to get along, because its the leaders from all nations sucking on your guts.

Do not follow false christs.

Forgive each other.

Christians are brainwashed by their churches, I know one, who's impossible to talk to when it comes to changing his mind. He srinks from the conversation. Like theres a block. then excuse after excuse pours out.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mastermind77

You have to identify his defence mechanism, he may be unable to accept it for ego, guilt or fear. Many take the blue pill

Remember,
MORPHEUS
There is a rule that we do not
free a mind once it reaches a
certain age. It is dangerous.
They have trouble letting go..
Their mind turns against them.
I've seen it happen.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Because I favour peace does not mean I favour non-diversity or hate capitalism. I favour peace AND diversity, peace AND prosperity. I am sorry to see how psychological manipulation gets people like this all mixed up and worried.

I believe, and hope, that all of us favor peace and prosperity and God promises that one day we will have that peace. However, some of us approach the talk of peace in a very cautious manner as end times approach.

1 Thessalonians 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

3.For when they shall say, "Peace and safety;" then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

4.But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.

5.Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

We are also warned in the Old Testament:

Daniel 11:21 And in his estate shall stand up a vile person, to whom they shall not give the honour of the kingdom: but he shall come in peaceably, and obtain the kingdom by flatteries.

22.And with the arms of a flood shall they be overflown from before him, and shall be broken; yea, also the prince of the covenant.

23.And after the league made with him he shall work deceitfully: for he shall come up and shall become strong with a small people.

Vile person is one of the 12 titles given to the anti-christ. So....it seems that the end will be heralded in with the vile person spreading peace and prosperity. This is in agreement with the knowledge of the anti-christ coming to earth disguised as Christ. What better way to trick us then to be peaceful?

...........Whirlwind

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

yes, catholisism is an interesting variation on christianity in that it thrives on the shame-blame-game.

LOL - interesting variation? Catholicism came first - everything else in Christianity is a variation of it.

Anyway - I am a Catholic and I do not see the shame-blame game at all. Then again, I have come to learn that those who have a suppoossed problem with Catholicism simply don't know it at all, whether you were raised Catholic or not.

Quite frankly I disagree with most of the premise of this thread. But I'm just one little Catholic who doesn't buy into all the fear against it.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless

LOL - interesting variation? Catholicism came first - everything else in Christianity is a variation of it.

Catholisism did not come first, it was invented by the Romans after Christ.

Anyway - I am a Catholic and I do not see the shame-blame game at all. Then again, I have come to learn that those who have a suppoossed problem with Catholicism simply don't know it at all, whether you were raised Catholic or not.

I have some catholic friends, but what they all have in common is that they were raised catholic from the beginning, i.e. never had a choice in the matter. So as the age they simply stick to what they are used to. While I prefer spending time with catholics to spending time with fundamentalist evangelical christians who see evil everywhere they look, I am afraid the latter are closer to what the bible teaches than catholics. In fact, the building of pompus churches and assigning a pope are not biblical teachings.

Quite frankly I disagree with most of the premise of this thread. But I'm just one little Catholic who doesn't buy into all the fear against it.

Of course a christian would disagree with this thread. And up to now they havent countered any of the points made in the opening statement. I wonder why that is?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by whirlwind

You open your statement hoping for peace and then continue to explain why we should doubt those who focus on peace. This is exactly the type of manipulation this thread is talking about.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   
So what you are basically saying is "Peace is ok, but only the type of peace we preach. Be doubtful of others preaching peace." Thats the message for a few more centuries of war.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   

reply to post by whirlwind

You open your statement hoping for peace and then continue to explain why we should doubt those who focus on peace. This is exactly the type of manipulation this thread is talking about.

So what you are basically saying is "Peace is ok, but only the type of peace we preach. Be doubtful of others preaching peace." Thats the message for a few more centuries of war.

No, that isn't what I am saying. We should all live our lives in a peaceful manner and strive for peace between nations, if possible.....it will not always be possible.

Matthew 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

Mark 13:37 And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.

Revelation 3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt now know what hour I will come upon thee.

The warning Christ gives is to be aware that the anti-christ comes to earth in the guise of Jesus. He will bring in a "false peace".....that is the one we must watch for. The true Christ comes after him.

Revelation 14:9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,

That verse is telling us we can't fall for Satan's tricks. Don't believe the false peace or the one who brings it. Wait for the true Christ.

...........Whirlwind

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join