It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voice of Americas Interview with Mrs Laura Bush on Burma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Voice of Americas Interview with Mrs Laura Bush on Burma

www.wtopnews.com

NEW YORK (AP) - First lady Laura Bush pleaded Wednesday with Myanmar's ruling military regime to resist using force against protesters, but her personal appeal came the same day that security officers opened fire on demonstrators and arrested Buddhist monks.

"I want to say to the armed guards and to the soldiers: Don't fire on your people. Don't fire on your neighbors," she said in a Voice of America interview held in New York where President Bush was attending meetings at the United Nations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blog.nationmultimedia.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Burma & Shan State Watch List

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
A transcript of the interview in full can be read in the additional newslink
blog.nationmultimedia.com...

What she's saying is what any decent hearted person would say with emphasis on the soft issues, peaceful protest, especially Aung San Suu Kyi, whom she is a great fan of.

She does seem very well informed, far better than the average American, I think, who might never before have heard of Myanmar and only have vague ideas about Burma.

In the name of education I welcome an interview like this, and the cause of Burma will most certainly get a manyfold stronger support in the United States because of the interview.

Let's give an applause to Laura.

www.wtopnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I would have liked to have seen Laura Bush run or a least put her name into the hat of public opinion on where she would stand in the polls as a potential Presidential candidate.

Just seems to me she's full of potential and smarts.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:59 AM
link   
This cant be a Bush family member? I was fully expecting her to say something like "you must make people show unconditional respect for authority" or something like that.

Maybe she is blind to what happens in the US, but have a easier time recognizing it in other countries?

[edit on 27-9-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Maybe she is blind to what happens in the US, but have a easier time recognizing it in other countries?

Funny you should say so. I couldn't help but read this passage replacing Burma with United States. Try read it that way.

MRS. BUSH: I do, I'm very concerned. I pray for the people of Burma. I'm
awed by their courage. These last protests that have been peaceful, as we
know the people of Burma are -- the people of Burma are peaceful people, we know that. We know that the democracy champions there want a peaceful reconciliation, a way to work with the ruling generals to build the democracy they want, to build their economy again.

Burma was known for being a very wealthy country, rich in natural
resources. And now the economy is in shambles after so many years of this military rule.

new topics

top topics

join