It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security Department training video shows hacker hit on US power grid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Homeland Security Department training video shows hacker hit on US power grid

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - A government video shows the potential destruction caused by hackers seizing control of a crucial part of the U.S. electrical grid: an industrial turbine spinning wildly out of control until it becomes a smoking hulk and power shuts down.

The video, produced for the Homeland Security Department and obtained by The Associated Press on Wednesday, was marked "Official Use Only." It shows commands quietly triggered by simulated hackers having such a violent reaction that the...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Cyberwarfare is the next phase. china has already shown an increasing agressive posture and no doubt is probing US systems day and night looking for weaknesses to exploit. I would expect any future war would have a whole cyber attack component to it. Not only can you paralyze an economy, the chaos you could cause could effect a countries ability to wage war far away. With the US military so tied to its sensor platforms, GPS, etc, it would be very difficult to persecuit a war in that environment.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
What are they gonna do if They ban a Chinese IP they willg host as a Usa any decent hacker can do this.

Its not very hard I know how to spoof IP and locations.

Example www.whatismyip.com

Will be where ever I say I am and my IP I choose.

Not a proxy. www.whatismyip.com will list the true address.and see you behind weak a proxy.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by infamouskiller]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
How hard would it be for a terrorist to watch this video.Now they have exact targets and were told there is no way to take these targets off the shared internet.Sigh

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by infamouskiller

Proxies are the old way of doing things. Botnets are what kids are using these days.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Odd. I just watched Diehard 4.0 (Live Free, Die Hard) last night, and thats part of the main plot of the story. Fire-sale and all.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Flagged!

I work for at my local Electrical Generation Facility and we recently had a Controls upgrade... After this upgrade was made, a new program was installed that allowed remote viewing of the plant operation (for management purposes of course).

I'm no computer guru, but I do know a bit about computers... and I didn't like the idea of our main controls being broadcast over the internet, knowing that someone with skill could overtake the connection and cause havoc in short order.

I brought this to managements attention about 8 months ago, for concern of the plant's well being, and I was laughed at by the Network Administrator. He said it couldn't be done... and management believed it.

DHS (regardless of what I think of them) thinking this is a significant concern should hopefully open their eyes.

This possibility is a very big deal due to the reality of the stakes.

new topics

top topics

join