It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA: Iraq is on the verge of a Civil War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Iraq may be on path to civil war, CIA officials warn

By Warren P. Strobel and Jonathan S. Landay
Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON � CIA officers in Iraq are warning that the country may be on a path to civil war, current and former U.S. officials said yesterday, starkly contradicting the upbeat assessment President Bush gave in his State of the Union address.

The CIA officers' bleak assessment was delivered orally to Washington this week, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the classified information involved.

The warning echoed growing fears that Iraq's Shiite majority, which until now has accepted the U.S. occupation grudgingly, could turn to violence if its demands for direct elections are spurned.

Meanwhile, Iraq's Kurdish minority is pressing for autonomy and shares of oil revenue.

"Both the Shiites and the Kurds think that now's their time," one intelligence officer said. "They think that if they don't get what they want now, they'll probably never get it. Both of them feel they've been betrayed by the United States before."

----------------------------------

It would be really interesting to poll Iraqis and ask them if they would want to have Saddam back in power? I think we'd be in for a surprise with the results.

Safety is always the citizens first priority. And with the US occupying Iraq this can never happen. Michael Moore said something in the lines of Iraq currently is a giant fire, and the American occupation is the fuel. The only way to put out the fire, is to remove the fuel.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Yeah I trust the CIA right!

Where were they on 911?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Yeah I trust the CIA right!

Where were they on 911?

Its obvious the chance of a civil war in iraq.This is not a covert op like 9/11 was....this is out in the open for everyone to see.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
All true Mr G. but I say the CIA is in the hands of the UN-globalists and that is why I do not trust them.

Besides if there is to be a civil war, then what are they doing about it right now besides complaining like they always do?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
the cia only have themselves to blame when they mess around with other peoples countries. They have a LONG history of it so they should know how to cope.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Yes and there is the KGB, MOSSAD, MI5 and 6, CSSIS, and a myriad of others out there too.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The KGB is now called the FSB
Federal Security Service (FSB)
Federal'naya Sluzhba Bezopasnosti

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
All true Mr G. but I say the CIA is in the hands of the UN-globalists and that is why I do not trust them.

Besides if there is to be a civil war, then what are they doing about it right now besides complaining like they always do?

I do not trust what the cia says either..but I dont think that they can really spin this for their advantage...but it maybe possible for them to say that there is a severe risk of civil war,so then they would ask for more powers,money and longer occupation..So i guess I will have to wait for further info about it when it shows up in a more credible source..but i think the risk for civil war is real.

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by McGotti]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Much as its hard to pay attention to anything the CIA says, this appears to be a grim tidbit of truth as this is exactly what was predicted to happen if political unrest were to occur. Which it is obviously now happening.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Hell yeah thats true. The Shiite majority wants power after being oppressed by the Sunni tribe under Saddam. The Kurds want some power too and sit by the oil. US wants a representive government which would merge power. I say there is about to be a big pillow fight with lots of feathers flying around. Iran 2 coming soon to a theatre near you!

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by dreamrebel]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
It seems we are hearing more and more of this possibility...easily dismissed, untill it becomes a fact.

Iraq Close to Civil War !!

...posted back in December.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I believe the spin here is that the CIA is "warning of possible civil war" as if they fear it might happen despite the good intentions of Georgie and his intel boys who say they want to bring democracy and prosperity to Iraq. Total B.S.

The truth is they planned on it happening - the balkanization of Iraq has been the goal all along. Just a few weeks ago the president of the Council of Foreign Relations - that Anglo-US cabal that grooms our ruling elite and determines our U.K. centric foreign policy - argued for a three-state solution to the 'Iraq problem' on the NYT op-ed page.

A fractured Iraq and region in general will make it much easier to extract water, oil and other resources without sharing profits and to deny the citizens of this land the ability to pose a technological or political threat to the Israeli state project.

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by Condorcet]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Quote: original post by condorcet,
The truth is they planned on it happening - the balkanization of Iraq has been the goal all along. Just a few weeks ago the president of the Council of Foreign Relations - that Anglo-US cabal that grooms our ruling elite and determines our U.K. centric foreign policy - argued for a three-state solution to the 'Iraq problem' on the NYT op-ed page.

Maybe this solution was presented in an effort to prevent civil war between these groups.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Iraq may just explode if the Shi'ites are not taken seriously. This knowledge is not new. Anyone who has studied the history of what is now known as Iraq would understand this. We have the Sykes-Picot agreement to thank for this. Modern day Iraq should actually be divided into three countries/ethnic regions. It's nothing more than a age-old non-understanding of Arab history and culture. This possibility and likelyhood was discussed well in advance of the invasion.

As for the CIA on this Iraq conflict, I will defend them because by and large they did the best they could to expose the deception eminating from the White House and Rumsfeld's Office of Special Plans. It is they who are responsible. Not the CIA.

new topics

top topics

join