It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court upholds Constitution denies Patriot Act

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Court upholds Constitution denies Patriot Act

news.yahoo.com

"For over 200 years, this Nation has adhered to the rule of law — with unparalleled success. A shift to a Nation based on extra-constitutional authority is prohibited, as well as ill-advised," she wrote.

By asking her to dismiss Mayfield's lawsuit, the judge said, the U.S. attorney general's office was "asking this court to, in essence, amend the Bill of Rights, by giving it an interpretation that would deprive it of any real meaning. This court declines to do so."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It seems that the judicial system is not completely inadequate after all. In a landmark ruling against the "UN" Patriot Act, A judge has finally resumed using the constitution to undermine the efforts of a corrupt government from spying on its citizens.

While I am no advocate of terrorism, I do believe "W" and the neo cons went way too far with some provisions of the Patriot Act. Perhaps this is the first baby step in restoring our government to a reasonable state.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

apc

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Baby steps indeed. The only question is what comes next? Another step forward, or two steps back?

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Doesn't matter. it sets a precedent. It is good we cannot have a branch of government behaving as if it is a law unto itself.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Holy snickers!!!

A bill got turned down.

This is the first one in 7 1/2 yrs.

I just snickered Wooot!

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
This is wonderfull news....although it won't last very long, the administration will appeal this before their own appointed supreme court judges and it will get overturned.....

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Judicial opinions are interesting but very divided on the subject, one judges ruling in such a case means little, practically speaking, and even less in terms of who theoretically "right". Motion to suspend immediate enforcement of the decision until the appeals court rules in favor of it again, next…

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Yes!! from my state! lo0ks like Oregon will not go down without a fight. this was pretty big here on all of the local news station's... i was glad ro see this gu get some real justice... now he's rich and can tell the patriot act to shove it!.. oi!!

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:33 AM
link   
This is great to see however the Federal Government has already proved they will over ride the rulings of the States. Just look back to the raiding and arrest on the West Coast 5 years ago against medical weed smokers.. States ruled them legal, the Feds came in and said it didnt matter and arrested everyone. In the end, this will decision will get reversed by a Federal Judge.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
What's really important is that people like us keep getting the messages out there to the masses that still deny or ignore such laws passed by this administration. I constantly post information on my MySpace acount. It's largely ignored by most, but every once in a while I'll get through to some and they'll repost information. It has really seemed to pick up lately. I think people are starting to realize that this administration DOES NOT have our best insterest, security, or prosperity at the forefront of their agenda.

Whether this is a landmark decision, or a baby step forward ... the public is starting to wake up to the multi-corporational entities that have infiltrated our government and moves forward with it's global domination agenda of restricting people's civil liberties for wealth and power.

Keep it up!

[edit on 27-9-2007 by tyranny22]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Lets hope this judge doesnt have a "accident" or "suicide". Its pretty powerful forces he is up against. I think by spreading the word of this, he should become somewhat safer though.

Kudos to the judge!

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Thats is great news. Baby steps indeed but soon it shall be great big steps towards a better future.

ProTo

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I would not be so fast to roll out the dancing floor just yet. It is very possible the ruling could be qppealed and taken to SCOTUS who leans towards the conservative side.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
*SNIP* You will applaud anything that is related to taking the govt down. That judge (Aiken) was a Clinton appointee. Go figure. The lawyer who brought the lawsuit is the same one who sued the FBI for wrongful arrest during the Madrid train bombing. I would say that there is a left wing agenda behind this aside from that lawyer guy having an axe to grind.
I'm sure that the ACLU is sending out an offer letter to him as I type this.
I hope that the feds over turn the ruling and boot both of those two out of this country.
Why are you all so afraid of the Patriot Act? Besides criminals and people with something to hide, who has it hurt? The country hasn't been bombed or attacked since we started kicking ass after 9/11 so stop whining and go back to your mommies basements and redesign your avatars.

[edit on 27-9-2007 by matt the rat]

Mod Edit: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: New Policies for Political Bickering – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 27/9/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This is good news indeed. I dont think things will continue in the positive direction though.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by matt the rat

Why are you all so afraid of the Patriot Act? Besides criminals and people with something to hide, who has it hurt? The country hasn't been bombed or attacked since we started kicking ass after 9/11 so stop whining and go back to your mommies basements and redesign your avatars.

BECAUSE IT IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN YOU NOT GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD??????????????

For the individuals who don't need a constitution move to China. This is what I suggest you do, because if you don't see anything wrong with tearing a persons house apart without any probable cause then China is the right place for you my friend. Me on the other hand, I am kinda keen on the whole constitution idea.

[edit on 27-9-2007 by Whathavewecometo]

[edit on 27-9-2007 by Whathavewecometo]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by matt the rat

The problem with the Patriot Act is it allows the government to take a small step forward in taking away the sacred freedoms that were laid down in the US constitution. If the government can get away with the Patriot Act, what next? The road to tyranny doesn't happen over night, it takes many small steps played by the government that play on the fears and ignorance of the population.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Although this is great news, I fear it will be short lived as this administration has proven over and over, the rule of law is not of interest to them.

Anyone who says, BUSH: "It's just a god damn piece of paper", when discussing the constitution, has no concept of right and wrong and will continue to ignore any and all court rulings against them.

Please remember to vote and hopefully we can restore the constitution and dig ourselves out of this hole our administration has created or us and our children.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This sounds like the Communist party of the USSR. Very restricting.

They just need to get rid of the patriot act altogether.
Cause that would be the fall of the US. And it will go down like the USSR did. Very fast and very painful.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
It is nice to know that someone of authority has the nerve to stand up to a huge segment of the government that is creating too many rules and laws for the government, and not for the people.

HS, Homeland Security needs to be trimmed also, these people remind me of the SS of Germany. How many thousands of Homeland Security people are there?

The Constitution of the USA says FOR THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE. What I want to know is why the USA hasn't made it illegal for people in the governments to take bribes from lobbiest? After all... they are not "the people", they are business.

That Judge is one great person, and knows what is right from wrong; now will the judgement will be carried out, or will it be overran by the people that make their own laws; and believe they are above the law.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join