It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese now Counterfeiting Automobiles?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
BMW and Daimler threaten to sue the Chinese automaker Shuanghuan if they bring their models UFO, CEO and NOBLE to the Frankfurt Auto show.

The three models look strikingly similar to the BMW X5, Toyota RAV4 and the Smart Fortwo.

There is a photo of the CEO and X5 in this first link:

BMW, Smart fend off Chinese copies of X5, ForTwo

Smart and BMW will likely be taking legal action to prevent a Chinese automaker from displaying two of its vehicles at the Frankfurt Auto Show, according to Automobilwoche, a sister company to Automotive News.

Related Article

www.businessweek.com

Looks pretty close to me, but I will let you decide.

edit:link

[edit on 2007/9/26 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
haha that is pretty close... but really, who cares? if people buy these cars for the looks instead of the quality, then so be it.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

But that's how BMW sell cars, on looks, not quality or performance.

The way I see it, if this Chinese company starts selling these cars, then BMW are going to suffer considerably, losing alot of money and in the end, jobs.

So BMW have every right to fight this cars release in my eyes, if the Chinese company can't be bothered to make their own designs then it will serve them right.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
im not disagreeing. just making an observation.

also, i tend to believe BMW sells more cars based on their service plans these days, at least that's why I got one

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
These cars are even more based on looks than you think. I saw an article on them in a Dutch magazine, and they are so horribly done on the inside (engine pales in comparison, screws are visible on places like the dashboard, cheap material) that it isn't worth it to purchase one.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I certainly wouldn't buy one of these or even want to ride in one.

If we can't trust the Chinese to make safe toys, how in the hell are they going to make safe cars?

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I certainly wouldn't buy one of these or even want to ride in one.

If we can't trust the Chinese to make safe toys, how in the hell are they going to make safe cars?

Hahahahahaha...................

Actually Chinese can make anything. But they do the shortcut. They just copied everything while in fact they can create their own.
It is the way to kill European economy? hehehe

Anyway BMW or whatever European and American car is not safe for you.
Many dies in BMW.
They are not Armour car, hehehe

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cibai
Hahahahahaha...................

Actually Chinese can make anything.

That is funny,

The question is can they make it right?

It seems there has been quite a few problems with Chinese made goods in the news recently.

So maybe the correct way to say it is,

Chinese can make copy anything badly.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

To be fair, it's only a bad copy because they use cheaper materials and have lower quality control standards.

And I'd have to agree with Cibai (I know what your name means...
) that BMWs aren't exactly safe. Volvo is safer.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Love that avatar, it makes me laugh,

Anyway, do you believe it is fair for China to counterfeit automobile designs and try to sell them in the same market as the originals?

That is the real issue..

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Keyword here is 'try'. I think one look at the interiors or one test drive and people should be able to tell the difference. If the price difference is very very big (as in the Chinese cars are wayy cheaper) then I say why not. Caveat emptor as they say...

In this particular case, I have to say that there is another car that looks very similar to the X5... just don't remember what the name is. Because to be frank, a lot of cars look similar to each other.

Can you find more photos from different angles of this Chinese copy?

Edit: confusion of car model names...

[edit on 26-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
There was an article in Forbes a few weeks ago about the Chinese-made automobiles. I couldn't find the same article to share from their web-version, unfortunately. They showed a variety of different Chevys, Fords, and Chryslers that had been copied so closely that the parts were directly interchangeable with the legitimate versions - e.g. you could swap an entire door with the Chevrolet version and attach it to the Chinese version without any additional machining/fiddling around.

Like noted the quality of materials was low, and they showed crash tests where the person in the legit car would have walked away with minimal injuries, but in the Chinese version it didn't look like anybody inside would have had a chance at life, let alone walking away.

I've rarely had anything made in China that's worked a second time - I too would definitely not want to ride inside one. The Chevy dealership once gave me a tiny Kia loaner while my truck was getting body work done, and I felt like I was taking my life into my own hands - going just 65mph on the inter-state made the car shake so badly I half expected it to fall apart on me. A Chinese counterfeit must be infinitely more terrifying.

Wasn't there also an Italian company (iirc) that was caught counterfeiting Corvettes back in the 70's or 80's too?

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

The question is can they make it right?

It seems there has been quite a few problems with Chinese made goods in the news recently.

So maybe the correct way to say it is,

Chinese can make copy anything badly.

Yes, they can make it right, I think African can make it right also. It is just a matter of time and money.

Yes, there are many problems with Chinese made goods in the news recently, it is all American tricks. And, there are many problems with American products as well.
Today, America is the problem.
American even blame Chinese backing the riots in Burma. That is disgusting.

Yes, Chinese copied it badly. Perhaps they can do it better with higher price and nobody gonna buy it.

As long as those Chinese don't produce exactly the same car as BMW, put a BMW logo on it and claim it as Made in Germany, then I don't see any problem.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
China can make anything and they can make it right.

Many high-quality products are produced in China.

It's just too bad that there aren't the necessary regulations in place to prevent unscrupulous manufacturers from exporting shoddy products.

Some of the best names in business, purchase products from Chinese manufacturers.

www.made-in-china.com...

[edit on 2007/9/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cibai
As long as those Chinese don't produce exactly the same car as BMW, put a BMW logo on it and claim it as Made in Germany, then I don't see any problem.

I have to agree.

Automobile manufacturers copy one another wildly, so it's nothing really new.

As long as the product is clearly labeled for what it is and there are no copyright or patent infringements, then it just seems like business as usual.

I will note however that business are clamping down on such practices, even not all such challenges are successful.

[edit on 2007/9/27 by GradyPhilpott]

apc

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'm fairly certain people can tell the difference between something made in Germany and something made in China. That's really a no-brainer.

If there's an intellectual property issue, I don't get it...

Can Ford go after Hyundai?

Or Honda after Toyota?

Or Fred after Barney?

Gimme a break!

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
If China does sell these in Europe they won't last long. There should be a recall that deals with lead paint sooner or later....sorry, I couldn't refuse.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
China Syndrome

China is roughly where Japan was in the 1970's. In America, "Made in Japan" used to be synonymous with "cheap, breaks when touched" goods.

That changed.

Now "Made in Japan" means "high-tech, Toyota-reliable" goods and they command prices accordingly.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and God bless that, but personally I think it would be extremely naive to assume China can't make first-rate merchandise.

As Grady pointed out above, much of what we in America consider top-quality goods are already made in China.

Everyone who has ever underestimated China has come to regret it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join