It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analyst On "Dirty Bomb" Threat by Islamic Extremists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I stumbled on this article from EurasiaNet discussing the possible movement of terrorists to southern Kyrgyzstan and their efforts to use the uranium tailing dumps as the component of a dirty bomb.

www.eurasianet.org

Kyrgyz analyst Ulan Kankor looks into reports which say that international terrorists are allegedly moving to Central Asia and probably to Kyrgyzstan’s Dzhalal-Abad Region because it has many uranium damps left from the Soviet era. He also highlights the recent session of the Kyrgyz Security Council to which the official Kyrgyz clergy were reportedly invited. Kankor suggests that the authorities want to initiate closer cooperation with the clergy to prevent the spread of radicalism in the country. The following is an excerpt from Ulan Kankor’s article "Will Bin Ladin get his residence permit in Dzhalal-Abad?", published by the Kyrgyz newspaper Belyy Parokhod on 19 September; subheadings as published:

An interesting read but it does raise questions to me as I am no expert in the nuclear field.

The article seems to say that by using TNT in the tailings, the terrorists could get results similar to a dirty bomb .

Theoretically, it is rather easy to carry out a terrorist attack on a tailing dump. The main thing is to know which place is better for placing TNT to cause maximum damage. If only a part of the waste from uranium tailing damps gets into water, then the organizer of such an act will be responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions, living in the zone of possible radioactive contamination.

Is this feasible?

edit :title

[edit on 2007/9/26 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well, uranium tailings certainly have key radioactive components in them which I wouldn't want to be exposed to, I know that much. In theory, dumping enough in the water supply would be lethal to people who drank it, but how much that would be would depend on the composition of the trailings and the size of the resevoir in question.

As to whether AQ are really in the country...who knows? The networks of The Base have become very confused in recent years, its certainly possible they are there, but equally Kyrgyzstan may be scare mongering because it wants a cash payout to fund something else. I believe the US has a program which is meant to help fund the securing of ex-USSR nuclear material which they have underfunded recently, this could be a not so subtle reminder that the cash would be handy.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If Uranium is a dirty bomb then America has used hundreds of tons of dirty bombs just in Iraq.

For a 'dirty bomb' you need something much more radioactive than Uranium. Cobalt 60 comes to mind....

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
An analysis of the cleanup cost in NY of a dirty bomb I read was in the billions. The most clear and present danger any of our big cities face. Relatively simple, cheap, and most likely to drive the masses into panic.
Just what they want.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaliayev

As to whether AQ are really in the country...who knows? The networks of The Base have become very confused in recent years, its certainly possible they are there, but equally Kyrgyzstan may be scare mongering because it wants a cash payout to fund something else. I believe the US has a program which is meant to help fund the securing of ex-USSR nuclear material which they have underfunded recently, this could be a not so subtle reminder that the cash would be handy.

This is exactly what Indonesia have done with their domestic radical muslim opposition / terror groups. Throw a few opinions about there being a link to AQ and BANG! A whole load of US aid comes pouring through the door to fund weapons and programmes to use against the 'terrorists' and for putting down any other disent in your country.

AQ are 'spotted' everywhere now but they never seem to come up with another 'big one'. They seem to spending a lot of time firing AK47s at US troops and using home made explosives stuffed in drains rather than bringing us the dirty bombs and anthrax that our leaders have warned us against. Could it be that these are just cheesed off Iraqis fighting for the freedom of their own land from foreign invaders? Hmmm, no, of course not...

new topics

top topics

join