It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans asking for political refugee in Finland and EU

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Americans asking for political refugee in Finl

www.turunsanomat.fi

First American's looking for a political refugee in Finland, this was reported by one of the largest Finnish news papers (Turun Sanomat). We currently have one family of 5, and 5 other refugees seeking for political refugee. They were turned down by German's and now they are in Finland. This article is in Finnish.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-9-2007 by FaxMachine]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I have heard that American refugees are on the rise, and now they are even coming to Finland. I don't know why this is and i'm working on translating that news story.

www.turunsanomat.fi
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Why?
Because they want to escape there maniac-like imperialistic criminal of a president.

Sounds reasonable to me!

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I'm also thinking about that.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Um what's the point..??

There is a rather simple and well documented procedure to renounce your US citizenship and leave. It is rather unlikely they are being pursued unless criminal, and since we do not limit our citizens from traveling, the whole "political refugee" thing is a bit over the top. Anyone is free to go at anytime they please.

Of course, most countries have their own immigration procedures, many with financial and other requirements so it's not quite as easy to find a new home but it can be done....

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by UofCinLA
Um what's the point..??

There is a rather simple and well documented procedure to renounce your US citizenship and leave. It is rather unlikely they are being pursued unless criminal, and since we do not limit our citizens from traveling, the whole "political refugee" thing is a bit over the top. Anyone is free to go at anytime they please. immigration procedures, many with financial and other requirements so it's not quite as easy to find a new home but

I thought US Citizens were banned from going to Cuba? Werent they also banned from Vietnam for a time?

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Why?
Because they want to escape there maniac-like imperialistic criminal of a president.

Sounds reasonable to me!

good post! so you agree with me on that then! we are good friends.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
During the Vietnam war 100 of thousand drafters got refugium in Scandinavia ...as they did in Canada.

Nothing new, only the war is.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Dear thread opener,

sorry to go off topic, but:

last week you had a thread entitled "tooth fairy". I was told that this thread was a joke. Can you confirm that?

Thanks

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Dear thread opener,

sorry to go off topic, but:

last week you had a thread entitled "tooth fairy". I was told that this thread was a joke. Can you confirm that?

Thanks

Well, that's classifed and top secret, i cannot comment on that. The thread was not a joke if it ever was there, i don't joke when i post.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Its probably a good idea to leave the US now before they introduce some new law requiring you to have a permit from the government.

Im not sure how Martial Law would affect your ability to leave the country? Sounds to me like it would prevent it. Like they say in the information linked below:

"Security - With security the number one directive, expect that leaving a city/ area by car would be an ordeal. We're talking akin to getting into Canada (actually, a lot worse). Thus, travel, beyond to places of employment, would be severely restricted (possibly by permit only?)."

Some info on what happens during martial law

[edit on 26-9-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
If an american "renounces" their citizenship, the IRS still requires them to pay income tax for 10 years afterward.

I tihnk USA was simply reciprocating with various eurostates that have that law, Germany among them perhaps.

Some states would consider that oppression, and you might be able to seek political asylum from future taxes. But states that also had "ghost tax" might not want to question the applicability of such laws.

You could always flee to Cuba. Or Iran. I don't think North Korea is receiving american refugees.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I can confirm the OPs story, this was on all major Finnish news outlets a while ago. Nothing has been told about how finnish immigration authorities will decide.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Ahhh, the dream of a Real Patriotic American:

Watching as a whining, anti-American coward, starts swimming to Cuba with a liberal under each arm.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
it takes quite some time and effort to get citizenship in most european countries nowadays. political asylum (you are a politcal refugee you aren't looking for politcal refugee.) woud be faster. Unless you want to languish in a shelter, not allowed to legally work while you wait for procedures to finish to get a work permit and if wanted the new nationality.

At least that's how it goes where I live you can of course work 'black' as we call it without being registered and paying tax over your income but if caught you will have renounced any right to ever get a permit or citizenship, the procedure will be stopped and you will be put on a plane out.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kurioz

Watching as a whining, anti-American coward, starts swimming to Cuba with a liberal under each arm.

There are actually many, many reasons why people flee the country..

I for one ... if I could ever get my Fiancee to go with me, would leave in a heart beat.. simply because I find American culture disgusting. But thats just me. I guess anyone that disagrees with your own Fascist views is a Coward.

Also note, not all that emigrate are Liberals, I know several Americans that moved to Britain and Canada and where very Conservative. And if you have been here long enough to know, my narrow minded friend, I am not a Liberal either.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kurioz

I bet youre the type that laugh at people leaving yet feel the need to own a gun to protect yourself from your own government, hypocrite.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Exactly. Why mince words? Give it another year and we will be inflating our rafts and heading wherever there's land!

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Give me your home addresses and I will personally give you the money to leave our country .... we will be better off without all of you terrorist and dictator lovers. Take the next flight to Tehran and you can be with the great Ahmadinejihad for all I care, you guys apparently think hes so great so go live with him then.

new topics

top topics

join