It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look at these Crabs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I've never seen such big crabs.
Take a look for yourself.Giant Coconut and Alaskan Kingcrabs

[edit on 26-9-2007 by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Look at this "Little Baby"

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO
I've never seen such big crabs.
Take a look for yourself.Giant Coconut and Alaskan Kingcrabs
[edit on 26-9-2007 by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO]

very interesting indeed. I would hate to have one of those get hold of a finger. I remember we were fishing one, my brother and i, of the side of a dredger in the bay in Durban, Natal. My brother hooked a crab, which obviously had a taste for the piece of sardine on his hook, and when we pulled it on deck we were teasing it with the back of a stainless steal knife. It took holf of the knife and left a nice little dent/impression on the solid handle from it's pincers. It wasn't even that big - ok maybe a little - about 60cm across legs and body.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I have seen those so much on Discovery^^ There was a show called "Deadliest Catch" where they catch those for living outside alaska^^

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZikhaN
I have seen those so much on Discovery^^ There was a show called "Deadliest Catch" where they catch those for living outside alaska^^

No one else has seen them because your the only one who watches that show.lol im just kidding,I do however hate it because it is the same thing everytime.

Anyway those crabs are pretty damm big.That picture of the monster on the trash can rocks.Some of them kind of look like giant ticks.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Great post.

Something so common as the crab, and yet...

I too have seen the Alaskan King crab, primarily based on the notiriety of Discovery's " Deadliest Catch ". ( 40k for two weeks work vs. Possible death... tough call )

As far as the Coconut Crab, WOW.

Never even knew they existed.

It certainly looks like an amazing creature. With the ability to 'crack' a coconut, would this be one of its primary food sources?

Most of the pics show the creature on land or in trees, that alone would scare the crap out of me, but the fact that they look somewhat deformed adds a little more fright to a possible sighting.

Nice to know whats out there.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
make one HELL of a crab salad i tell you what!!

lol

best place in the world to eat crab is Joes Stone Crab in Miami Fla!!

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The coconut crab is also known as the robber crab, because like a magpie, it steals things from people, such as car keys, and runs off with them.

It is the largest land-going crab on the planet. It is also the most highly evolved of the coenobita, or land hermit crabs. Most hermit crabs require a water source to be carried around with them in order to breathe properly while on land, which is why they wear their shells. The coconut crab, Birgus latro, after its first year, does not require this extra water source.

I have heard that B. latro is either endangered or threatened because it makes a tasty meal and is considered a delicacy in the South Pacific.

It is also extremely short tempered and can do severe damage to someone who messes with it. It is also extremely cannibalistic and cannot be kept penned or tied with other members of its species because the larger will eat the smaller.

It is believed that B. latro and/or its cousin species, Coenobita perlatus, the strawberry hermit crab, may have been responsible for disposing of Amelia Erhardt's remains when she died on an island after crashing.

[edit to fix bold to italic. sigh]

[edit on 26-9-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo

Originally posted by ZikhaN

No one else has seen them because your the only one who watches that show.lol im just kidding,I do however hate it because it is the same thing everytime.

Anyway those crabs are pretty damm big.That picture of the monster on the trash can rocks.Some of them kind of look like giant ticks.

Hahahha I don't watch it. It was on discovery so much before that I always saw it when I switched to that channel. They look so freaky^^

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Holy mother of pearl 'em are some big snappers. Reminds me of the Stephen King novel 'The Black Tower' where the gunslinger gets mauled on the beach.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
My goodness! Someone heat up some butter and get me a side of Old Bay fries!
Thanks for sharing this, it's astonishing the things we're still discovering.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Holy mother of pearl 'em are some big snappers. Reminds me of the Stephen King novel 'The Black Tower' where the gunslinger gets mauled on the beach.

"Black Thirteen crouched on red velvet like the slick eye of a monster that grew outside God's shadow..."

Fantastic stuff. I've got it all on audio book, which I can listen to at work.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Ditto on that CC. King is one of my favorite authors up there with Steinbeck, Hemingway and Frost. Their writing styles just ooze into the cortex like talking to an old friend.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
They all have elephantitus!
but really those things are huge i would crap myself if i saw one from a distance

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
that is freaky!.. i hate spiders even the small ones.. but if i seen one of these crabs... i would probably have a heart attack.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
OMG

Those crabs are huge!

I'll bring the seasoning, and someone please find a kettle big enough to boil these suckers in!

Butter too please! yummy yummy!

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I've had a lifelong phobia of spiders too King. Probably didn't help when my brother and sister locked me in the attic at three telling me the spiders were going to eat me. Didn't help either when I got bit by a brown recluse that left a neat hole in my arm two years ago. I'll smash them with anything handy. Only good spider is a dead spider. If they are outside, fine. Come into my abode and lights out. Those crab critters are like my worst nightmare.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
i remember seeing stuff like this before, and each time I see the pictures I say "holy crap those are huge freakin crabs!!!!"

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
holy crap those are huge
they look like giant hermit crabs with out the shell
lheres one------------->www.flickr.com...

[edit on 26-9-2007 by miguelbmx]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Yeah, those coconut crabs are seen quite often on the east coast beaches of Malaysia (not so often any more on the developed west coast). Like the Major said, they're quite bad tempered so it's best to leave them be.

Also, don't carry anything shiny on you. They like shiny things. If you plan to camp by the beach, make sure your shiny or brightly coloured objects are kept secure.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join