It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

What exactly is terrorism??

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
If you look in the dictionary, the offical defenation of terrorism is;

Terrorism

1. The act of terrorizing; use or terror.
2. The condition of fear and submission produced by frightening people.
3. A method of opposing a government internally through the use of terror.

With these definitions, it does not say terrorism is used only by evil. But looking at the definitions, you can think: That can be used by anyone. A bank robber is a terrorist, a rapist is a terrorist, we can say Jason and Freddy Kreugar are terrorists, and even Spartacus was a terrorist, but a good terrorist. Even Halloween can be translated as terrorism since you see people wearing spooky costumes and scaring people for fun.

In my view, terrorism is just a more evil word for crime. And the fact that terrorism has been around for thousands of years. So in other words, the 'War on Terrorism' can be translated as 'War on Crime'. And honestly, I don't think terrorism will be defeated cause like crime, it will always be here till the end of time.

Your thoughts?




posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
excellent post


I agree, there will always be some form of "terrorism"

if they ever manage to stop suicide bombers, something else will evolve to take its place.



posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Close, but not exactly. A terrorist is someone whose business is causing fear and panic in LARGE groups of people. Sure, a bank robber scares the people inside the bank, but a terrorist's goal is to frighten the whole country.



posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think the term crime would be to general for this. I mean if you looked up crime in the dictionary, you would get a differen't definition than for "terrorism". Also these Terrorists oppose specific gov'ts and groups. Not just the general population of the world. You know what i mean? Then agian, I could be wrong.



posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
They do oppose Gov.s and groups, but they use the terror of the populace to try to effect change.



posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
They do oppose Gov.s and groups, but they use the terror of the populace to try to effect change.


Kinda like what the Isrealis are doing to the Palesteinians.



posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
yeah, thats how they make thier changes. You definatly don't find them picketing outside the White House. What I mean is, terrorism is a completely differen't ballpark from basic crime.



posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
It's a hellva lot more indicriminate. They don't care which individual is on the recieving end.



posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
no see, thats not it at all, they target specific groups, religions, and gov'ts. It's actually quite discriminate.



posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well, I fear my own government. Does that make them terrorist?



posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
No, I mean the individual. The target could be man woman,child,black,white,native, whatever,as long as the target is hit.



posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
oh. yeah well in that case your more or less right. yeah.



posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanSpy
If you look in the dictionary, the offical defenation of terrorism is;

Terrorism

1. The act of terrorizing; use or terror.
2. The condition of fear and submission produced by frightening people.
3. A method of opposing a government internally through the use of terror.

With these definitions, it does not say terrorism is used only by evil. But looking at the definitions, you can think: That can be used by anyone. A bank robber is a terrorist, a rapist is a terrorist, we can say Jason and Freddy Kreugar are terrorists, and even Spartacus was a terrorist, but a good terrorist. Even Halloween can be translated as terrorism since you see people wearing spooky costumes and scaring people for fun.

In my view, terrorism is just a more evil word for crime. And the fact that terrorism has been around for thousands of years. So in other words, the 'War on Terrorism' can be translated as 'War on Crime'. And honestly, I don't think terrorism will be defeated cause like crime, it will always be here till the end of time.

Your thoughts?


It's the equivalent of saying "what's evil". Like I've said before, Bush might as well wage war on evil with the same result. Good luck with that Bush



posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoganCale
Close, but not exactly. A terrorist is someone whose business is causing fear and panic in LARGE groups of people. Sure, a bank robber scares the people inside the bank, but a terrorist's goal is to frighten the whole country.


Not necessarily. People who plant bombs in a house/car are considered terrorists but they don't frighten the country. The definition is VERY fluid and malleable. Terrorism is what our government tells us it is.

And evil is also what our government tells us it is. Neither is self-defined.



posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoganCale
Close, but not exactly. A terrorist is someone whose business is causing fear and panic in LARGE groups of people. Sure, a bank robber scares the people inside the bank, but a terrorist's goal is to frighten the whole country.


~*~
yes. OK.
a difference of Scale..

a terrorist seeks to damage, disrupt, destroy,
the whole Social Order......thru various uncivil
and inhumanity acts-> like wanton murder of
innocents, such as 9-11 & the Moscow Theatre



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join