It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone in high school? Do you HAVE to have your ID Card??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
ya we have id cards but its not needed for anything, maybe because im in canada, but if ever that happened i would refuse, i am already challenging my teachers about having to stand for the national anthem, those fools of authority cannot control me, its just like when they say you need a certain vaccination or you get suspended, i sujest you fight back against this.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hmm.... Anyone have a police officer with a gun patrol their school every day? I'm not worried because I never really do anything illegal but I was just worried if 10-15 students gang up on him he can have his weapon stolen and then puit some students in harm....

Gosh some things in schools are so flawed, pretty frustrating

tankthinker- hahah I refuse to say the pledge and all my friends make fun of me, but good for you

[edit on 12/19/2007 by racerzeke]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
i don't understand what the big deal is about ID cards, i have the national ID card here in Malta.

here's the data it contains:
first and last name
address
signature
date of birth
place of birth
validity dates for the ID card
nationality

...why the paranoia? that's the kind of data that you have on your driver's license.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
its not having the card thats bad its having to show it,

and some schools my friends go to (not mine its too small) have undercover cops, its funny cause they tell me that its obvious that they are undercover, because their walkie talkies go off in class and stuff, and they are always asking for drygs

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tankthinker

hm, i really only have to show it at bars and clubs (i look a bit younger than 18 when i shave...by a bit i mean anywhere down to 14 in some people's eyes.)

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
yes we need it to buy food, I didnt it have me on it once and i got in a huge argument with the lunch lady she eventually let me go because I was holding up the lines
But what Really pisses me off is the cameras there EVERYWHERE! and if you even where a hood you have to go to a detention on saturday
... I hate my school

[edit on 24-12-2007 by zre24]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I think thats why I used to like my parents approach to some of these things. We're sorry mrs jones but your son has to serve a satuday detention.
Thats nice, but he won't be attending he has prior commitments.
well, school policy says that..
.... that you can stick your detention up your backside and twist. have a nice day *click*

what could the school do about it? apparently nothing.

this was a while ago though.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I used to go to a catholic school and we had to have IDs once the work-study program started. They were the ones worn around the neck (which i put in my shirt pocket). The teachers never cared about them only if they'd get in trouble as well. They were absolutely pointless. The IDs had the name, school, grade, and picture of the student. Everyone knew each other and only the higher powers cared about them. They had no tracking chips in them and i could leave the building and get back in no problem as long as i caught the door before i left.(Grade A security by the way).

Before we went off to 'work' in the mornings, an administrator would check for them. (I personally scratched out my face on mine and it took them half a year to actually notice and i had which then forced me to pay 15 for an new one and detention for an hour.) At work, I'd take mine off and sometimes the admin. would run by job sites and someone would text me if they were coming since we were apart of a route.
A friend of mine went to get her license and told me she forgot she was wearing it and a man came up to her and started talking to her using her first name and when she asked him to quit, he told her he already knows where she goes to school and what grade shes in. People used to think i worked at the store i was in when i forgot to take mine off when i left. I just blew them off and they complained to the manager about a bad employee.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This is bringing back memories already. Couldn't get a lunch without the card and you couldn't check a library book without the card. Hee hee hee I really remember when some kid protested against the whole tagging thing.

Exactly what he did was blow up a picture of his I.D. card and glued it to some cardboard I heard. You had to hear the craziest things in my art class when somebody wanted to rebel, it was sweet.

Now a year later, I see the school, you can't enter the, school without a card. But theres a clever way of getting around it. You have somebody from the inside of the door open it for you.XD

Sort of a lazy system as I see it. They lock the doors expecting the students to come in and I have witnessed. Some school official once or twice opening the door using their card.

I'm sure other things might have changed with the I.D. tag. But I never really took it seriously in the first place.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
i think its dumb that i have to take it to school everyday in order to get lunch. if i forget it one day for whatever reason, then I wont be able to eat for that day.

my school has seriously gone mad with power
if we are absent 14 days to a class, the we automatically drop fail

if we are tardy 6 times the WHOLE semester, we receive a suspension
and they keep us in a room every time we are late
then they try to justify that as saying that they are taking away our chance to learn.
what kind of justification is that?!

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by anticon.

If you have an unexcused absent, then definitely its big time trouble both for you and your parents. You be straight to the office explaining why you are absent many times. I've seen many students skipping school. Trying to find excuses when coming back after being gone for a long time.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I would definitely deal with absences and not let them pile up, as I've had this happen to me before and the cops actually came to my house-pretty scary dude.... Their whole wrap about the truancy or tardy police may not be exact but you have to go to school...

You may not agree or think school is stupid but just show up-failing is better than being sent to juvenile hall

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Hey, here's an idea. It's called teaching children responsibility. Is it not? You have to have your ID to do this-and-this, and if you don't have it, you can't. Simple as that. You all talk about it as if it's a conspiracy to steal your 14-18 year old identity. Yeah, when I was in high school I also needed a visible ID at all times, and I needed it to check out library materials and purchase lunch. Big deal. I agree there are conspiracies in our education systems... but with IDs? Not so much.

Conditioning for the future? You bet. For YOUR future. High school is meant to prepare you for the "real world". If you get caught driving without your drivers license, what happens? Many careers also require a nametag/ID/whatever. Do policemen rob you of your privacy when they pull you over and look at your license? What makes you believe that teachers/deans do when they look at your ID?

[edit to change my wording for clarity]

[edit on 21-1-2008 by acissej]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Its simple, kids from another school look like kids in this school. So they hang around talking and doing pranks because they don't belong there. Hence the need for IDs. Its for library, lunch, etc. But most important its for students and teachers with IDs that tells everybody that they work and go there. Also any student who cause trouble has an ID ready to tell the police or teacher who he/she is, instead of giving the student an option to lie about his/her name. That simple.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I am a Senior in High School, I have been to 3 different schools (2 in Texas and 1 in New Jersey, I am in Jersey right now). My first High School did not require or even have ID cards. That was my first half of Freshmen year. I then moved to another place in Texas, and that school had ID cards but they were not mandatory. My friends in that school said that the administration issued IDs because a kid had committed suicide the year before and he had no face left so they had a hard time IDing him, and the only reason they had ids is in case the same thing happened again. I left after Freshmen year and came up to NJ, the school i go to now has mandatory ID cards that have to be worn, and like other schools it cost money to get one if you lost it, and if you don't have it you get detentions up the buttocks and its possible to fail the year for not having it. The admins at the school say that they have ID cards so no one can get into the school and hurt others, but what they fail to realize is that no one even wants to set foot in there for any possible reason.

But I do have to agree with the OPs post about the school conditioning the students. Not just with ID cards but also with falsifying how the real world is.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Mine requires the card itself to get into dances, games, and the computer center in the library if you're not with a class. For lunches, and to login to computers you can get by with the student number printed on the card.

We also have a misguided policy about tardies:

1. If you are in the hall after the bell, you have to head to the office to get a pass to class. It's a 3 story school and the only place you can get a pass is the secretary in the office on the first floor. The school has 2000+/- students. Of course not all of us are late at once, but even 5-10% creates a bottleneck sometimes taking up to 10-15 minutes of an hour long class to process everyone.
2.3 of these tardies earns you a detention.
3.After the third detention, you earn a suspension.

I have no clue why they enacted this. It has reduced the tardy rate, but at the expense of making late kids later.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
we have ID cards at our school, and they give them out to you every year. i didnt get mine this year, though, but i have mine from last year. they really mean nothing, its just a picture of you, your first and last name, and your ID number. they dont help you pay for your lunch, check out a library book, or get into the school. ive never had to pay for one, so im assuming they are paid for through tax money, and seeing as they are so useless, its just a waste.

but, the overall strictness has increased in school since my freshman year, no hats, no mp3s, and no cell phones, to name a few. usually, as punishment, your forbidden item is confiscated, and has to be picked up by a parent at the end of the day. sometimes i think that the administration is more worried about things like cell phones rather than the large amounts of drugs that come into school everyday.

as far as tardies at my school, you get 2 'free' ones, the third is an after school detention. the fourth is a longer detention, the fifth is a friday school from 2:45-5:30, the sixth is a 1-3 day suspesion, and the seventh is a loss of credit from whatever class you have been tardy to.

[edit on 26/1/08 by wisefoolishness]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

Cellphones are far more common in peoples pockets and backpacks than drugs. Hence why the schools are pouncing on them when students are textmessaging than listening and doing school activities.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

at my school, i would honestly say that they (cell phones and drugs) are about equal to each other in number.
and sure, the drugs arent actually right in their pockets, but theyre not far, kids keep tobacco products, and drugs in back packs, and lockers. i've seen teachers that favor certain students, underage students btw, throw away their empty chewing tobacco cans, so they dont get caught with them, to make sure that they are able to participate in athletic events, et c.
the point is, they arent doing enough to stop it.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Yea schools are just a huge shady 'corporation' I'd say...I've seen drugs around my school, and yes teachers do favor although not in illegal activities that's pretty scary, and cell phones are a huge problem

If I were allowed to run a school- I would cell phone jam the place or probably more safe as they could be used outside I would faraday cage the rooms...My school isnt afraid to have a police officer to make things 'safer' why not get a k9 or something... or no that would be 'controversial' and now adays you have to fit in with everyone else.....

It's all about the illusion that things are going well and that you test well for your school 'they' dont care about the individual even though the individual teacher might

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join