It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A thought too few actually 100% grasp.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
While I was playing EVE Online I came across a player with an very interesting statement in his bio which I posted below. And you know so many pretend to question yet only question that which they agree with. I don't think that is the point. Question EVERYTHING. Even what you accept and who gives you the information. No one is 100% immune to being a fool all the time.

Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we
do not know who we are, or where we are going in this
ocean of chaos,
it has been the authorities, the political, the religious,
the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing,
forming in our minds their view of reality.

To think for yourself you must question authority and
learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness;
chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself.

Think for yourself.
Question authority.
-Timothy Leary

[edit on 25-9-2007 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I feel I should question your quote. If you feel that my question to question your quote is infact a question of questionable origin. Then I would suggest you too question your quote and your question to question my question.

Ya feelin me dogg!

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

That would take me caring what you do. The quote to question was merely something to think about. What you do with it means little to me.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Meaning little means it means something and something with a lot of something else is infact everything.

Trust me nothing means nothing!

Deep and I ain't talking throat!

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
No its still nonsense and as I said before do what you want.
You can mock all you wish but doesn't lessen the truth of that quote.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
"To think for yourself you must question authority"

authority |əˈθôritē; ôˈθär-| (abbr.: auth.) noun ( pl. -ties) 1 the power or right to give orders, make decisions, and enforce obedience : he had absolute authority over his subordinates | positions of authority | they acted under the authority of the UN Security Council | a rebellion against those in authority. See note at jurisdiction . • [often with infinitive ] the right to act in a specified way, delegated from one person or organization to another : military forces have the legal authority to arrest drug traffickers. • official permission; sanction : the money was spent without congressional authority. 2 (often authorities) a person or organization having power or control in a particular, typically political or administrative, sphere : the health authorities | the Chicago Transit Authority | the authorities ordered all foreign embassies to close | she wasn't used to dealing with authority. 3 the power to influence others, esp. because of one's commanding manner or one's recognized knowledge about something : he has the natural authority of one who is used to being obeyed | he spoke with authority on the subject. • the confidence resulting from personal expertise : he hit the ball with authority. • a person with extensive or specialized knowledge about a subject; an expert : she was an authority on the stockmarket. • a book or other source able to supply reliable information or evidence, typically to settle a dispute : the court cited a series of authorities supporting their decision.

Trust no one - go live in a hut in the middle of nowhere!!

Everyone has some form of AUTHORITY. Call it semantics if you like, but your quote is just paranoid claptrap.

MonKey

May the force be with me!

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Nope. Questioning authority means don't accept everything they say at face value. At no point does it say anything about paranoia. It says don't just by default follow everything everyone says, make up your own mind.

If you are uncomfortable at doing such go ahead and continue to be sheeple, I don't mind. But I find I like to not let others do my thinking for me because they will never have your best interest in mind. Only theirs.

Oh. And question doesn't mean rebel. It means question thats it.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
You can say Question Authority or you can say "Think for Your Damn Self" by mix the two or even think they are the same. Some authority is good, I have authority over my kids, sure they may question me, however my authority is still law in my house and too much questioning will lead to consequences...same as in society.

Instead of Question Authority and trying associate it with rebellion. "Think for Yourself" would be the better way to say ideologically the question of "question authority".

[edit on 9-26-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Yep all that lines means to me is "Think for Your Damn Self". He can blow it up and try to pump whatever complex arcane meanings into it he wants. But that is what in a nut shell that quote means to me. Pure and simple.
"Think for Your Damn Self"

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Ancient Chinese proverb says, "Man with hole in pocket feels cocky all day".

Just for the record. I'm English of Maltese decent. Hong Kong is self goverening to an extent and should have full democratic elections by 2047 as aggreed with the British just over ten years ago when their 99 year lease of Hong Kong was over on July the first 1997.

On a more personal note I like fishing, and some times get the odd bite!!

Laters Potatas!!

MonKey

You can think for yourself all you want, but laws are laws. No matter who or what has put them in place. oh well such is life. :bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

All well. If I was to say the sky was blue you'd probly disagree.
And I wasn't talking about laws or rules and I wasn't promoting anarchy regardless what you may think. If I was I would have just said it.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
good quote.

a few posts here reconfirm the need for negative ratings on ATS :shk:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Just to pick, because it's fun and it helps the world go around! You are not on ATS, you are in the land of BTS, which is suppost to be a more relaxed version of the aforementioned ATS.

Now with a little logic and deduction I would be having a blind guess that you are refering to my posts with reguard to the negative statements. That is fine with me! Having ben told by the op to question everything I then find that you can't actually question everything! It's weird ya!

If not related to my posts then please proceed to go and collect $200. Have a nice day Ya'll.

MonKey

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   

My god Chikey, you have no idea how much you were missed around here.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
V - A Discordian is Prohibited of Believing what he reads
The Principia Discordia

Always loved that one. You get someone to read it in front of you and you can literally see the penny dropping as realization dawns.

new topics

join