It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Atheist Conspiracy?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
As an Atheist I take comfort in knowing that the Atheist population in the US alone is increasing by 1.3 Million a year. I think that number is going to increase eveery year as we find new evidence of religion. So by 2100 we will be by far the majority in America and by 2200 we shall have TAKEN OVER THE WORLD!!

[edit on 30-9-2007 by Damien_Hell]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I'm not atheist, I'm very much Agnostic.

One of the things I've noticed in this thread is that its interesting how professed Christians don't act Christian. One of the biggest differences I have seen in the whole Atheist vs Christian debate is that if a Atheist does something wrong, its on them, if a Christain does something wrong all they have to do is to pray and ask for forgiveness, so one side has a get out of jail for free card the other must live with there mistake. So witch side would be more willing to do something wrong?

Christians profess to be desriminated against in this country because they can't hang a copy of the ten commandments in public facilities. Even though not all citizens are of there religion, well the commandments state

1 thou shall have No other God before me. So if you are Not Christian do you think you would receive a fair trial in a court that has this hanging on a wall, No you would not. Christians claim this is proof that they are being discriminated against.

There is a conspiracy against Atheist IMHO in this country brought on by Christians, but really Christians discriminate against Catholics and Muslims, and Hindu's, Agnostics, Gays, Buddha, Abortion Doctors, Evolution Scientists, Scientists, Doctors, Liberals, Moderates.

wow thank God Christianity is a religion based on Love.
Good thread MM flagged and star!!!
[edit on 30-9-2007 by GOD]

[edit on 30-9-2007 by LDragonFire]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Good points, LDF. The more hard-core Christians do seem to discriminate against everyone. What gets my goat is the projection of their own negativity onto those of us who question them.

We're called hateful, angry, bullies, etc. and all we do is question their beliefs. I confess there have been times I've been snippy on the boards towards some of the fundies, but that is AFTER they have started snipping at me -- I'm not a Christian, so I don't believe in turn the other cheek.

IF there had been a real Jesus and IF he really was the son of god then I doubt very much he would be proud of the behavior of some of his more vehement followers.

I find it interesting how speaking up for equal rights gets turned into hate speech on those who are trying to keep all the rights for themselves.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'd like to know where the polls are on 20% atheist when just 3 Months ago (I think) NBC made a pool saying 5% or so where atheists. I've never been one to trust polls, but seeing as NBC is anti-religious and were seen ridiculing the polls they made, I'd go with NBC.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I personally see the continual joining of the Buddhist and Christian Religions. Maybe not literally, but spiritually, they are beginning to believe the same thing.

And as for the number of atheists in America, I can't see the number raising. New polls are out all the time with numbers all over the place but all tend to show an increase in religion.

I'd really like to know where you're poll is from, as NBC, being run by corporate Global Warming mongerers, would hate to see an increase in faithful people, it means less people to control, thus they are not bias.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damien_Hell
As an Atheist I take comfort in knowing that the Atheist population in the US alone is increasing by 1.3 Million a year. I think that number is going to increase eveery year as we find new evidence of religion. So by 2100 we will be by far the majority in America and by 2200 we shall have TAKEN OVER THE WORLD!!

[edit on 30-9-2007 by Damien_Hell]

But in order to enforce such things, we need to prevent other religions from spreading in. One worry I have is the spread of Islam.

People like change, some people become atheist simply because they are sick of the Christianity they are used to. We need to enforce the fact that Islam, nay, Abrahamic religions in general are degenerate, hypocritical, non-progressive, and just plain retarded (mainly Christianity and Islam).

[edit on 9/30/2007 by Kacen]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

the first study i will not acknowledge as it has massive bias
i looked into baylor university, just a quick google search and here's the description i got (the university's own words)

Chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas, Baylor has an enrollment of about 14000 and is the largest Baptist university in the world.

hmmm...

and the second one is over a year old...
good evidence of this being a quote from it

...and only 37 percent said they'd be willing to vote for an atheist for president.

a more recent poll showed that 47% of americans would vote for an atheist
seems like the tides are shifting more rapidly than expected...

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Voting for an atheist and being one are two totally different things. I have a very large faith in God, but would vote for an atheist if he had the right stuff. If there was an atheist candidate who was like Ron Paul or Regan or Patton (yea, I know, not a prez, or candidate) then I would vote for him.

Just because people, like me ( sort of ), are becoming more welcoming of atheists, doesn't mean we are becoming like them.

That's like a Muslim man reading the bible. Is he going to become Christian? I've read the Koran and am not becoming a Muslim, nor anytime soon.

[edit on 1-10-2007 by Gorman91]

Now, quit going off topic, where is this poll you were talking about? Must I Google it myself and guess on it being the right site?

[edit on 1-10-2007 by Gorman91]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
hello? anyone going to show me those pols?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I found one for you:

www.thearda.com...

From this site.

I don't think it's the one MIMS referenced, but I found the link to this page on Baylor's page.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
I found one for you:

www.thearda.com...

From this site.

I don't think it's the one MIMS referenced, but I found the link to this page on Baylor's page.

Once again, this is irrelevant. I would vote for an atheist too, yet I'm not an atheist.

On the site WAS something about belief in God, but it's a few years old.

Still as it always has been, 90% believe in God, a higher power, or something above them. Like I said, only 5% are atheists. There are 5% agnostics, but that is usually split down the middle of which they lean to.

In your opinion, does each of the following exist? a. God
1) Absolutely not 70 (4.2%)
2) Probably not 116 (6.9%)
3) Probably 231 (13.7%)
4) Absolutely 1268 (75.3%)

www.thearda.com...

Another one

www.thearda.com...

The results on this are, however, all over the place. With belief in God being 90%, but belief in afterlife being 75-80%.

In any case, I see a rise in Religion where I live. More people go to church in NY. Years ago, they were empty, now they are full.

You also forgot the fact that most all immigrants are Muslims, Mexican, or Orthodox in faith, the strongest in the faithful of something above them. Likewise, it is questionable if they will ever go atheist. You certainly don't see Russians and Muslims renouncing their faith anytime soon, do you?

[edit on 2-10-2007 by Gorman91]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
You certainly don't see Russians and Muslims renouncing their faith anytime soon, do you?

Yeah, actually. Salman Rushdie is an atheist.

The problem with Muslims coming out as atheists is that they end up like Rushdie -- fatwa and all.

I'd be willing to bet there are a lot more Muslim atheists than Rushdie; he's just the bravest of the brave. And quite a brilliant and funny man, into the bargain.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

the first link you gave, the one with that pie chart, indicates at least 11% of the people polled are atheists...

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Actually, doubting God, is not calming God doesn't exist. I've doubted plenty of times, but always believed. There are around 70% devote, 5% not devote, and 25% in between. When it comes down to the facts, polls don't do much against eyes. When I see an increase in church admissions, and or preachers in the streets (rallys, etc) then that makes all polls obsolete.

The polls also show that the prez has a 14% approval rating. That seems a tad too high to me. I'd estimate it more closer to 5%.

The fact also remains that if religion survived 80 years of the USSR, then I highly doubt it will be destroyed by some guys on computers.

My spelling Suks \/

[edit on 3-10-2007 by Gorman91]

[edit on 3-10-2007 by Gorman91]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
[more ]

Now you're contradicting what you said earlier. You just said that it's the preachers and religious groups that rally in the street, wanting that to happen, but, in one of your earlier posts, you stated that it was the atheists that did it, and complaining about it. So, either both sides are allowed to do it(even though I don't know of any atheist rally, EVER), or neither side can do it. Which is it?
Although, since the bible contradicts itself so many times, maybe it's just your nature as a christian to make no sense.

[edit on 10/4/2007 by supervortex2004]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   

um... ok, maybe 1 or 2 atheist will say "i believe there is no god"

i won't even say that. i DON'T believe in god, that's what an atheist is, anyone who doesn't believe. those with doubt enough not to believe

i would be in the part that said "probably not"
but there is always a possibility that ANY god exists.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
If you don't think there is a conspiracy against atheist and science, read this article.

[news]
Creationists rewrite natural history
Scientists complain about "sins of omission," reports Roger Highfield

The world's best known wildlife broadcaster, Sir David Attenborough, has called on the BBC to stop Christian fundamentalists from deleting references to evolution from his documentaries.

Sir David Attenborough: I am on the side of the biologists

Censored versions of Sir David's award winning programmes have been broadcast in Holland without any references to evolution, speciation, descent and timescales of millions of years, after being censored by Christian creationists who are opposed to Charles Darwin's ideas.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The complete article is here
www.telegraph.co.uk.../earth/2007/10/02/scihist102.xml

I assume they think that if they erase the truth, god will like them more???
I wonder what else they're trying to rewrite?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

But that's not discrimination against atheists. I think that's where I take issue with this entire thread. That example you reference is dishonest tactics by a group of people trying to push their own agenda...it's not discrimination, it's intellectual dishonesty.

In the same vein - now that we have put aside that there are enforcable laws that would prohibit an atheist from running for office - we get to the real discussion that's taking place in this thread: Can an atheist get elected to office? Well, I have no idea. But if one can't, that means the majority of voters who voted (assuming they voted against the atheist because of his beliefs) didn't want an atheist representing them. That's not discrimination - that's choice. Discrimination is the prevention of being voted for, not that people decide to vote for something opposite to what you want. I personally don't believe that a candidate's beliefs should come into play. We're electing them to office based on their knowledge, experience and platform. Now, if their platform threatened freedom of religion, that would be another issue. But I don't care what denomination they are - including atheist.

[edit on 10-4-2007 by Valhall]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Now THAT is interesting. I never would have thought the Dutch, who are so practical and down to earth, would have a faction of young earth creationists.

It's like finding out your granny pole dances on the weekends. Just totally unexpected.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
My opinion is that there is a conspiracy to cover up the truth to push a religious agenda for money and power.

Creationists are the front line personnel.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by supervortex2004

I change in moods, but I think that post was on one about the gays in parades forcing it everywhere. Atheists aren't gays. I see plenty of signs of gays forcing their visions of things on people with parades and education. Atheists do not. But I'm a big supporter of mob rule. Or basically, the majority should decide what parades are good or not. Seeing at the majority changes every 10 years in the US, be it liberal vs Conservative, faithful vs non faithful, or black vs white, then atheist will have their welcomed parades in the future, followed by a backlash of faithful masses growing.

I was angry at the time of that other post after reading the king and king story on the nets, now I'm calmed down. Any who, if the atheists have the numbers, let them rally.

For now the masses are faithful people, so atheist lose out.

Gramar fixers
[edit on 4-10-2007 by Gorman91]

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join