It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UNM violated law flying Mexican flag on its own

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

UNM violated law flying Mexican flag on its own

media .www.dailylobo.com

The Mexican flag was flying over UNM campus unaccompanied by an American flag on U.S. Constitution Day, Sept. 17.

According to the United States Code (federal law): "The flag should be displayed on all days, especially on Constitution Day, September 17. The flag should be displayed daily on or near the main administration building of every public institution .... The flag should be displayed during school days in or near every schoolhouse."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
media.www.dailylobo.com
media.www.dailylobo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It's unfortunate that American academia continues to embrace all other cultures and valuess at the expense of their own. While I do not condone the action of Mr. Lynch it does seem that he went through every conceivable avenue to remedy the situation, and failing that, took matters into his own hands. That has become an increasingly common theme, and that coupled with internet videos seems to provide the impetus for change. On has to wonder why this campus transgression has failed to garner the attention that the University of Florida incident did? Perhaps if Mr. Lynch had uttered the phrase "don't tase my flag, bro" he would have had more success.

media .www.dailylobo.com

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25/9/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Unfortunately, this is what America is turning into. We have this story, and then we have the whole Columbia University story where a dictator was not booed once until he mentioned that there were no homosexuals in his country, everything else was hooray,hooray,hooray...
Our country is rottening from the inside out... Who will stop the bleeding?

[edit on 25-9-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

There's little doubt in my mind that flying the Mexican flag sans U.S. flag accompaniment was to appease the militant faction within the student body who feels that University of New Mexico should really be Universidad de Nuevo México. I'm all for cultural exploration, but this is a case of cultural exploitation... Exploiting a soft spineless university administration into eschewing what is right (making damn sure there was an American flag flying as well); for a small vocal group that will be intolerably annoying if you don't accede to their demands.

I hear yellow is the new black this year.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Mirthful, unfortunately, our role as "the melting pot of the world" is starting to cause us a lot of trouble. Diversity is fine, but when it starts to intrude on our definition of what and who we are, there is a problem.

We are in a situation where we have to try to please everyone... Let's be honest, that's never going to happen. No matter what we do, someone is going to be unhappy. It is a problem that we have created for ourselves due to our own ignorance, I suppose.

We naively thought that we could allow all cultures and ethnic groups into our country and still maintain what we were; the truth is, we can't. We have two options in my opinion...

1. We will either continue to allow this kind of stuff to go on and lose all sense of nationality... This, at the present moment, seems to be the most likely scenario.

Or

2. We will wind up becoming an isolationist state, where immigration into our country will be minuscule.

Either way, it's probably not going to be a very happy ride for the U.S.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
We are in a situation where we have to try to please everyone...

We have been put in a situation, created by the government, where the gov't has to please big corporations....

No matter what we do, someone is going to be unhappy. It is a problem that we have created for ourselves due to our own ignorance, I suppose.

No matter what the gov't does, we the taxpaying citizens are going to be unhappy. It is a burden the gov't has put upon the citizens due to their collective greed and relying on the citizenry's ignorance, as we all know.

Just these few changes to your fine post and you know where I stand,

You and I didn't create this problem if we focus on the reality of this crisis we are in, it is easy to see that it is due to the ambitions of the "power and money hungry" in our country.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Jack, what you said is indeed true. However, we as American citizens have allowed it to happen. Whether we did it because we actually thought it would do the world good or just to "feel good about ourself," I don't know.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Some quote 1 Corinthians 3:17, which says that God will destroy someone who "defiles" the temple of the Holy Spirit. Yet, there is disagreement about what it means to defile the temple. Does this include suicide? Does it include illicit drug abuse (slow suicide), prescription drug abuse, cigarettes (deliberately breathing in poisons that will eventually kill), tattoos, over-eating (digging a grave with your spoon), or alcohol abuse?

God forbid that we add to the pain of someone who has lost a loved one through the tragedy of suicide, by making a judgment about their eternal destiny. God is the ultimate Judge, and we should therefore leave the issue in His hands. It would be wise to follow the biblical example and not come to any verdict in the case of suicide.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Actually I am under the impression that alot of the first immigrants to this country were mistreated, used for low wage labor, and in some case indentured servants. While the immigrants rolled in, it wasn't a rosy scenario.

Talk about some tough people, we need more of these types around today instead of the mealy mouthed spoiled brats who have never had dirt under their fingernails.

I see alot of citizens today who do not appreciate the opportunities that our country has to offer, most built on the sweat of the immigrants of days gone by.

Of course this was way back, but it happened, you are right that for the most part, we citizens appreciate the fact that our country is a melting pot and that in principle, still one of the finest countries to come to if you want a fair chance.

Having said this, I will not in any way take any of the blame for what the gov't has done to our immigration system and the situation our nation is in because of those we elected.

This problem is over 30 years in the making...
....and 30 years ignored by our elected government.

That is why it is not a surprise when MM posts a story that our nation's flag has been disrespected by one of our universities of higher learning.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
That is why it is not a surprise when MM posts a story that our nation's flag has been disrespected by one of our universities of higher learning.

The real disrespect to our flag comes from some of the twenty some odd examples I saw during my commute to work today including some notable locations as a dumpster, a trailer hitch cover between two naked lady mudflaps, a check cashing store, a Wal-Mart (don't forget those little Chinese manufactured Old Glorys at the checkstand), and on the bumper of a gas-guzzling H2.

If UNM were being honest it would have flown the Saudi or Chinese flag.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The university claims that it was a misunderstanding that led to the Mexican flag being displayed on its own.

I couldn't find a link to the Albuquerque Journal article, but it claimed that three separate groups raised the state flag, the US flag, and the Mexican flag.

The two groups that raised the state and US flags lowered theirs at sunset, but the campus group that had raised the Mexican flag forgot, or something like that and that the flag flew was unaccompanied through the weekend.

Frankly, I'm not buying the forgot story, although I think perhaps the university might have been snookered on this one.

At any rate, it was wrong and the university should have been extremely contrite, but I think that might be an unreasonable expectation in today's political climate.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
i was gunna say the students raise and lower the flags just like at the high schools the ROTC raises and lowers the flags everyday however i hang out with a lot of chicanos and mexicanos and live in new mexico i can see someone purposefully leaving it up as a joke at a pep ralyl me and some of mi cholo friends ran through the auditorium with a mexican flag and we werent trying to lay claim of the auditorium for mexico we were jsut doing something we could laugh about later ((espescially me cause im white and i helped them run with a mexican flag) anyways viva la nuevo mexico cinco cero cinco baby!

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Actually I am under the impression that alot of the first immigrants to this country were mistreated, used for low wage labor, and in some case indentured servants. While the immigrants rolled in, it wasn't a rosy scenario.

Talk about some tough people, we need more of these types around today instead of the mealy mouthed spoiled brats who have never had dirt under their fingernails.

I see alot of citizens today who do not appreciate the opportunities that our country has to offer, most built on the sweat of the immigrants of days gone by.

I really can't say that I disagree. Americans are spoiled and I would venture to say that about 70% of the population wouldn't even survive today if another depression occurred. We have grown much too soft.

With that being said, we live in a system where those who, in some cases, are not even citizens here have more say than those that were born here. I think that is wrong. Anytime you start flying a foreign nation's flag in place of your own, I think that points toward a complete collapse of the system.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
It's unfortunate that American academia continues to embrace all other cultures and valuess at the expense of their own. While I do not condone the action of Mr. Lynch it does seem that he went through every conceivable avenue to remedy the situation, and failing that, took matters into his own hands. That has become an increasingly common theme, and that coupled with internet videos seems to provide the impetus for change.

As a Canadian who treasures the US Constitution, I have always been surprised by the lack of observance and celebration on Constitution Day in the USA. Surely it should be a national holiday of significance. Shouldn't it?

This particular situation doesn't get the widespread coverage that the Florida incident did because of multiple accounts of taser abuse by police as well as the presence of a U.S. Senator at the incident in Florida.

But also there is a perverse logic at work in the USA media that says if one criticises anything to do with Mexicans then one must be a racist. I have never encountered Americans of Mexican background who feel that way, but rather it seems to be a disease of the "Look how liberal and non-racist I am" crowd that cloyingly goes to absurd lengths to defend the ridiculous.

Fake liberalism with a lack of understanding of the US Constitution goes hand in hand these days with neo-conservatism with a similar lack of understanding of the US Constitution. One will fly a foreign flag; the other will parade the US flag. Neither understand the Constitution or the meaning of their republic beyond slogans, bumper stickers, newsbites, and jingoism.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

And to take it one step further, those that express outrage at an incident such as this, would also be the first to cheer as an American flag was being desecrated.

They would also be the ones to hide behind the skirt of the ACLU when the heat got turned up on them.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

There's little doubt in my mind that flying the Mexican flag sans U.S. flag accompaniment was to appease the militant faction within the student body who feels that University of New Mexico should really be Universidad de Nuevo México. I'm all for cultural exploration, but this is a case of cultural exploitation... Exploiting a soft spineless university administration into eschewing what is right (making damn sure there was an American flag flying as well); for a small vocal group that will be intolerably annoying if you don't accede to their demands.

I hear yellow is the new black this year.

Fine with me comply with their requests, but with that comes consequences.

No Federal, state, or local tax monies to be funneled to the institution, they must secure all funding via private channels. Everything is all good until you take away the tax money, then everyone screams discriminations.

USA schools are funded by US tax payers, not Mexican tax payers, when the Mexican government decides to pay all the bills at UNM, then I would say "go for it" until then follow the rules.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pellevoisin

But also there is a perverse logic at work in the USA media that says if one criticises anything to do with Mexicans then one must be a racist. I have never encountered Americans of Mexican background who feel that way, but rather it seems to be a disease of the "Look how liberal and non-racist I am" crowd that cloyingly goes to absurd lengths to defend the ridiculous.

Yep, it is all part of the politically correct movement in this country. You can't say what you really think anymore because you are automatically labeled disgraceful things when you do...

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Maybe if we were not spending our tax monies to educate Illegal immigrints,you know paying for them to go to collages, This kind of things would'nt happen

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Well that's what you get with a country that embraces multiculturalism and mass immigration. Only way to fix this problem is to close our doors and booting out all non-citizens.

Sure our country was founded by immigrants, but not immigrants from South America, Asia, or Africa. These people have never done anything for our country except leech our resources and steal our jobs. Now, I'm probably starting to sound a bit racist, but perhaps we need to be a little racist in order to assure that our country is not destroyed from within.

Believe me, if you think our country hasn't been invaded yet, think again. Ever since we opened our doors to the world, we have been invaded by the largest multinational occupational force the world has ever seen.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Here is an interesting assessment...

When you look for blame... there's plenty. When you look for fault, it lies squarely with the Mexican Student Association. After all, they were responsible for leaving the Mexican flag flying Friday night. A flag that continued to fly solo over the weekend and was only lowered after Ryan Lynch removed it for them.

It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

-U.S. Flag Code

Since the flag poles in question are not illuminated, the first "desecration" of the Mexican national flag actually occurred Friday night when the MSA failed to remove the Mexican flag. It was repeated both Saturday and Sunday night as it continued to fly over UNM without deference to the flag of the United States; which by the way should have never been allowed by the university.

eyeonalbuquerque.blogspot.com...

I wonder when the Mexican Student Association will be hauled before the court of public opinion and get the drubbing they so richly deserve for the desecration of their own flag.

Oh, the outrage...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join