It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you do if a cop asks to see your I.D?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I was recently asked to show I.D after they knocked on a relatives door? I replied "I don't think so!" and then asked "Why I had to show it" and who "authorized it". The cop said he had the authority, and instead of arguing with him about whether he did or not, I closed the door, got my ID, came back and showed him. There was a legitimate robbery suspect in the building they were after, and I got the cops information. Did I do the right thing? Nothing nefarious in this situation, but what circumstances should you or should you not show I.D?

I have a feeling in the coming NWO control net, we will have to show our papers at every turn, everywhere, when is the time to say NO?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
withholding id is a crime the only thing you HAVE to do is either show the police your id or provide them with your name and SSN other than that you dont have to answer any of there questions but they have to run you to see if you got warrants

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
never a good idea to refuse to show your i.d. . I tried this once and they threatened to arrest me and impound my car. So i gave them my i.d. I guess if i was up to it, i could have let them arrest me, but i don't think its worth it.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It's all about the context.

In many states, driving on public roads is a privilege, not a right, and they have the legal authority to ask for ID, if they have probable cause; which again varies by jurisdiction.

There are analogous issues when it comes to homes, and your right to be left alone, versus society's need to stop crime.

There is a trend among law enforcement agencies across the US, for officers to identify themselves first, then explain the cause of their request, then ask you to comply. The simple fact is, most people, including criminals, are more likely to comply when it is explained to them.

Texas DPS uses a rehearsed statement along the lines of "I'm officer so-and-so of the TX DPS, and the reason I stopped you is because you were exceeding the speed limit. I need to see (or please show me) your license and proof of insurance. . . .

The difference between "I need" and "please show me" has to do with the level of authority a police officer has in a given situation; road v. private property, etc.

In TX, the same kind of stuff comes up when seeking a fugative. Many agencies have their officers identify themselves, then explain the search:

"I'm officer s0-and-so. We are seeking a suspect in a violent crime that just occured in this block. I need to verify the persons in this home. Is this your residence? I need to see ID with your address on it. Is anyone matching this description here . . . .? Do you have any visitors, or have you noticed anything suspicious in the last 10 minutes?"

Most people, even ones that don't like police, will cooperate completely, once you make it clear that you're not looking for their stash.

It also opens up an avenue for the person to communicate the presence of someone hiding in the next room, etc.

At any rate, it is possible for police to get cooperation, without frightening people, or disclosing information that could alter an investigation, etc. It's a slow trend, but one that is gaining momentum with criminal justice students.

That said, there is always a shortage of quality cops.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Piss on 'em...no warrant = no compliance when it comes to a private residence.

Public property or in vehicle and ya gotta do it.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
You don't have to open your door without a warrent.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Amelie

I"d suggest you call your family lawyer and ask him. I can't fathom why you'd ask this on a conspiracy board.

Generally in a private residence you do not have to open the door without a warrant and if you have a letter chute, they can slide the warrant through there. After all how do you know they're really cops?

I'd go so far as to say it was foolhardy to open the door without knowing they were cops. If pressed tell them you're calling 911 and you want their badge numbers before you let them in. Then call 911 and say you think there are people who may be posing as cops insisting on coming in and checking your ID in a private residence.

Since the conversations are recorded, I'd doubt if they'd be willing to expose themselves to 4th Amendment issues on tape. Ask to speak to the office-in-charge and get his name and badge number.

Of course I reiterate, check with your family lawyer and let us know what he says, since he will be familiar with laws in your jurisdiction.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Google "Are you detaining me"

www.dis.org...

Bottom line: There is no requirement to carry or show I.D. Your papers, please... yet. But it's stupid to go without.

If you match the description of a criminal believed to be in the area, you WILL be hauled away. There WILL be a criminal working in the area if you don't show ID. If you don't have any wants or warrants, do yourself a favor and show the ID. Better to give them a small victory than a big victory.

Learn the "Are you detaining me" stuff in the link above. Takes the wind right out of their sails. They are required by a Supreme Court decision to answer yes or no immediately. Typically you have to ask 3 times. Again, let them have their small victory.

Check out your town here. You may be surprised: ( Note: nasty language, major attitudes at this site )

www.badcopnews.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Cops don't need a warrant to knock on your door. Refuse if you want, but if there IS a legitimate crime in progress . . . . 95% of the public is more interested in stopping a neighborhood crime than in arguing over what constitutes security in their person and effects.

On the flip side, in a genuine emergency, a bill with your name on it shown through the screen door, and the cop is already off to the neighbor's front door.

A Leo doesn't NEED a warrant if they have probable cause, the definition of which varies with jurisdiction and circumstance. A cop who believes a felon has fled into your home doesn't NEED a warrant.

If I saw police going door to door this way, I would guess they are "making a ruckus" to flush any perp, and also to sort of alert you to the danger to you. Also, if you're being held hostage, this is the time for you to start winking at the cop and pointing to the hallway closet.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
If the police ask you for I.D., you show it to them. Refusing, in todays world, is liable to get you arrested as an enemy combatant.
If they knocked on a door and you opened it, they have the right to ask you to identify yourself.
FYI, in most places in the US: Police are trained to do a visual search from that point, whereas if they see anything that is "suspect" in plain sight, they can enter the premises to retrieve said item. It will give them the authority to escalate the scene and further search based on probable cause of a crime scene.
With all these crazy laws being passed, the best practice is to have who ever comes a knocking identify themselves before you open the door, and make sure you close that ATS window...

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
all states have different laws regarding the need to show id to an LEO. here in pa i DO NOT have to carry id on me unless i am in the act of having to prove my age- i.e. buying cigarettes, alcohol etc, and of course driving. just walking down the street i don't have to have any id and a LEO has no right to even ask for it if i am doing nothing wrong- that is an illegal detainment/search/seizure. as for a private residence you do not have to open the door if they ask. they also have no right to come onto private property and ask if you are allowed to be there without a complaint from the owner. when i carry my pistols i MUST have my ccw permiton me- it is 1 year auto in jail if i don't have it. but all being said and done with all the complaints about cops on here why be an ass? just show them and be on your way and don't answer any questions- we know how much they love to twist the truth. i would be leery of opening my door tho for someone i didn't know without THEIR proper id. and it IS your right to ask why you are being questioned/detained and they MUST answer you as to why. i think it is better to just be polite- not provoke them and let them have their power trip

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I am a law abiding citizen. No wants, no warrants, no priors. Grew up in an irish/italian neighborhood in Cleveland. Half my old school friends are cops. Cops are people just like you and me. In fact I got out of a couple jams being polite and reasonable. Now if it was Cheney/Bush asking me what my favorite color was I'd tell 'em to go pound salt.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amelie
I was recently asked to show I.D after they knocked on a relatives door? I replied "I don't think so!" and then asked "Why I had to show it" and who "authorized it". The cop said he had the authority, and instead of arguing with him about whether he did or not, I closed the door, got my ID, came back and showed him. There was a legitimate robbery suspect in the building they were after, and I got the cops information. Did I do the right thing? Nothing nefarious in this situation, but what circumstances should you or should you not show I.D?

I have a feeling in the coming NWO control net, we will have to show our papers at every turn, everywhere, when is the time to say NO?

Show it to them, they need it for their paperwork. If you make life difficult for the cop then he surely won't make things any easier for you. Sometimes you have to make a few concessions and this is a minor one which could help you out by putting the cop in a more relaxed frame of mind.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I got stoped getting off a train and had a pass that was expired and they asked me for my id. I said I didn't have it, and the surrounded me slowly and the guy was all "I see it in your bag" Oh well got me.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
well idonno you could always try running it works sometimes and if all else fails try the do all end all for excuses "no habla enclish" then once they realize theyve deported a american citizen theyll have to let you go...thats alot of stuff to go through just to not show them your id

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Cops don't need a warrant to knock on your door.

Excuse me? Of course they don't to knock on your door, but they do need one to come in unless they hear gunshots within or something similar - then they won't knock, they'll break the door down.

Remember we're talking about what's allowed and permissible, not what a rational person might do to comply.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
You should not show your ID to a "cop" who does not present his credentials first without hesitant (like fbi or something.) Also take care to look at his badge, if it is not mounted on his uniform ask to see it first before presenting.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1-10-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Show it in fear of being tazered! I dunno if I claim to not have one, they'd ask for birth certificate and or finger prints. I dislike it when minding your own business or even asking a question they want ID. Even though I have nothing to hide.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
Show it in fear of being tazered! I dunno if I claim to not have one, they'd ask for birth certificate and or finger prints. I dislike it when minding your own business or even asking a question they want ID. Even though I have nothing to hide.

Don't taze me bro! Cops use too much unauthorized force these days. On fox news only 25% of people said that cop used too much force. BS in my opinion. It takes 9 cops and a tazer to handcuff someone? BS. 2 Cops could have had that kid under control. The only reason he was arrested is because most cops are 'far left' and were defending sen john. Sen john was going to answer the question! "Please let me answer his question". So big deal he asked a question that maybe should not have been asked in school, regardless, it was a valid question, he was given free speech, and it should have been answered. Oh god, here they come to taze!! Freedom is dead. Off topic but... Humm, maybe you should show your ID if your being tazed! hehe!

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
if you dont have a ID theyll ask for your name and your SSN and then theyll run it through the station i dont even own a ID and i seem to end up at alot of crime scenes....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join