It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Does Far Worse Than Ignore Gays

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Iran Does Far Worse Than Ignore Gays

www.foxnews.com

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s seemingly ridiculous claim that "we don’t have homosexuals, like in your country" masks the cruel reality that his government does far worse than ignore gays, human rights groups charge.

"There are criminal laws on the books in Iran that allows for people to be killed for being homosexual," said Paula Ettelbrick, executive director of the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-9-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The leader of Iran needs to admit to more than just having no gays in Iran.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Looks like they...

Lassoed the problem.

I've never quite figured out why the Iran apologists (mostly liberals) embrace such fundamentalist conservative regime?

[edit on 25/9/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s seemingly ridiculous claim that "we don’t have homosexuals, like in your country"

He might have a point though. You've got to admit that a gay person is going to stay "closeted" in such a society.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
He might have a point though. You've got to admit that a gay person is going to stay "closeted" in such a society.

That's exactly what I got from his answer, not the fact that homosexuality doesn't exist at all in Iran. That doesn't make it right mind you, but it's no reason to go to war. It's a sovereign country with it's own ideology.

Peace

[edit on 25-9-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

This news wasn't released to make a case for war. This news was released to demonize the enemy. This news serves the same function the "Two-minute hate" does in the book 1984.

Anything to make the enemy look more evil. Anything to build support so that when war breaks out, the people will find it... acceptable.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

I've never quite figured out why the Iran apologists (mostly liberals) embrace such fundamentalist conservative regime?

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. No matter if my friend do the same as my enemy.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
You're right Beach! After the first part of your reply I was thinking to myself "but don't the two go hand in hand", but after reading the last part, you're right.

Definitely for demonization purposes.

Peace

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Off topic for a moment...

On a thread a while back with a Gay theme, the same Ad appeared on the sidebar as on this one with a bare chested "Jock". Is that intentional or merely coincidental?

If I start a thread about Glamour models can I expect a similar Ad on the sidebar with a gorgeous bit of totty?

Mmmmm.....

Anyhoos.. back on topic.

This whole holier than thou attitude begins to stink a bit when one considers all the homophobic Christians in our western nations. It's almost as if it's ok for them to preach that being gay is an abomination but for any other country to do so is against human rights.
What about the women? How much exploitation goes on in our western countries? Forced prostitution, trafficking, beatings and murders of women?

Perhaps we should try to clear up our own acts before condemning others first, or is it too unsavoury to admit that these things go on in our wonderful nations?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Definitely for demonization purposes.

As it should be.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

I agree with what you say, but also 2 wrongs don't make a right.

This is about human rights, all human don't matter if it is here or there. The demonization aspect, well coming from Fox News you could not expect the less, is one of those things that had he been more detail in his answer, meaning no room for interpretation or misinterpretation could have been easily avoided.

I don't indulge myself in conspiracies to much, but it looks to me that everything that comes from the Iranian President mouth just add more fuel to the fire, can this guys be arranging a War? Selling it on bothe sides? Hmmm....

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

That's exactly what I got from his answer, not the fact that homosexuality doesn't exist at all in Iran.

Is that why he said "We don't have that phenomenon here"? That translates into=homosexuality not existing here.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Perhaps we should try to clear up our own acts before condemning others first, or is it too unsavoury to admit that these things go on in our wonderful nations?

When we hang or stone gay people...then we will stop condemning Iran for doing so.
Otherwords, your statement is irrelevant.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
When we hang or stone gay people...then we will stop condemning Iran for doing so.
Otherwords, your statement is irrelevant.

+1

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

That's exactly what I got from his answer, not the fact that homosexuality doesn't exist at all in Iran.

Is that why he said "We don't have that phenomenon here"? That translates into=homosexuality not existing here.

Not to me it doesn't. It means that homosexuality is not an "open" practice in Iran. The guy is an educated individual, that means he isn't stupid(he KNOWS gays exist in Iran). He's also an able debater, I think what he said was EXACTLY what he meant.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Off topic for a moment...

On a thread a while back with a Gay theme, the same Ad appeared on the sidebar as on this one with a bare chested "Jock". Is that intentional or merely coincidental?

If I start a thread about Glamour models can I expect a similar Ad on the sidebar with a gorgeous bit of totty?

Mmmmm.....

Anyhoos.. back on topic.

Funny you should mention that. I noticed that with other topics. If you look at the ads in the right sidebar, you will see certain words in the posts that correspond to it. Try it in other threads.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hmm.

It was only the late 60's and early 70's when gays and lesbians started to get rights in the US, wasn't it?

I'd wager that people were being hung less than 60 years ago in the US for being gay in some of the "lesser educated" parts of the country.

See. The problem with condemnation is that you can only really do it if you are squeaky clean. And lets face it, our "civilised" society is built on the wreckage of many an idea we had previously.

The Iranian way is different from the Western Way. Maybe Iran lags behind in certain sections of its culture when compared to what we see as the norm. Does that make it wrong? And who are we to judge? What made us perfect?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by IrvingTheExplainer

Off topic:

It's how GoogleAds works. If you noticed, when you load a page on ATS it also connects to google-analytics.com. That server analyses the content and makes sure relevant ads are displayed, based on the keywords it finds. This is how targeted advertising works, and why Google is the Internet Ad King now.

On topic:

Nothing. Yet.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
It was only the late 60's and early 70's when gays and lesbians started to get rights in the US, wasn't it?

I'd wager that people were being hung less than 60 years ago in the US for being gay in some of the "lesser educated" parts of the country.

I would wager that they were not being hung less than 60 years ago.

The Iranian way is different from the Western Way. Maybe Iran lags behind in certain sections of its culture when compared to what we see as the norm. Does that make it wrong?

Yes, because how old is Iran?
It only took the U.S. 200+ years to get to our present way of life. Iran has had over 1000 years. They should know better by now.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by 4thDoctorWhoFan]

Mod Note: You Have An Urgent U2U- Click Here.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad clearly has no problem with gays. He kisses men all the time. He is gay.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join