It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Find Swastika Cut Into Acres Of N.J. Cornfield

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Police Find Swastika Cut Into Acres Of N.J. Cornfield

www.nbc10.com

Back behind the towering corn is a message that can only be seen from the air.

It is one of the most infamous symbols of hate -- a swastika -- cut into acres of cornfields in Washington Township, Mercer County.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I find this story interesting as the swastika is clearly presented as a "symbol of hate". However, if you look at the picture, you can see it does not face left, as the swastika used by the Nazis did, but to the right, just as countless more examples found used by many cultures world wide.

en.wikipedia.org...

Are we to believe that the evil fascist hate mongers are ignorant even when it comes to their own symbols, or is this an example of simplistic knee jerk reactions in the media?

I don't profess to know the intentions of the creators of this symbol. However, just by comparing the symbol cut in to the crop with any picture of a Nazi swastika, can the difference be clearly seen.

Any thoughts?

www.nbc10.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Perhaps it was a test, to gauge public awareness of the real swastika?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Implosion

That swastika is in the direction of the Nazi one:

[edit on 9/25/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion

Are we to believe that the evil fascist hate mongers are ignorant even when it comes to their own symbols, or is this an example of simplistic knee jerk reactions in the media?

I'm going to say that yes, they were ignorant of it. How many times have you seen stupid kids put a swastika on a bathroom wall or carve it into a desktop. Not because they hate anyone unpure, but because they want to get a rise out of someone.

Someone who doesn't know the difference, but wants to get a rise would likely pull a stupid stunt like this.

Besides, who cares about the swastika anymore anyway. It's become such a silly and pointless symbol to me that it holds no meaning whatsoever (in the supposed offensive way at least.)

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
i thought that nazi skinhead stuff went out in the 80's...seems like some folks are trying to bring this garbage back...

[only reason i call the sign garbage.. is because what it is related to... not german people... but the hitler type.]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I'm going to say that yes, they were ignorant of it.

As is everyone else in this thread apparently.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

Perhaps what he meant was in relation to the field.

But it's probably just some kids who wanted to try their hands at crop-circle making; they might have figured it was easier to just do a straight-lined symbol like the swastika.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I find this story interesting as the swastika is clearly presented as a "symbol of hate". However, if you look at the picture, you can see it does not face left, as the swastika used by the Nazis did, but to the right, just as countless more examples found used by many cultures world wide.

I agree completely. Nothing gets blown out of proportion more than the swastika symbol. How come no one complains about the eagle all over the place on federal buildings? Wasn't the eagle also a symbol of Nazi Germany? It must be evil too! Does the art on the dollar bill encourage genocide?

My favorite quote from the article:

"If it's kids and they get caught, I hope that they are made to sit down for three or four days and research the history of the meaning of that symbol. Maybe they'll learn something from it," Pica said.

Yes they should sit down and learn that it is an ancient symbol of good fortune found in cultures all over the world. That'll teach them how wrong it is to put that symbol on anything in America!

I'll agree when it is used as vandalism then it is obviously hate mongering. What if it was just placed in the field by the owner to help the wheat grow? Is there any crime here other than crime of being too politically sensitive on the part of everyone flapping their lips about how bad it is?

Jon

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

You're dead right.

How embarrassing...

Disregard everything I said. I'm obviously wrong.

I have no idea how I got that wrong you know, I looked at swastikas, I compared, and then when I post, oh look, I'm dead wrong.

I guess it's just one of those days.

[edit on 25/9/07 by Implosion]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I guess it's just one of those days.

No problem, I've had many of those days myself.

As far as the swastika itself, I'm not really sure what to make of it. Perhaps some people were just trying to make a crop circle and used that shape to draw more attention to it. Or it could have been meant as a hate symbol.

I think the only way to find out is to determine who created it. In any case, it is a violation of the property owner's rights (unless of course he did it himself).

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
[satire]

I don't know if it a coincidence, but I stumbled upon a gaggle of Albino crows on my property raising cain and all kinds of noise and kickin over my cornstalks. As soon as they noticed I was there, they clammed up quick like they were planning something...

...I started flailin my arms and screaming like a madman, this must have startled the gang as they took flight...

....Once in the air, they headed northeast......

.....a beeline to New Jersey
[/satire]

To the point, yes it is a symbol with a bad recent history, a hateful history, one that still stirs emotion. If it was kids, they will find out sooner or later because you know kids cannot keep quiet about their pranks, especially when it hits the nationwide news.

If it isn't kids, then I would consider it a hate crime because adults should know better, and hopefully the perpetrators are turned in to face justice.

[satire]Has anyone brought up the possibility of NAZI Aliens?

They have been known to produce this type of work on crops.
[/satire]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Has anyone brought up the possibility of NAZI Aliens?

Don't laugh.

Haven't you ever seen V? They were reptilian nazi aliens!

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Similar situation to a bunch of white supremacists in white blankets like KKK using the Confederate flag to promote racism and hatred.

The use of the symbols has been abused.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

You are kidding me, no I haven't seen V, so it could be true?

(walks to the window, peeks up at the sky....
)

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The only charge I can think of would be vandalism. It'll give a bunch of cops overtime and a reward will be offered and a couple of stupid kids will get convicted of probably just being butt stupid.

mikell

apc

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
So it's true! Clearly the authors of (Star Trek) Enterprise were trying to tell us something...

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
reply to post by Implosion

[edit on 9/25/2007 by djohnsto77]

It's not rotated in the same direction as the NAZI "swastika" is...

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Hmmmm this is one of those threads where I question wether I should even attempt to educate people or simply allow them to continue to live in fear of symbolism

Orientation is insignificant as in both configurations this most ancient of symbols means good fortune or good luck. It can be found in many cultures from the Mayan to the Aryan. Going abit deeper it can be said that it meant "star" or "swirling cosmos" to the ancients and this can be gathered through the study of these ancient religions.

The Nazi's adopted the symbol along with the term Aryan which simply means ancient peoples from the area of modern day Iran.

Funny how that happens. I often ask friends and family what they think when they see a swastika

The nazi's even went so far as to adopt the salute that the U.S. used while saying the pledge of allegiance although that was also similar to the roman salute.

Bellamy Salute - wiki entry

Knowledge is power and it seems that the white supremist are rather weak indeed

Oh I could rant on about the swastika as I have a friend who does an unhealthy amount of research into symbolism and just loves to educate me yet I will save you all the details as it is best when we do our own homework...

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
are we sure some Hindu or Buddhist farmers didn't have too much time on their hands? Perhaps the farmers were praying for a prosperous season?

The article assumes that the symbol is the Nazi swastika of hate and yes it does seem odd that there would be a swastika in a Jersey cornfield. But without knowing who exactly did it and what their motivation was, it really isn't worth the speculation because honestly it just shows how ignorant people are of symbols.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join