It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: CONTACT LOST WITH SPIRIT ROVER

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
NO PROBLEM!

Since when does NASA/JPL/NSA etc. need working spacecraft to generate pictures from "space"?? The studio execs in California will be in meetings today and can't approve any of the latest Artwork.

That's all. So chill.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tr
...damned terrorists.

They're always causing trouble. LMAO!

It's really sad that such a serious term now provokes such laughter from within.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I sure would hate to be on that first manned mission to mars
...How many days you think they will last before.."losing communication"

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
just watch nasatv on the right times to stay informed.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Mars rover dying the day Bush goes to Roswell, NM.... Coincidence?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I bet it fell into a lake

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
SPIRIT UPDATE: - Jan 22, 2004, 10:35 am PST
The Mars Exploration Rover Spirit radioed a beep Thursday morning confirming that it had received a transmission from Earth. Still, it has not returned any data since early Wednesday. Flight-team engineers for NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Project are working to diagnose the cause of communications difficulties.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Here's a thought that I don;t believe any one has posted...seems like the rovers always have problems on Mars, perhaps, there is some composition in the soil , atmosphere (what little there may be) etc etc and they short out, or the power gets drained away. They start out fine, then a couple of days later..nada.....
Just a thought (I know,keep them to myself right?)

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Martians took it!!!
story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20040122/ts_nm/space_mars_dc

Spirit project manager Pete Theisinger told a news briefing that there was a "very serious anomaly" in communications with the six-wheeled craft, which landed on Mars on Jan. 3 on a planned three-month mission to explore the geologic history of the planet.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Rumor has it the anomaly is a 3 foot tall green man with big eyes and a tin foil hat!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
just like here maybe there is quicksand.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Here's what I bet happened. The Rover found something of exra terrestrial origin and the dark government shut it down so the public wouldn't be able to see the pictures.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
From the BBC article it sounds as though the last command sent (the "incomplete one), could have experienced some bit-flips that resulted in a bad-bad reaction.

There was a CME earlier in the week that hit earth this morning (1:30 GMT).

spaceweather.com...

This could have played into things.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
NASA press release from around 4:30pm EST:
marsrovers.nasa.gov...

"Spirit did send a radio signal via NASA's Mars Global Surveyor orbiter Wednesday evening, but the transmission did not carry any data. Spirit did not make radio contact with NASA's Mars Odyssey during a scheduled session two hours later or during another one Thursday morning. It also did not respond to the first two attempts Thursday to elicit an acknowledgment signal with direct communications between Earth and the rover, and it did not send a signal at a time pre-set for doing so when its computer recognizes certain communication problems. The successful attempt to get a response signal came shortly before 9 a.m. Pacific Standard Time."

Contact hasn't been lost, it's just not communicating properly right now.
It's still pretty serious, as no one knows exactly why the data transmissions aren't happening, but it's responding.

-B.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
How convenient!

Have anyone looked into the date and time when the pictures were taken and measured them against the Martian clock? I would love to see night time pictures from Mars, hopefully with Earth and other planets included in the scenario so we can verify the positions of the planets against the constellations etc. But perhaps they don't have this backdrop at Area 52....

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
I wonder if it's just suffering from cell phone syndrome and is in a bad service area.
Just a thought.

Can you hear me now? hello? Can you hear me now?

I bet Osama found it and kicked it

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Everything we send to Mars....well....

www.beagle2.com...

It no work either.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
what if Russia stole it?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Well, at least it made it and took some pictures! I hope they diagnose the problem, and get it fixed, however they do that? Ah, computers....

4 more days and the other one lands on the other side of Mars. If that one fails to, then what fate that would be.....

Lol, maybe the aliens didn't want it there.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
They are going to retry tommorow to reattain contact. I would say that if they are unsuccessful things are looking very grim for the rover.

Engineers are preparing to listen for signals and possibly send commands to restore normal communication with the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit during the martian day that begins about 3 a.m. PST Friday.

marsrovers.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join