The Ultimate Survival Home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I just found this on the BBC and I thought I'd share it with this forum:

Missile base on sale as ideal home

It is the ideal home for an aspiring James Bond villain, or an anxious survivalist seeking a refuge that can withstand an atomic bomb.

A former US intercontinental ballistic missile base - with a network of underground tunnels and silos, but no nuclear warheads - is on sale on eBay for $1.5m (£750,000, 1.06m euros).

Located in a remote corner of Washington state and still ringed by its original barbed-wire-topped fence, the 56-acre site is being marketed as a "gorgeous" property and potential resort.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ideal or overkill?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Wow!! I wonder what the property taxes are on that bad baby!

jules

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Another such location is Silohome. There are tons of these, and I do want one.

I make $9.20 an hour though.

I once found a house for sale with a 4 story bunker built into its basement. It had blast doors, food storage facilities, a generator, and everything. It was all made by one guy without any government help or interference. The price was much less than I've ever seen a completed nuclear missile silo selling for, and it was less conspicuous looking on the outside as well.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

Better get a second job; huh
Maybe there is EZ seller financing...

Jules

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
When you consider what you are buying.....this "bunker home" is really quite a deal. Huge acreage, a traditional home pales in comparison to the square footage.

If I had a "few million" in the bank ('sigh'), I'd probably jump at the chance to purchase this bunker home. I've viewed other "alternative" homes built from missile silos and bunkers and I've always been attracted to them.

Typically, you get some incredible features; i.e., blast doors, massive amounts of storage space, elevators, independent water pumping systems, air filters, and geo thermal heating/cooling. Being former military establishments, the mechanics are generally in good repair. It's a lot of BANG for your buck (pun intended).

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Usually the underground command and control centers are big enough to make a house out of, leaving the silos for whatever use you wanted.

The Missile Base

There's the link to the actual site being mentioned in the news article. Just think, you could probably house your entire family and close friends in the power dome and control dome. You could convert one of the silos to a recreational facility, one of the other buildings could be reserved for expanding population of your base. One of the equipment terminal buildings could hold supplies for setting up a solar or wind farm once the smoke clears on the surface, and maybe one of the six story antenna silos could be modified to convert geothermal energy into useable power.

Everything else could house massive hydroponic labs for food and oxygen production.

www.missilebases.com...
More silos for sale :-)

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I think I'd live in fear that somewhere in some enemy computer it was still a target. Sounds like a lot of trouble and expense just to place yourself at ground zero. If we come under martial law, remember who built it in the first place. Did they include back doors that only they know about? Will they have plans to take it back to use as a concentration camp or maybe even a death camp? Maybe they even left a "fail safe" type means of self destruction in place.
I think I'd rather be someplace less well known. Makes a great fantasy though.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SemperParatus

I never thought of it that way. You make an interesting point, though.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I once saw something on the History Channel about people who turn their houses into bunkers and they have secret entrances and rooms all over the place. I was very impressed, its a shame that my house is pretty old (built in 1909) and its very expensive to even redo the electric wiring much less build a bunker!

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Dang this is something. lots of land and even more protection then you could ask for. It would be a great investment for anyone. Its to bad though I don't have that kind of money other wise i's snap it up in heart beat.

It would be a great place for An ark type facility. I sure there are enough folks here at ats who be interested, maybe. Well If that thing can house up to 1000 people manybe.... You get a thousand investers at around 1500.00 a head that should cover it.

Heck I'd invest up to 5,000.oo but that just to much for some people. Its an idea

[edit on 27-9-2007 by pweagle]found some more ideas

[edit on 27-9-2007 by pweagle]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
An even better solution than buying a silo is buying one of the now decommissioned communication bunkers around the US. Many of these were built by phone companies during the Cold War and are designed to withstand a megaton bomb blast within a mile of the property. Most of them come with a few acres of land are are usually between $250k and $300k. Still a lot for a house, but many of them also include a tower on the property that you can lease to the cell phone company or another broadcaster. There's one in Missouri that has working water, generators, scrubbers, and air dehumidication systems for under $300k right now that looks interesting. If I could only work remotely...

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Taliesin

That sounds like the way to go.
None of the drawbacks I mentioned earlier. Do you know of any listings for these?

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
A friend of mine works for the government doing background checks on people. The facility he works in is located in what used to be a mine of some sort. Apparently it's pretty huge, and has all kinds of cold-war-style storage bunkers for some of the richest people in the world.

I wouldn't mind having a place like that, either!

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Missilebases.com (previous link) is one of them, you can also check with your local telephone company. Qwest in Idaho doesn't have any bunkers nearby, but they did sell about 5 of them off a couple years ago in northern ID, eastern WA, and Western MT.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation

Everything else could house massive hydroponic labs for food and oxygen production.

www.missilebases.com...
More silos for sale :-)
i like where your going with this massive hydroponics lab idea of course of course...for food...yeah thats it....food

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Ooops, 403 Forbidden error on missilebases.com now. I'm guessing the traffic they got from BBC's web site must have been more than they could handle, maybe they closed the site temporarily to avoid going over their bandwidth limit.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to sell something like that, considering how much they cost and how narrow of a market they have.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Some of the larger properties on that site have been there since I started looking 2 years ago. The only ones I actually see move are the sub 500k properties, and even then I've only seen one or two sell in the last two years. Most deals like this actually go through the private seller or through the government. The Office of Property Disposal is a good resource for finding out about local bunkers, I've talked to the rep in the West a few times and he has been helpful in tracking open properties. Unfortunately, most actual missile silos have been decommissioned and destroyed, but those are only a small percentage of the government owned or previously owned bunkers out there. In Boise the local school district sold it's bomb shelter about 3 years ago. It can't handle a nuke on top of it, but it is definitely safer then being on the surface and has the square footage to be comfortable. We threw a LAN party in it back in 04 and it kept 150 gamers comfortable for 3 days.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I just remembered a special I saw on TV about these silos. There was actually one that had a public high school built in it after it was decomissioned. I thought it was odd because schools are supposed to have fire exits and stuff...

So is it any cheaper to buy bunkers directly from the government?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
something like this could also be the ultimate coffin

take a walk around and look for weaknesses

you're 10+ feet underground
with an unknown # of attackers topside
they're probably thinking
" if someone can afford this, they can afford a lot of supplies in there "

if i were to look for a weakness
i would look for the air vents, see how many there are
kill some small animals
let them decompose for a week
and then throw them down the air vents
and wait by the front door and other exits

if you have a lot of family/friends down there with you
it could only be a matter of time before panic sets in

now where's your water supply ?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Uh... those vents are built to keep microscopic particles of radioactive fallout, not to mention chemical and biological weapons, from getting to the people inside.

D'ya really think they couldn't keep a dead animal out?

Running water? Comes in from wells, and probably runs through one tough cookie of a purification system before it gets to the people.

Defense? What the heck, obviously anyone buying a place like this is a freakin' millionaire, so let's just assume there are no restrictions on the budget for this one scenario.

Guard your silo base with a few of these bad boys: ARROWS

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join