It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows XP keeps changing my theme.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I'm one of those guys who likes the old look of windows better than the actually XP look. So I go to the screen properties menu and change the theme to "windows classic" and for some reason it changes back to the XP theme after I restart the computer, but when i go back into screen properties "windows classic" theme is still selected. Can anyone tell me why this occurs?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Here's how you kill it for good:

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance Options -> Adjust for best performance -> Ok

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Here's how you kill it for good:

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance Options -> Adjust for best performance -> Ok

Thanks mate... I hope this works

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I did what you said... it worked the last 8-10 times i restarted... but now it did it again...

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by chris_dk

That's very weird. Get yourself an updated anti-virus and possibly an anti-spyware program like AdAware then run a boot-time scan if you can.

Sounds like your registry is being hijacked by a bug. I could be wrong, but better take no chances.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
reply to post by chris_dk

That's very weird. Get yourself an updated anti-virus and possibly an anti-spyware program like AdAware then run a boot-time scan if you can.

Sounds like your registry is being hijacked by a bug. I could be wrong, but better take no chances.

I just reinstalled windows.... and it still does it all the time.... the only way I can pass this problem for sure is to install windows blinds, but it shouldn't be nessesary...

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
i have the same problem. usually its due to an error that happens writing your settings to memory during the shutdown sequence. I have no idea how to fix it either, i've just been dealing with it for years now.

I also like classic look, and imagine if I was ever forced to use vista, I would switch that to classic as well (if its an option)

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I tried looking for the answer elsewhere online and it seems this is a common problem with no absolute fix because there could be many reasons for it.

An XP version of the common cold?

Here's a link to a discussion off site with a whole bunch of remedies you can try out:

CNET Forums

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
mymy i hate when xp does things like that,the adjust for best perfomance thing SHOULD have worked perfectly,its is possible to have spyware or some virus but i doubt.
well maybe xp does it in the start up,or it dosnt save the changes?
uve updated your windows wright?
oo just get windows blinds and FORCE THE THEME ON XP
that will show him

top topics

join