It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parallel universes really do exist, according to a mathematical discovery

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrappedSoul
And isn't the energy needed to create a whole new universe quite big?
I can say one thing, math can't explain everything... If it does then I'll create a stupid math formula which says that the universe is actually a hotdog.

For you sir, it may be a hotdog.

By this, I mean that we each create a universe that's unique for ourselves. True, people have to coexist in a universe, but we each perceive our worlds differently. This leads one to the conclusion that they may in fact be able to, in some small way, change the universe. Perhaps our perceptions are all just a reflection of our unique universe.

I've always wondered how others see the things that I do, and hear the things that I do. Do they hear them the same way? Is music the same for them, or is it completely different? What about TV? Do they see the same things that I do?

As an interesting sidebar, if we look at the Bible for an interesting quote, we see that Jesus makes one that's somewhat controversial in John 10, Verses 33 and 34:

33: The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
34: Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

My question now is, What do we make of this statement, if Jesus himself is calling us each Gods? If that's the word of God, then we must assume that our destiny lies with something quite amazing.

Just some thoughts.

TheBorg

[Edited for P.S.]

P.S. Oh, one last thing. I would prefer my universe to be a gigantic donut. Can you get me an equation for that while you're making one for your hotdog universe? Thanks..

[edit on 26-9-2007 by TheBorg]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I would like to post a link to Death doesn't make sense according to physics.

There was a discussion going on about the Big Bang theory and my thoughts about the creation of the universe. The idea of another 'reality' creating this one did not go over well at all.

My posts start here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's funny to compare the responses to the possibility of other realities from this thread and that thread.

[edit on 9/26/2007 by Spoodily]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I'm not sure if I'm following this correctly.

Say there are multiple universes that have split from every decision we have made. What do they split into? Do they split into *every possible* decision that "you" *could have* made? Or does it split once into a random possible alternative decision?

It may very well split... But what would cause "you", or the matter that makes up "you", to continue on a completely different path? There would have to be some sort of external influence to alter the state of this matter inorder to change it's path?

Without this external influence wouldn't the split universe just continue on the same path that you're on now anyway? * Or atleast a mirrored path.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by Comatose]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn
We may each inhabit our own universe, with the people around us only being shadows, or non-sentient copies of beings that live in their own universes.

In your universe you will live forever, become an anomoly, a god amongst men. All of those you know and even those you argued with here on ATS will die off and won't even be a memory. You, however, will never die, and become a living idol of a galaxy spanning civilization. I type this message in my universe, and you recieve it in yours. From your perspective I will die one day, but you shall not.

However, from my perspective all of you will be the memory.

Ever have deja vu? That's your universe being reprogrammed to artifically extend your life beyond the catastrophy that was meant to happen to you. In another universe, one you in fact branched off of, you died, and maybe I watched it happen.

Prove me wrong.

This has been my nonsensical post of the month. Please don't argue with me because I'm not going to defend this insanity. It's just something I thought of at this very moment when reading this parallel universes stuff and figured it sounded interesting enough to post. I'm pretty sure I originally theorized something like this when I was ten, especially the deja vu part.
Anyway, I'm going to bed, peace and chicken grease

dear god man...your a genius. I have been trying to figure this stuff out since I was 12! I NEVER even thought of that.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
If time, is an extension of any given dimension, then theroetically, isn't it possible for us to be created, or not created in the future, and that we as ourselves are actually, traversing in the opposite direction? Since people have the theory of the multi-verse, couldn't the multi-verse actually have its origin all in the same verse, which is infact the big bang, that no one can explain? If this is the case, would we not already be what we are, or what we could be, in every possible universe that existed, prior to our existence, and would we not be there and not be there all at the same time? Who is to say what we are or what we are not, this very scientist is nothing and something, yet its how you perceive the flow of information as to how the decision you made impacts you, and the multi-verse at large. Does it exist? In our universe, it may, in another, it may not.

Regards,
Camain

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I had already either heard of or thought up this myself years ago... I forget which. But yeah, if you randomly jump out of your seat or raise your arm right now for no reason, it will apparently alter the universe you are in. How minute do the changes go, though? I would guess that there must be an infinite number of universes for all of the most infantesimal changes, although they may make infinitely small changes in future outcomes. For example, scratching your arm once or twice will cause a different number of dead skin cells to fall off. Minor things could also cause major changes though, such getting sick when if you had only been exhaling instead of inhaling or had your head turned 5 degrees more when they coughed, you may have avoided catching it.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
What am amazing find, so im another universe i am with Rachel luttrell, best news ive heard all day. Great find OP.

ProTo

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Nice find OP, Starred and Flagged!

This is the sort of news i enjoy, something that makes me "think" about something so much its mind boggling.

I sort of have an idea of how the parallel universes works as i have had a strange experience with the subject matter first hand.

There are some very good posts aswell in reply to this thread, i love these kind of topics it makes a change from the silly front page headlines like paris hilton and the mcanns, and all that other crap the papers and tv stations spew out to dumb us down.

(Thats why i never read a paper or watch tv anymore)

If only there was a way to observe these other universes?

UNI=ONE VERSE=CHAPTER

IN HISTORY HIS - STORY

Have a nice day.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Now that I know where the hot-dog from the microwave went perhaps I can get some sleep. I knew I'd woken up for some reason.

The Hot-dog Theory

I'm off to search for the Universe in which I do not have Insomnia tonight. Wish me luck.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
While it is entertaining, I think we have to be careful about mathematics dictating reality. Indeed there are many mysteries like that of the double slit experiment that seem to imply the aspect of consciousness, but at the moment these things only exist as equations without any observable facts.
Don't get me wrong, it would make for a magical reality. Personally I'm more interested in what part consciousness plays in the observable universe (that one we barely understand at all). There are enough mysteries in this universe to keep us busy without resorting to the ones on paper, hard discs and mathematicians minds.
It's most probably our perception of quantum physics thats at fault.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by squiz]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I read about this in fiction form some years back, in Michael Crichtons excellent book Timeline
More info here

I won't say anymore about it in case anyone wants to read it, suffice to say it deals with multiverse and timetravel in a very interesting and entertaining way

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Ya know its all well and good for mathematics to SAY its possible. Get back to me when they physically prove it.
Funny those that will rail at religion about lack of proof will accept and believe stuff like this. Hm. Go figure.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   

www.breitbart.com...

Well my mommy taught me this, parellel universe thingy a long time ago,

You cannot possible know me or understand me, nor I you, if there is a you that is, neither I or you exist, we are the mind and imagination of the great imagination.

We thought the beginning, are trapped in the cycle, but will remember the eternal when we let go of form.
farm1.static.flickr.com...

Every scenario of every event that can be played out in the universe is thought, we are pure thought.

We are the illusion and the delusion,

Imagine the numerous thoughts that fly through your mind daily.

What was not yet imagined and fell in love with the image, of his imagination.

What was not yet fought for existence.
You were by my side,
We broke through.

And lost our souls.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I'm not trying to disprove this but if you think about it there are a LOT of parallel universes. For every keystroke here that I'm doing it's creating one because I could have easily typed an X instead of a D. Think about it, for every decision you make, there are an INFINITE number of parallel decisions you could have made. For every step you take, every breath you make. That last breath could have been 1 2 3 4 10 seconds longer than what it was. SO this is really cool and if I understand correctly there are a heck of a LOT of parallel universes

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Scientists now believe there may really be a parallel universe - in fact, there may be an infinite number of parallel universes, and we just happen to live in one of them. These other universes contain space, time and strange forms of exotic matter. Some of them may even contain you, in a slightly different form. Astonishingly, scientists believe that these parallel universes exist less than one millimetre away from us. In fact, our gravity is just a weak signal leaking out of another universe into ours.

link

This was from a 2002 BBC show. Interesting to note that they think these parallel universes can be less than one millimetre from us.

So what is the veil that makes them invisible to us, different light or vibrational frequencies?

Is there a copy of you reading this article? A person who is not you but who lives on a planet called Earth, with misty mountains, fertile fields and sprawling cities, in a solar system with eight other planets? The life of this person has been identical to yours in every respect. But perhaps he or she now decides to put down this article without finishing it, while you read on.

The idea of such an alter ego seems strange and implausible, but it looks as if we will just have to live with it, because it is supported by astronomical observations. The simplest and most popular cosmological model today predicts that you have a twin in a galaxy about 10 to the 1028 meters from here.

link

Im no scientist but based on the link above it does seem there is some physical evidence to support the idea of parallel universes.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by etshrtslr]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
You all are for more versed in this information than I, however, reading this thread, a thought occurred to me. Is it possible that these "parallel" or alternate universes actually occasionally cross paths?

My mother tells a story of, as a little girl, meeting her "doppelganger". When I was a child, I watched my sister playing with a ball in another room, and call to me to come play, however, she was actually sitting on the couch behind me. I will never forget that experience. I grew up believing it was a demon in disguise, however, now I think a cross over of an alternate universe may explain them.

Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I am still skeptical about parallel universes. I do believe in overlapping reality but not the type mentioned in the previous post.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
In my estimation, the real benefit of parallel universes is not in present accessibility but in eventually being able to venture into the past.

Einsteinian theory states that a physical object cannot be made to travel at the speed of light, when time stands still. To travel into the past one must be able to go beyond the speed of light. Accordingly, that is impossible in the physical sense.

But that does not mean that it cannot be done in other ways that are beyond current scientific understanding.

To be able to time travel into a universe that is identical yet parallel to this one and to do so without changing or effecting this, the original time-line, one iota.

That is the future practical application of parallel universe awareness.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Great post! I've heard of this theory before ( might I say, while on an "inner-cosmos trip", don't want to break any rules here
) and I love it when science follows psychedelics ( now watch all the haters do their thing!
). Couple thoughts:

1) Trying to understand this is like trying to understand infinity. I for one believe that our existence is infinite, so the theory makes perfect sense.

2) To me, this also helps me understand ( although impossible to completely understand ) the nature of "God" ( for lack of a better label :cool
. "God" to me is infinite, and existence is the infinite manifestation of God.

3) I love the topic of reality existing in our consciesness, and this theory does seem to provide a segue into that discussion. It's the old question of do we seek outward to understand this existence, or does everything exist inside ourselves? Very Zen.

For those with doubts, and especially for those who completely discard these theories ( to include string theory ), you probably live in a world full of doubts. I would suggest trying to live without so many limitations. It's quite liberating.

ATS TERMS AND CONDITIONS

[edit on 9/28/2007 by benevolent tyrant]

[edit on 9/28/2007 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This parrellel universe stuff is ancient news to comic book and role playing fans and I'm sure there have been plenty of Twilight Zone type shows and movies on the subject.

I had an experience at 12 where I confronted a being I was terrorfied of.
About eight years later I stood in the same spot it was in, in the same dim lighting, with the same huge knife I saw in its hand.

The overwhelming sensation at that moment was that my younger self was standing in front of me and all I could think of was how sorry I was for scaring the beejeezu out of that kid.

Then it dawned on me, I'd experienced a overlapping of time/dimensions.

By the way dejavu has nothing to do with multiple dimensions, its your brain
catching up with the sensory input its experiencing with a delay, kind of like
an echo or reverb but of the cognitive kind. A bioelectric loop if you will.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join