It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about Jewish Masons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I am signing for a friend of mine to join lodge, but he is Jewish, I know plenty of sites sell masonic Bibles, but what would I do for someone that was Jewish?He would most likely not choose to take his oath and obligation on a Bible, and I know that the degree work comes from the Old Testament,in our lodge it is standard practice if you first line sign for someone, you buy their Bible for them as a gift,is there a masonic Torah?If so where could I find one?Thanks.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by brotherforchrist]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by brotherforchrist

Never seen a Masonic Torah.

A quick google search brought up some pretty anti semitic / anti Masonic sites...

Not sure what to tell you, I imagine SOMEWHERE there has to be at least one Masonic Torah. Did you ask him if he minds the Bible? .. As you said, its almost all from the Old Testament. Of course I know its kind of a shame he cannot use his own Holy Book.

When I get more time I will look through some of the Masonic sites that sell Bibles and see if any of them sell Torahs.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Thanks,like you said I tried to do a quick search yesterday but all I got were anti sites and racism,page after page,and I looked at a few sites that sell only masonic items,rings,bibles,aprons,gloves,hats etc, and didn't see anything.He is a pretty laid back guy, but I know if I were asked to take an oath on a book that I did not follow, it would bother me to an extent, because if it is something that I don't believe, then how could I take a binding oath,and where would the meaning of the O and A be. I know that TSVOTL can be whatever book one believes is sacred/holy. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a Masonic Quran either.Would that mean in a primarally Jewish or Islamic lodge that they would just have regular Torahs or Qurans?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by brotherforchrist

As with your lodge it is traditional in our lodge to give the new brother a small gift when he is raised. I have not been able to find any reference to a Masonic Torah either. May I suggest an engraved Trowel?

In the mean time I will talk with a Rabbi I know and if I can locate one I will post the link.

Great idea on your part though.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I am a Jewish Mason. I took my oath on the regular Masonic Bible that includes the Jewish Bible and New Testament. I personally don't have a problem with it (at least half the book we agree on, right?), but some people might. You can just substitute a regular Jewish Bible if its an issue... why not ask the guy?

If you're just looking for a gift after he's raised, I'd suggest the Stone Edition Tanach... it's one of (if not "the") the best English language translations of the Jewish Bible. It's more geared towards Orthodox, but even as Reform I appreciate the translation.

[edit on 9/25/2007 by JustMe74]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Thanks, it looks beautiful.What do you think would be more appreciated?Black or White?I think symbolically white may be more appropriate.I still have to get the application,but once he is voted on and in I will try to have the Tanach for his degrees.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I have the "Hunter Green" full size version.. any of them are appropriate though. If he reads Hebrew, it has the Hebrew on the right pages and the English on the left pages; the footnotes at the bottom are fantastic as well, I have to say, for someone who is studying the Bible.

top topics

join