It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone's Favorite Ninja Might Be Seriously Ill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Sup yall.

I haven't really told anyone about this yet, but I haven't been feeling very well in recent weeks. It has gotten worse lately, and I have finally sought medical attention.

At this point, it looks as though I may have Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

If that is what I have, then I'm about a month overdue for treatment. I do not remember ever getting a tick bite, but I did go on a hike through the woods in Nolensville, TN, about a month ago, and the two other people I went out with have both been diagnosed with the disease, and we share the same symptoms.

Apparently, you don't have to get a tick bite in order to contract the disease. Just coming in contact with a tick or their feces (which they just randomly drop wherever) can give it to you. I have also been told that 40% of RMSF patients never show signs of a tick bite, or the famously associated rash (which I do not show).

Did you know that there are only about 800 cases of RMSF diagnosed each year in the U.S.? Why do I have to be one of the lucky ones?? :bnghd:

Anyways, blood work is being done... so I should know for sure if this is what I have in a couple days. But I have already been placed on medication since the docs are pretty sure that's what it is and the earlier I start meds, the better. The pill battery consists of a pain killer and a super-antibiotic.

It isn't uncommon for severe and/or late diagnosis cases of RMSF to result in complications, including death and neurological problems. Of course, that only happens to a small percentage of people, so let's just hope I can eat these pills for a few weeks and come out unscathed!

Just wanted to let everybody in on that.

-Ninja OUT

[edit on 9/24/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Ninja,

Boy oh boy...I don't know what to say here bud....

I read the link. yikes

I can't imagine what you're going through right now. Probably scared, worried, feeling very ill...

I have to ask you. Did the tests come out 'positive'? Do you know for sure? I know you're awaiting the results from your blood tests right now.

Now that you've sought medical attention, did the doc's lean in the direction that you might possibly have this?

I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you bud. Sending MEGA positive vibes your way.

Please let us know the results. Please stay positive!

~Ducky~

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Oh Ninja..I'm with Ducky here...Never underestimate the power of a positive mind....
Now as for me..I use naturopathic remedies for everything...but I believe perhaps you should do a round of anti biotics first..before even researching that.Keep your chin up buddy...we are all pulling for you to get well.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   

[edit on 24-9-2007 by AccessDenied]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Aww thanks! My first Get-Well Card. hahah!

I really appreciate the support guys. Makes me feel good.

But don't worry too much about me... I'm sure I'll be just fine. I'll just keep feeling like crap for the next few weeks.

I'll be sure to keep everybody up to date on this.

[edit on 9/24/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

Your welcome...just focus on getting well....

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
AHHHHHHH MAN!!

I have had that before and i can tell you, if you feel anything like i felt i am definately with you in spirit. I have never felt so BAD with a capital C in all my life. I had a heater on in the middle of summer!! I had serious cold chills etc and my body wanted to know nothing of physical exertion.

Hope you get well soon bud.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
man, that's harsh.

The good news is you can cure it, right?

Keep us posted. If there's anything a bunch of netizens can do for you online, let us know -- if your surfing fingers get tired out or whatever, we can surf for you.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Positive vibes being sent your way ninja, Stay strong and keep believing you healing! Just remeber one thing, ninja's don't get sick, the just become less healthy for a little while

Stay strong buddy, U2U if you need anything!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Stay up player. Your ATS family is behind you 100%. Its good that you are well enough to make light of a seemingly bad situation (with the rash), and it is good that your symptoms were not diagnosed too late.

I dont see why the name of the bug is Rocky Mountain Spotted fever, but you caught it in TN? Just another anomoly of life

Keep your head up and dont let any spotted fever get you down.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Hey take care ninja, im sure were all wishing you a speedy recovery.

mojo

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Just a little update... I have been officially diagnosed with RMSF as of tonight, and will continue the doxycyclin prescription.

Just a side note here though... currently, there isn't a way to 100% confirm RMSF in patients. No direct test exists. They pull a blood sample and check levels of the IgM antibody. If you have the symptoms, and eccentric IgM levels, you get diagnosed as RMSF.

So it is deduced, not directly confirmed - nobody sits in a lab with a microscope and says, "Ah ha! I see the bacteria right here in the patient's blood!"

One of my two friends told me today that their doctor seems to think that it might not be RMSF afterall, and that it might be some new hybrid with similar qualities. This doctor says that he has seen these symptoms a lot lately, and suspects that something is going around. None of his cases involved an actual tick bite. It is also very interesting that RMSF is usualy only diagnosed 800 times per year in the US, yet this one Doctor in Middle Tennessee has had numerous cases all within the past month?

My ATS mind can't help but wonder if some new fangled disease is floating around as a result of the recent water shortage/drought, and the recent movement of West Nile through Nashville. I'm probably just over analyzing though.

I will be very interested to talk to that friend more directly, and try to get more out of her about what her doctor said. I may even attempt to contact this doctor directly for inquiry.

My friends' symptoms have continued to progress, in spite of being on doxycyclin for about two weeks. I still have high hopes for a quick recovery though.

BTW - All of you guys are awesome!! The kind words and support mean a lot.
My ATS Family ROCKS!

[edit on 9/26/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Right here ninja. Wishing you that speedy recovery OK? I know we have not met much on the boards but we are all family here...
So here's to you buddy...I'm pullin' for ya...

[edit on 25-9-2007 by AccessDenied]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Wow.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I'm sure you'll recover without a problem.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
One reason that it can't be directly diagnosed is that the organism is a Rickettsia.

Those kinds of bacteria are difficult to culture (requires a chick embyro), and they're very small at .1 micrometers.

Good luck and hope you get well soon!

[edit on 26-9-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Is there a doctor in the House?

Seriously, though, I'm glad you're getting treatment, but I AM concerned by what you say about how many people have this, and how rare it supposedly is, not to mention that your friend is not appearing to get better.

Is there any way you can get a second opinion? Getting antibiotic treatment for a disease you may not even have is not good for you, or the environment, not to mention the fact that it's helping make superbacteria.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but from what you're saying, it might bea good idea to go to another doctor just to be sure.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

My diagnosis comes from Vanderbilt Medical Center... I'm not sure I could get a more credible answer in Nashville. What I've got is either RMSF or some closely related bacteria. So whatever I have, antibiotics should help. Additionally, I have a Mild Mitral Valve Regurgitation (MMR) that makes my heart susceptible to bacterial endocarditis (bacterial infection of the heart). My Dr. at Vandy said that RMSF and related diseases can infect the heart in patients with MMR. So putting me on doxycyclin is both a pro-active and preventative measure.

The only thing they can do is give me an antibiotic and hope it gets better. If that doesn't work, the next place to go would be the Infectious Disease Center and talk to some epidemiologists. From there, the CDC in Atlanta.

[edit on 9/26/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Just a little update here..

I have 3 days left on the doxycycline, and I'm starting to feel LOADS better.
I am still running the mild fever and all, but other than that, things are looking up!

Expect your Ninja to be back in action very soon. Thanks for all the love!

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yay Ninja! Sending massive loads of positive thoughts your way...

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm Cured!

I've been off the antibiotics for a day or two now, and I do believe that I am back to normal! Woo hoo!

I have yet to go back to the doctor for the official all-clear, but I'm sure there's nothin' but DEAD rickettsi floating around in my system.

Thanks again for all the positivity from everyone! You guys rock!

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join