NEWS: A Certain Something in the AIR in NYC Subways.

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Researchers from Columbia University have discovered that the NYC subway system produces large amounts of dust composed mainly of iron, manganese, and chromium. Which is 100 times greater amount than people are exposed to in other indoor or outdoor areas.

"This study in no way suggests that people should avoid riding the subway. There are no known health effects at the levels that we observed in the NYC subway system. Furthermore, reducing subway ridership would just increase surface traffic emissions," says Dr. Steven N. Chillrud

www.earth.columbia.edu...

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Looks like i'll be staying out of subways for a while...

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet

Well the researchers said they found no health threat. But still something to think about.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot

Originally posted by DarkHelmet

Well the researchers said they found no health threat. But still something to think about.

ya but what would happen if the reasearcher told the truth and said it was actually dangerous?

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
nothing would happen. it's the city, man. the air here sucks most of the time. if you want clean air move to the suburbs. sadly that's how it is.

the cars and trucks are worse. at least the buses are being switched to those new "clean air" ones.

i'm not a chemist so i can't really tell you what's going on there, but you do have to remember the subway tunnels were dug many many decades ago.

as a side note ridership would not decrease even if you told people there was tear gas down there. it's the only way to get anywhere at least in manhattan. there's no parking anywhere so driving's out. the busses take an hour and half to cross town (avg. speed calculated at a whopping 3mph) and cabs sit in traffic and charge you 20 bucks to go 4 or 5 miles. the train will always be the main way to go for us. i hope they're more environmentally careful when building the 2nd ave line shortly.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
good point, i really have never been on a subway so i wouldn't know. i liv in the foothills of cali

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   

See the alternative? You know city folk are always in a rush

On a serious note, it would be an important thing to find out the source of such chemicals and treat what's necessary to correct it. Could it be some old pipes? There's been a recent MASSIVE effort downtown to dig up 100 year old lead pipes and # and replace them. Maybe rotting piping and corrosion is doing this?

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Ok another theory... ever been on the subway? Ok if you have you'll probably remember the hideous screeching noise that the train sometimes makes when the driver hits the brakes. Maybe when the brakes grind on the tracks it's causing this metallic dust to fly out. All I know is it's damn loud and causes sparks. The problem is replacing the aging track system would probably cost billions. At least the train cars are new and tell you what time it is

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I bet it smells better than the abundant urine stench. I have actually walked out of a terminal b/c of that smell

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
you know with all of that dust, I still bet the air is cleaner down there. Anyone who has stood on a corner in Manhattan would probably agree lol! Another thing is that people have been taking that subway since befor all of us were born and if they lived we should be okay too. Personally I'd be more worried about getting hit by a cab crossing the street to the subway stop than about the air in the tunnels.

~Urban

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Ok another theory... ever been on the subway? Ok if you have you'll probably remember the hideous screeching noise that the train sometimes makes when the driver hits the brakes. Maybe when the brakes grind on the tracks it's causing this metallic dust to fly out. All I know is it's damn loud and causes sparks. The problem is replacing the aging track system would probably cost billions. At least the train cars are new and tell you what time it is

On the London Underground the brakes are asbestos lined. as a result there's a fair amount of asbestos in the dust down there.

The Underground also has it's own breed of mosquito, found nowhere else in the world. Apparently they're believed to have descended from Mosquitos which collonised the tunnels a few hundred years ago during the building of the network.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I've never been in the NY subway, but I know there was something pretty nasty in Newark airport the last time I was there. Probably as a result of a Mexican pizza and 4 pints of Bud

top topics

join