It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shedding Light on the Evolution of the Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This is in response to a post in another thread, and I thought it would be better to post it here.

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Cold Metallic Voice

I know, do they take us for actual apes? we evolved bigger brains for a good reason.

Yes, but most humans only use 20% (I personally believe it is processing power rather than a particular portion) of on average. If humanity culturally and mentally evolved to further develop what is already theirs, a lot of the problems in this world would really be moot. I think of the human brain as a quantum computer that is so grossly underpowered that it is no wonder we suffer as we do. Think of it in terms of ram on a hard drive. The more ram you possess, the faster you think, the more capacity you have to wrap your mind around complex issues and even the day to day ones. If your average person was to say increase his or her brain power to say 30%, then all that extra processing power goes to making your life all the more livable. For instance, are you always forgetting where you put things? Well I see it as a lack of power for the brain to allocate enough thought to better retain the memory of where you exactly put your car keys. Or becoming more aware of all the little details in your environment, such as paying attention to where one is going, or being able to better comprehend a joke.

This is something that most people don't realize is possible NOW. Merely by focusing one's mind on expanding their mind can we all start attaining better and more productive lives, without advanced technology and really the reason that more people don't do this already, is because our society and constructs are built to maintain a basic level of survival (even with all the technological marvels that humanity possesses currently) that just does not foster the advanced capacities of the already evolved human brain. Try it.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I like this post and want to "Try It" however you have given me no tools or suggestions to do so. Do you mean through meditation or speed reading or flash cards or mental exercises or pills?

The drug CX717 belongs to a family of compounds called ampakines and works by boosting the brain chemical glutamate that makes learning and recall easy. Source: news.bbc.co.uk...

Please tell me how to increase my brain capacity.

regards....kk

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

I thought I might have been a bit too sparse, so this is all you need to do. Just set aside some time (start with 20 to 30 minute sessions then graduate to perhaps an hour to three hours once you get used to it) where you can lie back in a dark room (your bed will be perfect) stare at the celing (or you can close your eyes, I did it with my eyes open), focus your thoughts, and think 'I wish to expand my mind', "I am expanding my mind', and remember if you find a slightly better way to think it in order for you to be relaxed, then think it in however would be easiest way for you to repeat over and over in your mind.

Honestly, it is simple repetition designed to focus your desires to expand your mind, and come to a better understanding of the world and getting more out of life than just the bare minimum. Try this every day for a week, right before you go to bed, get in the habit of trying it and you will see that finding those lost car keys, or just ignoring those jerks at work will come much easier. If you wish to continue, then do so, the more you practice the easier it becomes, and you will soon really start seeing life in a whole new light. Which is just from the perspective of someone who can effectively absorb and process more of the vast amounts of information that bombard us from a day to day basis.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
[edit on 26-9-2007 by GideonHM]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Thanks to all who are viewing this thread, and if any of you have any questions pertaining this, please feel free to ask, and I will do my best to clarify more on this subject if you like.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
instead of lying back for 30 minutes saying expand my mind wouldnt it be better to use your mind, maybe read a book, solve puzzles do some math. i see the mind like any other part of the body, if i want bigger biceps i will do dumbell curls i wouldnt lie on my bed and say expand my arms. The mind improves the more you test it, just like the body, studies upon studies over the years have proved this. Are you being all new age or are you basically saying pay more attention to the world around you and keep focused. thanks

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by R-evolve

Well, if you don't want to try it, fine. Brushing ideas off that you refuse to try is just a self fulfilling prophecy and doesn't prove anything. Good for you.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GideonHM

Well, if you don't want to try it, fine. Brushing ideas off that you refuse to try is just a self fulfilling prophecy and doesn't prove anything. Good for you.

i dont know what this means, seriously i'm not being a smart arse i geniunely can not make sense of it or how it applies to my comment

[edit on 5-10-2007 by R-evolve]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Honestly? You said reading a book or taking a test would be more effective, were rather rude about it, and you did not even give it a chance before making your statement. Besides even if you did, if you aren't honestly willing to give it a chance to work, then it won't. It's your mind, do what you want with it, just don't tell me something that I know works will not, when you just don't know.

new topics

top topics

join