It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ahmadinejad Speaks During Controversial Appearance at Columbia University

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Sorry but I just watched the introduction by Mr. Bollinger and at no point he said anything close to what you claim he said, I think you were mistaken, did you watch it yourself, he said pretty strong stuff towards the President of Iran and that's was it. He address both audiences in the auditorium and watching on TV but nothing to the fact that you claim he said.

That's my take on it, you should either retract you statement of clearly show when he said it.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Has anyone ever gone to Iran for vacation or for work related reasons? I think that would be the only way we could get conclusive answers in regards to his claims. I would love to hear input from anyone who has been their.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
[snip] his answers were ridiculous like his statement that there were no gay people in Iran.

When did he say there were no gay people in Iran?

He said they do not have the homosexual phenomenon like we have here. That means they have not made it more popular to the point that it is a phenomenon.

Our media has made it look like its a cool thing to do at least in the eyes of our youth. They have not done that.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

When did he say there were no gay people in Iran?

He said they do not have the homosexual phenomenon like we have here. That means they have not made it more popular to the point that it is a phenomenon.

Really? That's is the most comical spin that I have heard so far, propaganda goes both ways and you are trying to serve it big time.

He did said that there was no gays in Iran, the question was about gays rights and he said that they don't have gays in the country, it was so embarrasing that everyone in the audience started laughing.

And save me the next spin, I already now what it was, he was misinterpreted, there you go.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

He did said that there was no gays in Iran, the question was about gays rights and he said that they don't have gays in the country, it was so embarrasing that everyone in the audience started laughing.

And save me the next spin, I already now what it was, he was misinterpreted, there you go.

"In Iran we don't have homosexuals like in your country," he said, to laughter and boos from the audience. 'In Iran we do not have this phenomenon. I don't know who's told you that we have this."

I would say this would need to have been heard in its original form to understand what he meant. It depends on emphasis and what words you place the accent.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
For the way the audience reacted, the way me and my friends reacted when watching it live and the way is been reported it looks like he said what we all heard he said, I'm not going to play the semantics game with this guy.

If he comes tomorrow and clarifies then good, but as of now that what he intended to say, IMO.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
i think the man thought that he could get away with another one of his unchallenged speeches.An ivy league assembly couldnt possibly be without asking him the hard questions.he should have expected them.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The speech made me so angry. They asked how gays and lesbians were treated in Iran, and he said there were none.

In fact, there are. And they are persecuted and killed.

What a sicko, I hope he gets assassinated.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
The speech made me so angry. They asked how gays and lesbians were treated in Iran, and he said there were none.

In fact, there are. And they are persecuted and killed.

What a sicko, I hope he gets assassinated.

From my very limited understanding a man over there is not considered a man until a very late age of like 45, and so boys can do whatever they want until then. After they become a man being gay is the death penalty.

Ok here is something really funny…

What if that stupid kid that got Tazered at the Kerry forum actually did that there and started asking old Ahnmadadingdong if he was part of the skull and cross bones, and how does his country treat alien grays and reptilians… Just think of the look on his face…

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Xtrozero]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Unfortunaly there is a huge language barrier, English (especially in the US) is a very simple language, it’s direct and does not have much of different interpretations unlike other languages.
He phrases his answer in a poetic way (due to the idioma) that can give different meaning and interpretation to his words depending on how you want to listen to them.
Americans are very stubborn and they think they know basically everything ,this is their biggest problem. Their lack of history and geographic knowledge is shameful and does not have equals in the world. Without knowing where you come from historically, or even knowing where you are placed in a simple world map make the US a step behind Iran and almost any other nation in the world, it’s also a disgrace for the entire planet earth. How can a nation based on individuality and false morals without a real culture judge other countries? On the other side this is what made the US such a gr8 nation. Knowledge is the enemy of a free world and a gr8 nation is made of gr8 sheep and great patriots.
PS: I know its hard to believe it but I do honestly love the US and I know its made of some great people, I just wish there would be a lot more of them around.

More than denying ignorance we should fight it.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by piacenza

So are you saying that he was misinterpreted again?

I don't really care if one culture allows gays or not, but if is not tolerated just come and say so, IMO it is a blatant lie that Iran has no gays and IMO it will be more of a lie if he comes out and say that they are tolerant of gays.

But no worries, I don't think we have heard the last about this particular statement, the media will do anything to find a gay Iranian now so he can share the true story of this aspect, so stay tune.

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It just could be that iran has no gays, why is it so impossible?
Further more they gay issue has not been closed regarding if it's genetic or not, there is no clear answer to that yet, the last time scientists were asked , the answer was a clear no, more ironic is that one of the scientists researching this matter was part of the study group and he did mention he was gay, he didin't like it but did agree with the other scientists on the matter so maybe gay people are influenced in a period when growing up or maybe not, who knows, because this issues still remains unsolved, unsolved scientificly.
So it may be very well that iran has no gays because of it's culture.

[edit on 24-9-2007 by pepsi78]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
To invite some one to your University only to take cheap, pathetic pot shots at them is the epitome of academic misconduct. Bollinger should be ashamed of the way he treated his guest. If I know one thing about the Iranian people it's their great sense of hospitality, and to do such a thing to an Iranian is doubly insulting.

I agree with Ahmadinejad's views on Israel and the Holocaust. He is spot on

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

But no worries, I don't think we have heard the last about this particular statement, the media will do anything to find a gay Iranian now so he can share the true story of this aspect, so stay tune.

Lets say for arguments sake that he did say this.

Who cares what he feels about homosexuals?

Who cares if he feels the Holocaust is mostly Zionist propaganda?

We may be on the brink of WW3 with a possible nuclear outcome! Screw your heads back on people!

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
To invite some one to your University only to take cheap, pathetic pot shots at them is the epitome of academic misconduct. Bollinger should be ashamed of the way he treated his guest. If I know one thing about the Iranian people it's their great sense of hospitality, and to do such a thing to an Iranian is doubly insulting.

Yes, wellcome to the country of the free and the brave, we invited you to speakm but first let us bash you a little bit before you even say a word.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
Yes, wellcome to the country of the free and the brave, we invited you to speakm but first let us bash you a little bit before you even say a word.

Quite so, it was such a low brow attack as well. If you want to invite a guest speaker that you don't agree with and put forth your objections, great! He had such an opportunity to show academic excellence with inviting some one to speak who you vehemently disagree with but he blew it big time!

Here is something that might have been more appropriate:

"The United States has a proud tradition of upholding freedom of speech and that extends to those who we disagree with, and in the case of President Ahmadinejad, to those you vehemently disagree with. Even though I completely and utterly disagree with his views I welcome him here in the interest of academic investigation. Please welcome the President of Iran"

[edit on 24/9/07 by subz]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz

Good for you! I guess we will let the future tell us if what he says is true or not. You know I'm kind of insulted too when a shapecharged IED made in Iran kills one of my buds, and so that has a tency to piss me off.

So I guess you can say we are even?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I can gaurantee no one is going to be tasered and ejected should they ask tough questions.

also, how many questions are going to be doctored by governmnet officials.

what a farce.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
It just could be that iran has no gays, why is it so impossible?
Further more they gay issue has not been closed regarding if it's genetic or not, there is no clear answer to that yet, the last time scientists were asked , the answer was a clear no, more ironic is that one of the scientists researching this matter was part of the study group and he did mention he was gay, he didin't like it but did agree with the other scientists on the matter so maybe gay people are influenced in a period when growing up or maybe not, who knows, because this issues still remains unsolved, unsolved scientificly.

I totally agree. I know of a friend growing up that had homosexual relations because he could not get girls to look at him sideways. Then later in life because it was socially unacceptable he made the decision to be straight. This same person is very satisfied for this decision and is very happily married to a woman he adores.

Some may be born that way, but I think they are a very small minority and we have no reason to be telling our children this is something that is just fine. They should know this is a hard life (no pun intended
) and that they should maybe rethink this.

The majority of this acceptance comes from Hollywood and is directed towards young white America. What are the majority of the ones pulling the strings in Hollywood? Zionists maybe? Hmmm...me smells a rat.

Edited for clarification

[edit on 24-9-2007 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

And can I please know why you direct your post at myself?

Have you run out of coherent words and explanations just give me a rant about how ignorant I am?

We are here discussing what he said today, the war thread I think is the other one.

May be the don't have gays like the other posted suggested, but I tell you this, just find one gay Iranian and that would prove right there that this guy is a liar or out of touch with reality, two scary things when you come to realize that this is a Head of State that we are talking about.

I'm really sick and tired of people that thinks that just because you don't agree with some views that makes you ignorant.

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Bunch]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join