It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ahmadinejad Speaks During Controversial Appearance at Columbia University

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Ahmadinejad Speaks During Controversial Appearance at Columbia University

www.foxnews.com

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad responded to a scolding by Columbia University's president Monday by objecting to the manner in which he was introduced.

After sitting through the blistering introduction by Lee Bollinger — in which he was lambasted for calling for the annihilation of Israel, denying the Holocaust and supporting the execution of children — Ahmadinejad said it had been an "insult."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/24/07 by FredT]

[edit on 9/24/07 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
"At the outset, I want to complain a bit about the person who read this political statement made against me," Ahmadinejad said. "In Iran, we don't think it's necessary to come in before the speech has already begun with a series of complaints ... It was an insult to me and the knowledge of the persons here."

The Iranian president raised a variety of topics including a responce to the introductary speech about the Holocaust. He also clearly is targeting specifics against the US government. he made refernces to government spying on its citizens and the right of Iran to have a peacefull nuclear program. More as it develops

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I tell you what, in the face of extreme opposition the little dictator is holding his own.

Why is this turning into a Holocaust debate? What are the ulterior motives?

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The Iranian President is now taking Q&A from the audience. the topics are ranging from point blank questions about the discussion on Isreal as well as his position on the holocaust, and female and homosexual rights

other news Stories:

Tough welcome at Columbia for Iran's Ahmadinejad

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

one thing is for certain, he is a very smart man that seems to be playing the same game...maybe he knows too much that even he knows the world isnt ready for and yet at the same time, he is taking the calm and relaxed route as if he knows he just has to sit and wait til the next move is made.

it looks like he is ready for any question unlike bush who states "i wont comment on that or just rambles on to other topics"

"theres time for politics and theres, uh, theres time for politics"

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
He just stated the iran does not have the "homosexual' phenomenon in respo nce to a question about gay rights in the country

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

The Holocaust debate is because of his stance on the issue. Im not surprised at all it was brought up.

I agree with you he is holding his own.

His speech also touches on several themes that trouble many in the US like domestic spying.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think it's pretty clear that Ahmadinejad didn't pull any punches about homosexuals.

I don't know if was a tactful move, but at least he was honest. It's really the only ground he's given up so far.

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
His speech also touches on several themes that trouble many in the US like domestic spying.

He's also said in not so many words that the U.S. has a part in the "terror" that's happening in the ME.

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This guy is an utter fool!

For all of you homophobics out there you can all move to Iran there is no gays in that country.

On the serious side, he was ask if he was calling for the destruction of Israel and he went on ignoring the question and just gave the same propaganda that they feed to their people. Gladly Mr. Bollinger took him to task and ask him again to answer the question and he decline and went on and do some more rambling. Whoever try to spin this is just nuts. Here he had a chance to express clearly that he is not calling for the destruction of Israel as a state and he did not answer.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

For all of you homophobics out there you can all move to Iran there is no gays in that country.

Yeah, in fact send all the Christian right along too. After all, they are against homosexuality too, except when caught out partaking in back door shenanigans, then it's ok

On the serious side, he was ask if he was calling for the destruction of Israel and he went on ignoring the question and just gave the same propaganda that they feed to their people. Gladly Mr. Bollinger took him to task and ask him again to answer the question and he decline and went on and do some more rambling. Whoever try to spin this is just nuts. Here he had a chance to express clearly that he is not calling for the destruction of Israel as a state and he did not answer.

Perhaps, like many, he's just so tired of hearing it and rightly treats that particular question with the contempt it deserves.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
OK, let's all go over to FOX and watch the childish spin!

Edit to add: Wanting a yes/no black/white answer to everything is ignorant. Reality is somewhere in the middle. Both sides have differing point of views. Our Israel is Ahmadinejad's Palestine. Wanting a yes/no answer to that question was not intelligent.

Peace

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
He just stated the iran does not have the "homosexual' phenomenon in respo nce to a question about gay rights in the country

lol, i assume he denies it exists, is that what you meant.

On the questions and him being able to speak, he probably has spoken so many times of these questions that it is easy for him to answer. Also there probably was not that hard of questions knowing what normally happens. What i saw of him he presented himself well, and certainly does well speaking in front of a crowd.

On the stuff about hitler coming to usa in the 30's, was there really that much hatred of hitler in the 30's in america or is it just the media making that up. Probably in the 30's hitler was not that hated in the usa. I don't know but i doubt it, so he could in theory of spoken there, like Ahmadinejad did today.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The spin isn't only on Fox. CNN is also spinning away. Their saying that Bollinger's challenge that he didn't have the "intellectual whatever" to answer the questions was accurate. I don't think so. He answered quite well imo. I did notice though that he wouldn't use Israel's name.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Please don't try to spin it, he was ask the question that many people here on ATS refers to as been misinterpreted. He did say he don't hate Jews I give him that. But he was ask if he calls for the destruction of Israel as a state and he decline to answer plain and simple. There is no spining in that.

He had the chance he had the forum to give a clear and sound answer and he fail miserably.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Please don't try to spin it, he was ask the question that many people here on ATS refers to as been misinterpreted. He did say he don't hate Jews I give him that. But he was ask if he calls for the destruction of Israel as a state and he decline to answer plain and simple. There is no spining in that.

He had the chance he had the forum to give a clear and sound answer and he fail miserably.

Ah yes, but he did put forth his thoughts by saying, "What about the plight of the Palestinians?"

[edit on 24-9-2007 by intrepid]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

But he was ask if he calls for the destruction of Israel as a state and he decline to answer plain and simple. There is no spining in that.

It's not a yes/no answer. There's a complicated history there whether you want to believe it or not. His answer was trying to make you see where he and his people are coming from. He's not a stupid man, the answer had to be given delicately.

And if you think he gave all his answers delicately, see: homosexuals. I think he gave us a reason for war right there, the freedom to be homosexual. Oh, but that would be a little hypocritical, wouldn't it?

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I only saw the last few minutes, but i assume the people in the audience were all preconditioned to accept the medias view of what he said and meant speaking at home in iran. Is that really what you call balanced.

From what i have read, the person that introduced him tried to belittle him, before Ahmadinejad had a chnace to speak, is that how it happened.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

And he was well within his right to try express his views from the Palestinian side after he gave a clear answer to the original question that was asked.

Can you imagine if he just said, : "No in not calling for the destruction of Israel as as state, I love Israel and his people, all of that about me saying that is propaganda by the war mongers that want to justify war with Iran, all we want is Israel and Palestine to leave in peace"

How about that for a change. Like the other poster said he would not even mention Israel by name.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The man is a fox in a henhouse. He is as wiley as they come. Feign ignorance when asked the tough questions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join