It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's new "Life Support System", (Renewable Water)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I just read this article from the NASA website and found it really disgusting.

This redesigned hardware, the Exploration Water Recovery System, is a novel combination of proven air and water purification technologies and optimizes the treatment of various wastewater streams. The system reclaims urine and condensation from perspiration and through a series of treatment processes, creates water clean enough to drink.

This makes me not want to go into space. I wouldn't want to be drinking sweat and urine, no matter what it goes through. Just the thought of it makes me want to stop drinking water from the fridge. I hope we can harvest water from another planet or the moon. Maybe we can somehow change the sun's energy into water in the future.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Well, then I hope that you don't get your drinking water from your kitchen tap. That's reclaimed and cleaned, and it was said when I lived in London that the water in your drinking glass had already been through seven sets of kidneys before you got to drink it. Not to mention the estrogen in the water from all the women on birth control pills.

Urine is actually sterile when it comes out of the body. If the salts and other waste is removed, there's nothing wrong with it.

Though I admit, it does give me a bit of revulsion thinking about it, I'd still deal with it if it meant I could go to Mars.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Reminds me of the stillsuits the sand people wear in Dune.
i can't remember the names of the people. It's been a while since I read the books.
Drinking urine and sweat sounds gross, but as long as it tastes ok I'd be down with it.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I guess you can ask Singaporeans what their water tastes like.

NEWater

NEWater is the brand name given to reclaimed water produced by Singapore's Public Utilities Board. More specifically, it is treated wastewater (sewage) that has been purified using dual-membrane (via microfiltration and reverse osmosis) and ultraviolet technologies, in addition to conventional water treatment processes. The water is potable and is consumed by humans, but is mostly used for industry requiring high purity water.

I don't see any difference to that or this NASA technology.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan5647
I just read this article from the NASA website and found it really disgusting.

This makes me not want to go into space. I wouldn't want to be drinking sweat and urine, no matter what it goes through. Just the thought of it makes me want to stop drinking water from the fridge. I hope we can harvest water from another planet or the moon. Maybe we can somehow change the sun's energy into water in the future.

*SNIP*

A scientist calculated everytime you breathe you breathe in 1 particle of ceasers last breath...

*SNIP*

Mod Edit: Decorum.

[edit on 1/10/2007 by Mirthful Me]

new topics

top topics

join